PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 £4,000 (at least) thrown away...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: £4,000 (at least) thrown away...  (Read 62595 times)

Altysmiffy

Re: £4,000 (at least) thrown away...
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »

Excellent last message! Spot on!

Lets not dwell on a missed oportunity in the Trophy, lets be grateful that, Graham, the board & everyone at the club have managed to get the club into a far better position on & off the field than we have any right to be in.

There's always next year for the glorious cup runs!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »

Didn't we say that last season?!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »

Didn't we say that last season?!

And we'll carry on saying it until it happens & beyond!!!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2007, 06:54:41 PM »

Never mind a "glorious" cup run.......I'd be euphoric if we just managed a win over Trafford or Radcliffe Borough in either the FA Cup or Trophy!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2007, 07:59:53 PM »

Wow, you guys should be awarded a phd in missing the basic point. Conference survival is not mutually exclusive from success in cup competitions!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2007, 08:20:53 PM »

Funny how everyone else seems to be missing the point but one person (you) is not ?

I think the whole point is don't dwell on things when there are more important things to worry about (conference survival)

lets stay positive rather than finding negatives. We could dwell but what use is that to anyone ? Surely better to be positive than negative, maybe thats just me being mad.

yes we would want to win the FA Trophy, FA Cup and League but we are not so lets just get on with the job in hand now which is staying in the Conference National for another season.

I have never used the word 'dwell' so much before  :)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2007, 08:48:29 PM »

someone once said comment breeds debate, thats proved in this thread. and lets be fair its a good thing we are viewing this in such passionate light. but i think it has run its course and were going roundand about on the same points. i'd say that this thread is excellent but its over and we should now let it die.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2007, 08:54:05 PM »

Who made you god ... or is that another debate .. he he  ;)  :-*

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2007, 09:02:40 PM »

I only came on in the first place because i've forgotten my FCUM password  ;)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2007, 09:25:56 PM »

Who made you god ... or is that another debate .. he he  ;)  :-*

well actually i'm self appointed, like george bush, and debate as we all know with him is as incoherant as mine!

Altysmiffy

« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »

I only came on in the first place because i've forgotten my FCUM password  ;)

I'm sure we could think of some!!!!!!!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2007, 10:06:12 PM »

GH appears to have upset some of the Tamworth supporters....!

http://www.tamworthfans.co.uk/Forum2/default.aspx?g=posts&t=2326

At least he also seems annoyed that we lost in the Trophy!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2007, 09:26:23 AM »

Maybe people have been getting the wrong end of the stick on both sides?

I am certainly not happy that we are out of the Trophy at this stage.  I want Alty to do well as they realistically can in all competitions.  However, I believe Conference survival is more beneficial to this club than winning the FA Trophy and, as we are now out of the Trophy, I am trying to look on the bright side.  Simple as that.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2007, 12:25:20 PM »

i think the older fans were very lucky to see altrincham as a successful non league club and still believe we should be there as the younger fans have never really seen the success so don't expect it......... Anyone who watched altrincham in the 70's & 80's (you lucky so and so's ... really jealous) seem to expect more than those that have been watching more recently......... You have seen the glory days and know what its all about, you probably still see Altrincham as that club. but I'm afraid we are not that club anymore.

Just a few points in relation to the above:
Whilst it seems to be true in some cases (notably UC) it's not true with me - I don't expect 'success' in the sense of winning something every year. I had that knocked out of me when, after the successful years in the Cheshire League whe entered the NPL and apart from a couple of occasions never looked like winning the league - although we had a lot of cup 'success'. What stuck in my mind was deferats like 0-6 at Holly Park vs South Liverpool.
Going away in those days was very much like currently I imaginge (I can go to many away games now as I'm on a pension and can't afford it). What I mean by that is we went for the team and to have some fun - winning (and it didn't happen too often as I remember in those early NPL years) was ASPIRED to but not expected. My best memories include going for a pint after a night match at Mtlock and seeing 'Bopper' Taylor in the pub round the corner from the ground. Buying eachother a pint and chatting about the match (can't remember the score but think we won) or coming back on the coach from Ashington having pinched a load of programme blanks in the ground, ripping them up into small pieces and shoving them through the coach roof window whilst coming back through Sunderland 'snowing' the locals (think we won that one as well). Great days with a fantastic club we all supported through thick or thin.

If someone whould have told me then the position we would be in today with our unrivalled non-league heritage (mu opinion) I would have snatch their hands off. We ARE a successful team and just by competing in this league we are having a different sort of "glory" days - we're fighting the big boys nearly every week and holding our own.
The time for dreaming will come again in a couple of years when the clubs foundations are a bit firmer and there's more money about.

I'm fully aware of the fact that Conference survival and cup success aren't mutually exclusive but they are almost so for us with a smallish part-time squad which will tire by the end of the season anyway.

I've been going to come in more on this debate on a number of occasions but restrained myself - and others have said what I would have said anyway - but suffice it to say You've not missed anything Gary - the match at the Brittania Stadium not so long back was, for me, just as exciting and just as much an achievement (if not more so because of the lack of finance) as anything I've seen at White Hart Lane (x2), St Andrews, Goodison, Anfield, Wembley etc (Apart from when we won 6-1 at Macc but that's another story!!!).

Despite the opinion of some people, we're still living the glory days1!

Long live the Supers!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ashley Alty

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2007, 12:31:12 PM »

Supers? 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 £4,000 (at least) thrown away...