News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matty Crowell not joining Alty

Author Topic: Matty Crowell not joining Alty  (Read 3728 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:45:32 PM »

From www.altrinchamfc.com

MATTY CROWELL

Altrincham FC joint Press Officer, John Edwards, writes:
"Hopes of seeing Matty Crowell pull on an Altrincham shirt again have been dashed after it emerged he is living in South Wales and likely to sign for Conference newcomers Newport County. The former Alty midfielder was a huge favourite with Moss Lane regulars, after forming an impressive partnership with Tom Kearney in his brief spell at the club, and appeared to be back on manager Graham Heathcote's radar after cutting short his stay in Australia.

But his return to this country will not lead to a reunion with Alty followers after he chose to base himself in South Wales. 'Matty is living in Swansea, so that's a bit too far away for us,' said Heathcote, who looked to have pulled off a masterstroke by pairing Crowell with Kearney before the former Northwich midfielder accepted an offer to play for Australia 'A' League side Central Coast Mariners last August.

'That's often the way it is when you are looking to sign players at this level. It's down to where they are based. 'He has been doing some pre-season training with Newport, so you would imagine there must be a fair chance he will end up joining them. I'm still looking at players and talking to some, with a view to strengthening the squad further, so I hope there might be some news on that before long'".

Come on Alty!

jamestimperleyrobin

Re: Matty Crowell not joining Alty
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:03:57 PM »

disappointing but there are plenty of out of contract players available with his quality.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:23:41 PM »

disappointing but there are plenty of out of contract players available with his quality.

if he's originally from south wales and has gone back there from oz it is hardly a surprise that he will be signing for a club nearer to his base.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:02:14 AM »

Hopefully we can finally stop talking about him on here like he was the best player to ever play for us. He only played a handful of games ::)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »

Hopefully we can finally stop talking about him on here like he was the best player to ever play for us. He only played a handful of games ::)

I don't think anyone ever insinuated that he was the "best player to ever play for us". However, he was a very good player and we missed him after he left last season.

I'm sure we'll make more good signings before the season starts though.
Come on Alty!

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »

Shame this, was hoping to see him at ML again, but never mind, still time for a new face or two in the next few weeks.

jamestimperleyrobin

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »

if he's originally from south wales and has gone back there from oz it is hardly a surprise that he will be signing for a club nearer to his base.

Okay, my comment related to that how?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Absence makes the heart grow fonder
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:54:11 AM »

I think what cb is getting at is  that while he did well for us in half a dozen games and when he left we seemed to have a bit of a wobble his importance does seem to have been over stated. Perhaps disappointment over the manner of his departure i don't know.

RocketDan

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »

Did you go to Barrow or H&Y away last year? Bossed the midfield.

Ok he only played 5 games, but he looked different class. Basing things purely on our position in the table, things went downhill when he left.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team