PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 £4,000 (at least) thrown away...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Author Topic: £4,000 (at least) thrown away...  (Read 62854 times)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: £4,000 (at least) thrown away...
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2007, 11:53:50 AM »

aye have a goodwin from me too eliquently put exactly what i was trying to say

mainstander

« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2007, 04:07:57 PM »

not quite sure how we have lost £4,000. Never knew we had it to begin with. Welling would not have been a certain win as well. More we have missed a chance to gain some money. Thats gain some bonus money that would not have been expected.

Have people really got the mentality that Altrincham FC have the god given right to win games, thought we had got away from that way of thinking and that is why we are moving forward.

We are doing very well in the Conference National and have only been knocked out of a Trophy that is about as highly regarded as the Cheshire Senior Cup.

I would be concerned if it was league game against a team fighting for points with us but it was only an FA trophy game.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2007, 04:30:16 PM »

Having watched them for over thirty years, I am well aware that Altrincham FC do not have the God given right to win every game!

The fact remains that we were initially drawn at home to Tamworth and that was certainly a match that we were capable of winning (no disrespect to Tamworth, obviously....)..
Cue: £4,000 in the kitty.

We would then have faced Conference South side Welling United at home.
Of course, there is no guarantee whatsoever that we would have defeated them.....but it certainly was a possibility (or am I being too positive there?!).
So, a potential extra £5,000 up for grabs there.

We may then have bowed out of the Trophy in the next round, thereby hardly causing a huge fixture backlog.

Other than selling a key player, name another opportunity that this football club gets to earn a potential £9,000 in only four days!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2007, 04:49:56 PM »

I was gutted more in the way we lost than actually losing.Yes,I was disappointed as I really like the Trophy and IF the final is at Wembley,we could had been one of the first teams to play there.

But I would quite happily take going out of the Trophy now if it means winning at Northwich.Remember they now have to play an extra game before the 23rd (if on),thus meaning less rest time.Staying in this league gives us more money than Trophy run can (if I remember,Grays and Woking only made something like 20k due to other expenses).

In summary,league is always priority,Trophy is a bonus,and next year we can geniunely mount a cup run.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2007, 05:09:49 PM »

capable of winning or Winnable.

I keep hearing these words mentioned. Yes it was winnable, Yes we could have won it BUT we didn't. Hardly the end of the world. Not a definate win but winnable.

I also believe we are underestimating a Welling side that are 3rd in their division.

£9,000 was on offer for BOTH clubs though and surely tamworth thought that playing Alty would be winnable for them ? So someone had to come away unhappy.

Fact is we were beaten in the last 5 minutes, not in the first 5 minutes but the last 5 minutes. Its unfortunate but its happened and can we not get on with concentrating on getting enough points to stay in this league.

We are unbeaten in the league for 4 games but no one seems to mention that.... maybe because that is something good to talk about.

We may then have bowed out of the Trophy in the next round, thereby hardly causing a huge fixture backlog.
Would that not have then caused an arguement depending on who we would have got knocked out by though ?

The further we got the more expectation people would have had and the more moaning if we had been knocked out to someone lower than us ? By the reactions we are getting now I'm glad we went out at Tamowrth because if Welling had beaten us some would have been booing and questioning everything at the club !

ps; almost the most replied to post ever on the forum

pps: nice to see my Karma getting hammered, oh my life is over. Shame on me for having an opinion.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:18:20 PM by gazwarrington »

AltySi

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2007, 05:26:30 PM »

Yesterday was disappointing, but these things happen. We were the better side yesterday but it was 2 poor sides on the day in all honesty, though the heavy pitch and swirling wind didn't help. It wasn't a good match to watch at all.

It is gutting to throw away a lead in the 87th minute and end up losing the game, and I'm sure Tamworth weren't expecting to hit us like that but they kept going which is fair play to them.

We do clearly have a problem away from home, but I do believe we will win away from home in the league this season, don't know where, but I think we will.

At the end of the day I am more concerned with Conference survvival, so as nice as a trophy run would have been, I would much prefer to win at the Lamb 21st of April.

I'm sure GH is doing everything he can to solve our away problems but at the end of the day no matter what anyone says we are punching above our weight in this league so every point is hard earned. It seems to me like some people simply expect too much.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2007, 05:30:40 PM »

Gary,

You are not the only one whose Karma rating is taking a hammering!

Nice to see that the thread provoked such a strong reaction.
It shows that people care about this club, if nothing else.

You are a 'glass half full' man and I'm a 'glass half empty' observer.

So, how about the following wager?
It may not raise £9,000 for the club but at least it will add £10.00 to the finances!

I remain deeply troubled by our woeful away form, whereas you (somehow!) remain positive.
So, how about:

If Alty lose at Vics - you donate £10.00 to the club;

if Alty win at Vics - I donate £10.00 to the club?

(If it's a draw, we can both contribute a fiver!).

Believe me, if I end up paying out £10.00 I will be the happiest man on the planet!

