PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 If I hear any one say...
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: If I hear any one say...  (Read 12382 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: If I hear any one say...
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 12:44:19 PM »

Indeed it is but thats not the clubs fault, we loaned him out to play and obviously thought he had better chance playing for Flixton than for us yesterday ?

We have waited six months so far for a recognised left full back!
Do you know of one we can have and afford then ? Not sure how many free transfer left backs are knocking about, maybe we should ask Crawley if we can look at their list, although I doubt we could afford the wages.

Do you really think we have not been looking for one ?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »

Indeed it is but thats not the clubs fault, we loaned him out to play and obviously thought he had better chance playing for Flixton than for us yesterday ?

We have waited six months so far for a recognised left full back!
Do you know of one we can have and afford then ? Not sure how many free transfer left backs are knocking about, maybe we should ask Crawley if we can look at their list, although I doubt we could afford the wages.

Do you really think we have not been looking for one ?

As I do not know the details of the club's wage structure, I have no precise knowledge of who or what we can afford.
However, the fact remains that the absence of a recognised left back persists and needs to be addressed.
A friend, who watches a lot of Welsh League football, recommended a guy called Chris King at TNS...but I suspect that they are paying him far more than we could offer.
Perhaps we need to take a chance on a promising younger player from a lower league club?
After all, Peter Densmore joined Alty from the lowly world of Ford Motors and went on to be a magnificent full back.
Or perhaps Halifax could loan us a 'spare' left back!     
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »

would we not stand a better chance of affording a left back if there weren't 6 or 7 strikers in the squad, plus a new one now on loan?

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 01:30:32 PM »

Maybe the strategy is to win every game 4-3 in a Kevin Keegan kinda way.

louise1925

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 01:46:21 PM »

Not all doom and gloom really. Most of the teams below us lost, or if not, beat each other. I think the away win thing is looking a bit unlikely especially with bizzare selections. I stick by what I've said a number of times. 5 home wins and a few dodgy away draws should do it and the best way to ensure this is to have a number of strikers on the books, who can score goals. The decision to loan out Pat is mind blowing given his recent performances, but we still have enough strikers to score goals against mediocre teams at home - luckily there are enough of these teams still to play. It's a shame it all has to be so tense though, but I suppose that all comes with supporting Alty! Aldershot, Kiddy, Cambridge, Grays and Stafford still to play at home.
AltyBri

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 01:57:36 PM »

Yesterday was a depressingly familiar end result and product to anyone whose seen us away in the past 2 seasons.

Two fairly mediocre looking sides (the pitch btw was pisspoor, like a rutted field with added sand) and Senior looked very lively in the first half, you think, well at least we can get a point off these. The inevitable (it seems) defensive error/someone falling asleep and bang 1-0 Woking and in the second half we simply did not look like scoring. I can't recall Woking's keeper having a save to make. Something has to change away from home. While the results went our way yesterday, it puts too much pressure on the lads again, next Satd a rejuvenated Kiddy visit the Lane and they will be very hard to beat.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »

think the away win thing is looking a bit unlikely especially with bizzare selections.
Again can anyone tell me who you would have selected differently ?

I would like to see Senior on the wing, nippy player who does not mind taking players on but seeing as this was his first game (without a training session) I can understand why he played upfront.

would we not stand a better chance of affording a left back if there weren't 6 or 7 strikers in the squad, plus a new one now on loan?
I'll say this also again, do you know of any good left backs that are available ?

I also think that Peyton has started to do a job at left back. Has started to look more comfortable.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 04:25:53 PM »

"(the pitch btw was pisspoor, like a rutted field with added sand)"

Looked to me more like sand with added rutted field!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »

think the away win thing is looking a bit unlikely especially with bizzare selections.
Again can anyone tell me who you would have selected differently ?

I would like to see Senior on the wing, nippy player who does not mind taking players on but seeing as this was his first game (without a training session) I can understand why he played upfront.

I'll say this also again, do you know of any good left backs that are available ?

I also think that Peyton has started to do a job at left back. Has started to look more comfortable.

senoir is a striker so that is where i imagine he is most comfortable playing

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 05:03:12 PM »

Senior is a striker but my opinion (granted only after one game) is that he could play out wide as he wasn't scared of taking people on and had some pace to beat players

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »

Do we now have 2 senior strikers?
Full time and proud of it

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 09:09:46 PM »

I thought Senior looked very hungry, lively and committed. Yes, its his first game and keen to impress etc but there is definitely something there and useful. I think  mainly because of his height and stlye too that he needs to play off someone, and would've therefore played O'neill in the centre with him, although to be fair Col was a bit quiet and well shackled yesterday. Also think he could be very useful on the break, need to practise the quick switch play without getting caught offside. I think he'll prove to be a good acquisition.

Woking away is always crap, even if its my nearest game. Last season apart thanks to the cameraderie it is a dead place, and we rarely do well. Two wins I recall since about 1992? Including Gallagher's when Dennis still complained when he scored cos he was out of position!!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 10:38:38 AM »

"were not going to win this year away from home, i just don;t see it coming"

again i swear they will be karma bombed from now untill the end of the season!! lol seriously though it'll come guys, woking are a good team, having not been there today due to sh*t wind breaking my roof i cant say how we played. So i won't make any assumptions like we deserved the win or we were battered, i will just keep the faith that this away win will comeand you guys should too!

Woking are not a good side, and hadnt won at home for two months before saturday, ok they had a bit of pace going forward, static defending for the 1st goal and numerous mis-clearances for the second cost us the game, it had 0-0 written all over it after an hour.Hopefully we can move on and get somthing at southport in a couple of weeks time.

sticky11

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37:57 AM »

Senior is a striker but my opinion (granted only after one game) is that he could play out wide as he wasn't scared of taking people on and had some pace to beat players

He is a striker, and would probably prefer to be played as a striker whenever possible. We played him on the wing and it wasn't his best position, although he will do the job if it is necessary. If you want the best out of Chris, he needs to be partnered up front with a tall strong unselfish striker.

And if you happen to see him, tell him I miss him already!

louise1925

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 12:34:54 PM »

Missed the Woking game, so haven't seen Senior to pass any comment about him. Having said this, Gaz's idea of playing him out wide (since he appears to be fast) with two out and out strikers (Little and Thomson?) for the Kiddy match looks a sensible idea. Though Kiddy have been on a decent run, we more than matched them at their place recently and this has got to go down as one of those home games we can certainly win. With a full squad to choose from and now a bit of pace up front, it doean't look too bad for us, but we will have to start playing well in second halves of games. I haven't seen us play in an attacking sense in a second half for ages. I don't think we are the kind of team, who can allow others to come at us. Mind, if Senior did start on the wing, who would be dropped? Glad I'm not a manager. For the record Gaz, the 'bizzare selection' has been mentioned earlier in this thread - Joe out wide, give us a break! Anyway, heres to three points on Saturday.
AltyBri
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 If I hear any one say...