PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Geoff Goodwin Resigns...in May 2008
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Geoff Goodwin Resigns...in May 2008  (Read 7760 times)

markecky

« on: January 16, 2007, 11:39:18 PM »

From Messenger site....

GEOFF Goodwin will step down as Altrincham chairman at the end of next season.

The shock announcement was made at a board meeting on Tuesday night and Goodwin is set to leave in May 2008.

Goodwin, who became Alty chairman in July 2002, has overseen the club's turnaround from near-bankruptcy to relative financial comfort.

But the owner of the Go Goodwins coach company now believes it is time for him to walk away.

He said: "I haven't got the time to dedicate to the job that it deserves. I want to leave on a good note because I think I have done my job here.

"This is a big decision and it's been really difficult but I have to do the right thing for the club. I've made the announcement a year in advance so that the club can plan for my exit and everything will continue to be stable.

"I'm not going to cut my ties with the club and I'll still do what I can at Moss Lane, I just think it's time for me to step aside and let someone else take over at the club.

"I can hold me head up and walk away knowing I've done things right."

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Geoff Goodwin Resigns...in May 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »

wow, thankyou geoff for all you have done, in advance you realise i'm saying this, and now its settled UC we have to win the Trophy next year for geoff! lol

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:46:55 PM »

A mixture of sadness...

...and relief that Geoff will be around for another year to steer the good ship Alty, we won't find another chairman as good as Geoff but I hope a lot of critical thought is put in to who will take over. This decision is too important to get wrong, personally I wouldn't want anyone from outside the club (for reasons I don't want on the forum)

Aussie Bob

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 05:27:35 AM »

a real shame but he has bought the club back from the brink and by the end of his time he will have got the club out debt and hopefully still in the conference.Fair go the man for giving so much notice so a proper succesion plan can be put in place.When i read about Scarborough , Weymouth , Canvey island Crawley etc who seem to spiral into administration at the drop of a hat you really do realise how lucky we are to have geoff as chairman and his efforts in rebuilding the club and its fortunes.Hopefully he can still be involved at board level in some way and continue to sponsor the team via Goodwins.....a good cup run would be a great way to send him on his way....

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:08:39 AM »

we won't find another chairman as good as Geoff

The is no mistaking what an amazing job Geoff has done. Without him we would probably not exist. It will be extremely difficult to find some better than Geoff, yes. But in every walk of life there is always someone better than everyone else. I am sure we will find a chairman as good or if not better than Geoff.

If the board look hard enough, due to the time period of notice given, I am sure we will find someone equally as suitable, if not better. I hope so anyway.

But suffice to say, thanks Geoff for everything, and making Altrincham the club it is today. A truely fabulous job well done.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 09:18:21 AM »

I too would like to thank Geoff for helping save the football club which I like many have supported since being very young.
I'm sure many fans of other clubs will say this too but Alty are more than just a diversion once or twice a week and Geoffs long term outlook and financial sense has I hope put us on the straight and narrow for a long time.
In football I believe that consistency is the key and Geoffs commitment to the management team has helped us build a side fighting well above its financial weight.
I would like to see a similar type of business person take control of the club in the future, a short term "I've got loads of money, were going to win the league" type will probably lead to five or six years down the line to us all yet again ringing clubcall to see if the club has gone out of business.
In addition if any future money is invested in the club I hope that the board will accept the money as a gift and not allow chairmen to right such donations off as loans.

Many thanks Geoff
Simon Ellis
Bernard Taylors barmy army

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »

Well where do you begin ...

Geoff always said he was here to 'sort the club out' and he has certainly done that. How many expected it to be done so quick ?

A few of us were only talking last week about if he'd go next season with the finances all sorted and the club heading in the right direction.

"I can hold me head up and walk away knowing I've done things right."
YOU CERTAINLY CAN MATE

Not many football clubs can say their chairman is stepping down and it won't effect the finances of the club. That just shows what a good job the WHOLE board is doing and hope continue to do. For most clubs a chairman leaving will spark talk of problems financially but Geoff has actually sorted out all finacial problems that he inherited before leaving.

THANK YOU GEOFF
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:49:01 AM by gazwarrington »

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 09:43:35 AM »

A massive loss for us. Thank you for all you have done at the club a true ledgend... Great to hear you will still try to help out when possible.

Once again many thanks
Come on you red and white........

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:57:28 AM »

Wow, I'm really saddened by this news :( He's done a tremendous job despite not being a 'football man' as he's said himself. He's done such a good job that I am a tad worried about who will take his place.

Thank you Geoff and I hope that we can make your last year a success just for you! :)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:59:32 AM »

Thanks for everything - in advance - Geoff.As the saying goes, you've made an old man very happy!  :D

Do we need anyone else to come in when he goes? Couldn't the remainder of the board carry on with things in the same spirit as they have been doing?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 10:28:21 AM »

Cant thank Geoff enough , a true Alty legend!

Jacko

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 11:59:53 AM »

Cheers Geoff ;D YOU HAVE BEEN A BREATH OF MUCH NEEDED FRESH AIR FOR ALTY ;D

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 12:41:09 PM »

Thank you very much Geoff.I don't know if I can say anymore that's been said.Let's hope then that next season you see the fruition of the success you and others have made of this club (ie cup runs,trophies,solid league season).
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 01:33:45 PM »

Much has been rightly said about how Geoff has steadied the good ship Alty on the financial front. But for me Geoff’s biggest achievement has been to bring unity and pride back to the club.
I was fortunate enough to see Alty’s League wins, trophy wins and giant-killings, but as I’ve often said, the achievements of the club in the last two or three years rank right up with those glory years. To get Alty into the conference on a shoestring budget with our heart-warming never-say-die attitude is no doubt credit to the management and board  - lead and inspired by Geoff Goodwin.
No club is perfect but we’ve certainly progressed since the in fighting and turmoil of years gone by.
Thanks Geoff, you’ve given us our club back – you’re a hero.
On a side issue, if a degree of redevelopment takes place on the back of the Craney money and the car park sale, could we have a “Geoff Goodwin Stand”?

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 01:45:01 PM »

On a side issue, if a degree of redevelopment takes place on the back of the Craney money and the car park sale, could we have a “Geoff Goodwin Stand”?
Mabe the Popular Geoff goodwin Side? yes i kno kno cheesy...
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team