Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 01:39:02 PM
268933 Posts in 21991 Topics by 2238 Members
Latest Member: Daycaredan
www.altyfans.co.uk  |  General Category  |  Altrincham FC First Team  |  You Couldn't Make This Up (Part Two) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: You Couldn't Make This Up (Part Two)  (Read 6323 times)
(S)ALTY
Regular First Team

Like this post? +50/-62

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »

According to Mr Laidlair's intrepid trawling of the non league scene on the main website, Gateshead are going full time next year in a bid to gain Football League status !

Now there's a bold (or should that be suicidal) move if ever I saw one for a team that finished one point off the drop.

AND

Mansfield Town have signed an agreement with a local non league side, Glapwell to allow them to play their home matches at Field Mill next season.

Yes that's the same Field Mill that their own manager, Mr Holdsworth described as a ploughed field not fit to keep pigs on if I recall ?

Another team playing there next season will do the pitch a world of good ? 
Mick
Regular First Team

Like this post? +116/-83

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:06:04 AM »

I hope the deal with Glapwell means they get to use the new scoreboard Grin

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
jimmyhank
Regular First Team

Like this post? +24/-16

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:39:48 AM »

According to Mr Laidlair's intrepid trawling of the non league scene on the main website, Gateshead are going full time next year in a bid to gain Football League status !

Now there's a bold (or should that be suicidal) move if ever I saw one for a team that finished one point off the drop.

AND

Mansfield Town have signed an agreement with a local non league side, Glapwell to allow them to play their home matches at Field Mill next season.

Yes that's the same Field Mill that their own manager, Mr Holdsworth described as a ploughed field not fit to keep pigs on if I recall ?

According to my calculations (figures taken from Gateshead main site), their average home attendance for BSP games was 510. Do they have a sugar daddy as full time status does not seem very logical based on those figures.

We are the leading UK charity dedicated to supporting all people with Parkinson's, their families, friends and carers.
York Alty
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »

go ahead gateshead, so long as you are prepared for financial meltdown 18 months form now, go ahead.  Really, feel free. no skin off my nose.

(are the envious of poocastles financial and off field stability and wish to emulate it?)
Bath Alty
Regular First Team

Like this post? +147/-170

technically now Lechlade Alty!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »

They are going to push for league status by offering most of the current squad a new contract, on a full time basis?  That will really help Grin Grin

Weymouth 0-9 Rushden
"Football isnít about who can be the most successful, itís still about the blood that runs through your veins."  Weymouth fan, Feb 2009. 
When will the others learn?
yellowswoop
Youth \ Reserve Team

Like this post? +3/-22

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:01:45 PM »

AND

Sorry I just don't see how you "Couldnt Make this up" About Field Mills pitch, Extra funding is going towards it and it's clearly going to make money for mansfield. It's a very good move.
Brian Flynn
Regular First Team

Like this post? +265/-148

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:15:54 PM »

I hope the deal with Glapwell means they get to use the new scoreboard Grin

Tenants 0 Visitors 1 Grin
Romeo 48
Regular First Team

Like this post? +478/-674

It's only the memories that keep me going

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:38:36 PM »

At least it's not a rugby team - you only have to look at the Edgeley Park fiasco to see the potential problems.

Still better placed than our three Wembley opponents
SW
Regular First Team

Like this post? +262/-232

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:51:35 AM »

Another thing you couldn't make up, at least a few months ago.......Fulham in a European final. What a game and atmosphere tonight, the lad and his mate were ecstatic and bouncing around like no ones business. A great night at The Cottage,........and yes I am still an Alty fan!

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.
Paul Cain's Chip Pan
Regular First Team

Like this post? +374/-275

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:49:18 AM »

Another thing you couldn't make up, at least a few months ago.......Fulham in a European final. What a game and atmosphere tonight, the lad and his mate were ecstatic and bouncing around like no ones business. A great night at The Cottage,........and yes I am still an Alty fan!

I watched it at home and thoroughly enjoyed it. All the big Premier League clubs have failed in their pursuit of European glory and little Fulham are still going strong. Restores your faith in humanity a bit!

Come on Alty!
Saughall Robin
Regular First Team

Like this post? +504/-55

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 09:53:45 AM »

I've always had a soft spot for Fulham since they beat Macc in the FA cup many years ago!

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
George Heslops Moustache
Regular First Team

Like this post? +352/-346

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »

We were watching both Liverpool and Fulham in the pub as they had different TV's showing the two matches. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and laughing at my flat mate who is a liverpool fan as well.

And also, about Roy Hogson, what a man. Great manager, and his comments before and after the game were just superb. Such a likeable man and one of the most genuine in football.
SW
Regular First Team

Like this post? +262/-232

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »

Possible future pub quiz question. If Fulham win the final they will be (to my knowledge) the only club to win a major European trophy having never won a major domestic one, ie FA Cup, League (Div 1/prem) or League Cup.

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.
RedhillAlty
Regular First Team

Like this post? +90/-64

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 08:18:51 PM »

We could also have a situation this season where a team qualifies for the Champions League when not only have they not been Champions for over 40 years, they havent even won a major trophy for 34 years. Wink
York Alty
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »

The Champions League isn't.
Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »
    Jump to: