News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 World Cup conspiracy theory

Author Topic: World Cup conspiracy theory  (Read 2728 times)

taxi Phil

« on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »

After last night's humiliation for the French, there is a massive (and obvious) groundswell of opinion that Uruguay and Mexico will tip-tap the ball around for 90 minutes next week in the sure and secure knowledge that a point apiece will guarantee their place in the next round.

The bookies will be offering something like 1-5 the draw. There is, however, a very good reason why this plan is flawed - it's called Argentina !

Neither side will want to play Maradona's boys next, and they're practically assured of winning the group (they'd have to lose to Greece not to - can't see it). If the conspiracy draw DID take place, Mexico would come second, and have to play Argentina. Mexico may well, therefore, go out to win. Sven may be stupid - but he's not a fool ! I can see Mexico going along with the scheme until the board goes up for 3 added minutes, then whipping upfield, nicking a quick one, and shutting up shop.

Uruguay would then almost certainly end up with Argentina, since the winners of France v South Africa could only draw level with them on points, they'd beat South Africa on the head-to-head, and France would need to win by 4 goals to nick it on goal difference.

I'll be interested to see the odds for Mexico to win. 11-8 or better might just tempt me !

Narcissist

Re: World Cup conspiracy theory
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:22:55 AM »

Yeah, I cant see the draw for the same reason. Especially considering the difference between playing Argentina or Greece/Nigeria/S.Korea!

Ont thing though, what has Sven got to do with it, he got sacked by Mexico months ago.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »

After last night's humiliation for the French, there is a massive (and obvious) groundswell of opinion that Uruguay and Mexico will tip-tap the ball around for 90 minutes next week in the sure and secure knowledge that a point apiece will guarantee their place in the next round.

The bookies will be offering something like 1-5 the draw. There is, however, a very good reason why this plan is flawed - it's called Argentina !

Neither side will want to play Maradona's boys next, and they're practically assured of winning the group (they'd have to lose to Greece not to - can't see it). If the conspiracy draw DID take place, Mexico would come second, and have to play Argentina. Mexico may well, therefore, go out to win. Sven may be stupid - but he's not a fool ! I can see Mexico going along with the scheme until the board goes up for 3 added minutes, then whipping upfield, nicking a quick one, and shutting up shop.

Uruguay would then almost certainly end up with Argentina, since the winners of France v South Africa could only draw level with them on points, they'd beat South Africa on the head-to-head, and France would need to win by 4 goals to nick it on goal difference.

I'll be interested to see the odds for Mexico to win. 11-8 or better might just tempt me !

Is that the Sven who's in charge of Ivory Coast now? I shouldn't think he'd care less   ;D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

fuertes

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:06:13 PM »

I'm certain it will be a draw.

This thing about 'avoiding' teams in the Last 16 is the biggest pile of sh*t I've ever heard. You're going to have to play some very good sides in the competition at some stage, why on earth would you go all out attack in your final group game and risk total elimination simply to delay facing a stronger side by one round? Crazy.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »

Sorry about the Sven blunder - hadn't been out of my pit long enough ! Otherwise, all holds good !

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 12:08:21 PM »

Sorry about the Sven blunder - hadn't been out of my pit long enough ! Otherwise, all holds good !

Have a G (and a coffee!)  ;) :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

taxi Phil

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »

I'm certain it will be a draw.

This thing about 'avoiding' teams in the Last 16 is the biggest pile of sh*t I've ever heard. You're going to have to play some very good sides in the competition at some stage, why on earth would you go all out attack in your final group game and risk total elimination simply to delay facing a stronger side by one round? Crazy.

In theory I'd agree. In practice, any manager is going to want his side to stay in the competition as long as possible. Mexico would have to play Argentina if they made the final - so it might suit them to play (for example) Nigeria/South Korea, then England/Ghana, and possibly the Dutch in the semi, and have a chance of buoying the nation for a few weeks, rather than be in with a fair chance of being home rather sooner !

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 11:19:23 AM »

So much for that World Cup conspiracy theory ?

Anyone got anymore ?

Answers on a postcard to Lord Treisman  ::)   

NorthernMonkey

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 05:23:09 PM »

Not a world cup conspiracy, but those 2 fellas playing tennis at Wimbledon might have a few far eastern businessmen rubbing their hands...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:25:56 PM by NorthernMonkey »

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »

Not a world cup conspiracy, but those 2 fellas playing tennis at Wimbledon might have a few far eastern businessmen rubbing their hands...

Why?

I think people would become suspicious very quickly if you asked a bookie to give you odds on the final set in a particular match including more than 120 games!
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Dougals Dad

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 10:40:13 PM »

I hate it when people hog the tennis courts!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team