PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 World Cup Final
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: World Cup Final  (Read 4825 times)

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup Final
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »

I think Howard Webb should be commended for his referring performance in the final.

The Dutch kicked and cheated their way all the way to the final in my opinion. It amazed me that messrs Shearer & Hansen only picked up on the fact at half time in the final. Van Bommel and De Jong were lucky to still be on the pitch at the final whistle.

If the final had been referereed by some of the more officious and self publicity seeking referees we have seen earlier in the competition I suspect we could have ended up watching a 5 a side match

As for Spain, how anyone can say they deserved it (overall) and were the best team is beyond me ? They played 7 matches and scored a grand total of 8 goals ! Hardly flowing and scintillating football deserving of World Champions.

What a wasted month ! Yawn ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!!!

Jacko

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »

Without doubt one of the better world cup winning teams, possessing the ball is something Spain are amazing at, don't underestimate the pure quality there style requires

fuertes

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »

Without doubt one of the better world cup winning teams, possessing the ball is something Spain are amazing at, don't underestimate the pure quality there style requires

They're excellent technical players, but their diving/moaning/hassling of the ref/asking for the opposition to get cards are so disgraceful that I don't admire them as a team.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 01:45:55 PM »

They're excellent technical players, but their diving/moaning/hassling of the ref/asking for the opposition to get cards are so disgraceful that I don't admire them as a team.

Sadly it isnt just the Spanish who are guilty of this behaviour, You just have to watch Match of the day each Saturday and it goes on there also
Its a part of the game that I find really annoying.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »

I have to concur with Jezza that Mr Webb and his assistants dealt with an extremely challenging yet phenomenally high profle fixture very well despite the 'contributions' of the twenty odd other participants.

Also thanks to Butty for his observation.

It would have been easy for last night to have been the first ever World Cup Final abandoned due to lack of players of the field of play and how would that have seen the game of Football and the English Officials portrayed?

He did his best to keep players on the pitch and to allow the game to (start to) flow.

Assuming that, as suggested by a photo in one of the Daily papers, he was partially unsighted on the De Jong "challenge" a yellow was correct and I'm sure than having seen the video he will have been the most disappointed person in the Stadium

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »

The fans barracking the ref at the end were obviously Dutch fans..

WRONG. Most of the crowd at Soccer city were South Africans and I have it on very good authority that most people in SA were moaning today about how bad the English Ref was. Of course the one-eyed English commentators were surprised at all the booing - which for once drownded the Vuvuzelas.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 11:41:05 PM »

The guy was in a no-win situation ENTIRELY because of the players

Okay so he could have fired two off early doors (Van Bommel & Puyol both committing borderline red card challenges) and it may have settled it down. If it hadn't settled down though there was precedent or benchmark or however you want to define it and any similar challenge would have had to be red after that. Cue potential abandonment!!

Applying the laws to the letter as some folk would wish there would have been SEVEN Spanish Red cards and NINE Dutch not including the Puyol & Van Bommel challenges referred to earlier.

I'll reiterate what has been said earlier Mr Webb did a more than adequate job

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 12:04:15 AM »

I think he did a brilliant job given the circumstances. In a normal game of football, 5 yellows in the first 1/3 of the game would calm things down and less rash challenges. However, both teams had different ideas, and Webb had to give bookings out. There was not 1 booking where you could say it was a harsh decision. The only other key decision he got wrong apart from De Jong was giving a Spain goal kick than a Holland corner just before the goal, but given the standard of free kicks in this tournament, he probably thought it went wide.

I was completely gutted due to putting on Holland to win at the start of the tournament, but there was no doubt Spain deserved it.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

joe

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 11:07:47 PM »

It worked out well for me as in the two sweepstakes at work i got Spain in one and Holland in the other so ended up collecting 90 quid!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 World Cup Final