Are you game?!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »

I'm up for that. I'll take that wager sir.

You are a 'glass half full' man

Looking at it like that is the only way I keep going  ;)

I would be delighted with a draw v Vics, but only because its away. A derby game like this is the sort of stupid game Altrincham would win.

Of course heres to the first away win v Woking - Keep the Faith.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:36:42 PM by gazwarrington »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2007, 05:43:30 PM »

Gary,

Right, you are on.
I'd better pawn some of the wife's jewellery to raise £10.00 just in case.....

Woking on Saturday must represent a chance of a sneaky away win.
There seems to be a lot of disillusionment with the manager there and St Albans recently won at Woking with only ten men.

It surely has to come....

I honestly can't believe that we could survive relegation without recording at least one away victory.   

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2007, 05:51:03 PM »

Right time to stick my neck out, and proably be totally proved wrong BUT I reckon once we get the away win (at Woking or at worst vics) we will go on a little run. Break the duck and things will be ok.

Look at the away games we have left. IF we can get a win at Woking then there is no reason why we can not continue that on to vics, southport and maybe Crawley. Knowing Altrincham though we will probably beat Burton, Morecambe and Stevenage away instead  ;D ;D.

Woking
Vics
Southport
Crawley
Burton
Weymouth
Morecambe
Stevenage
St Albans
Daggers
Tamworth

The home form, as usual will be what saves us from relegation.

Could do with being save before we play Tamworth again though. That could be a MASSIVE game.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:53:38 PM by gazwarrington »

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2007, 07:25:36 PM »

I'm liking the end of the away season for the London based fan. ;) Some nice days out there.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2007, 09:39:11 PM »

This thread is rather Port Chatesque.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »

I know exactly what you mean Jimmy.

It's sad to see some contributors viewing this debate in the light of a 'stimulating discussion' when in reality it seems to me like there are some potentially devisive comments coming to the surface.

I often surf the Conference website and I'm often amused by your comments on various threads on there but there seem to be a couple of other 'regulars' on there who have brought their 'chatroom pontificating' on here and I can't say that I like it much.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to their opinion and long may that continue.

I would like to remind everyone on here that we are all dyed-in-the-wool Alty fans (otherwise what are we doing on here?) so let's keep on getting behind the team and giving our 100% support.

We all know our shortcomings and the difficulties the club has faced and almost surmounted in recent years and we all have amitions in relation to that. How many of us have dreamed of seeing league football here (80's and 90's especially)? It's not going to happen in the foreseeable future - but it could happen one day if we keep building steadily.

I loved my three days out at Wembley - who wouldn't? - but I wouldn't want to go again at the expense of relegation.

We're struggling a little less than last year - and next year we may not struggle at all if we can afford to bring in a couple of fresh faces.

When we're solidly a mid-table team, that's the time to enjoy cup adventures and the money they bring in will take us even higher - as it has done for the likes of Burton.

Let's just focus on building ourselves up a bit more and consolidating in this league. It's not a lack of ambition, it's just sheer commonsense - the kind of commonsense Geoff and GH and others have shown to get us this far. Yes no cup runs is very disappointing but it's not the end of the world - playing in the Conf North with just over half the gates we enjoy now would be in my opinion (although I'd still be coming along with most on here).

Finally, one last point the 'Goodwin' and 'Peake' points are, at one level, a bit of a laugh but is it just me or have these become a bit spiteful in some cases recently? Let's not degenerate into that sort of thing.

I love Altrincham FC with a passion and have been following them since my mid teens wne I used to come on the bus and train from North Manchester every week. I'm now an old git of nearly 57 and I still get the same buzz when we score - I'm sure you all do - so let's keep our comments constructive, stay behind the team and the management (and eachother) and not turn into a whinging load of b*****ds like those on Port Chat etc.,

Come on you Robins!

PS: Sorry for the rant!

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »

Superb post and has now made it the most replied to topic on the 'new look' forum.

and I have added another, wonderful  ;)

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »

I don't think anyone's saying they are not 100% behind Alty are they?  ???

I don't like it that as soon as anyone puts forward a different view they are accused of not being behind the team. What I've read on here seems to be disappointment that we're not in the next round of the trophy. People are continually being accused of not thinking positive, so when they state that they think we should make an effort in the trophy (which is a positive thought), they get slammed for that too!  ??? Bizarre.

I'm sitting on the fence on this one, but I think both POVs on the trophy debate can be considered equally valid. The draw's come out for the next round and if we'd beaten Tamworth & Welling we'd have got another home draw against Worcester (I know it's all 'ifs'), but we could have had a pretty decent chance of getting further on and a few extra quid, but I also appreciate what people are saying about fixture congestion etc. Fortunately what we do, what competition we're in etc. is out of our hands and in those (or the feet of) the players. We'll do what we always do (and will continue to do so) is to get behind the team. That's all we can do :)

:)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 £4,000 (at least) thrown away...