PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wigan Tonight
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wigan Tonight  (Read 3833 times)

Hemel Dave

Wigan Tonight
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:14:23 AM »

I don't like Wigan.  The fact that they play in the premier league irks me every year.  To me they will always be a Northern Premier League side and worst of all I just think that that could have been us had circumstances not conspired against us.  They were certainly no better than us in the decade before they went up. Whatever team they send tonight I hope we win well and that that it undermines their confidence so much that they begin a descent back through the leagues to the Conference. There, thats better now I've got that off my chest.

taxi Phil

Re: Wigan Tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:09:02 AM »

I've had a fiver on them to go down this season.

Jacko

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »

Surely we should get over this 'we should of been a league club and they shouldn't thing' it was a long time ago in football terms! It was a scandal I agree but can we move forward...finally?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »

Surely we should get over this 'we should of been a league club and they shouldn't thing' it was a long time ago in football terms! It was a scandal I agree but can we move forward...finally?

I think we'd feel differenyly if we'd been around at the time though. I know my parents and others who were watching Alty at the time were of the mindset that it was "when" and not "if" Alty achieved league status and where we would go from there.

We woz robbed!

Come on Alty!

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »

We were robbed yes but it is the fault of the current wigan team, management or supporters.

Move on.

Oh and Grimsby are here this year - I await your next rant hehehe.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »

We were robbed yes but it is (not) the fault of the current wigan team, management or supporters.

I didn't say it was.
Come on Alty!

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 01:22:08 PM »

We were robbed yes but it is (not) the fault of the current wigan team, management or supporters.

I didn't say it was.

I was really replying to Hemel Dave not you matey.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »

I didn't say it was.

I was really replying to Hemel Dave not you matey.

Ok chief.   ;)    :)
Come on Alty!

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 01:47:05 PM »

1994-95  FA cup  1-0 with Chris Sharratts wonder strike (from a yard) that's all we need. Apart from DW's cash its a lower league football club in a rugby town. I couldn't give a toss which league they are in ?  >:(

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »

I say well done Wigan,if it had not been for the old closed shop on the football league we might have been up there with em.
When was the last time we played Hyde United,Wigan and Macc in the same season anyone?
Harold

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »

1994-95  FA cup  1-0 with Chris Sharratts wonder strike (from a yard) that's all we need.

That's doing Shazza a bit of a disservice, actually. He cut in well from the right and fired in a low shot from a tight angle. It was a cracking goal.
Come on Alty!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »

I say well done Wigan,if it had not been for the old closed shop on the football league we might have been up there with em.
When was the last time we played Hyde United,Wigan and Macc in the same season anyone?

If my memory serves me well, wasnt it our BSP compatriots Luton Town FC's chairman that voted for us not to join the league, courtesy of one Eric Morecambe...

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 02:59:29 PM »

If my memory serves me well, wasnt it our BSP compatriots Luton Town FC's chairman that voted for us not to join the league, courtesy of one Eric Morecambe...

Grimsby were mixed up in it too!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 03:29:30 PM »

Nonsense.

In the wise words of Morrissey:

"I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges."

The fact that those two protagonists of the great Re-election fiasco of 1980: Luton Town and Grimsby Town are now Non League clubs is an endless source of pleasure...

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »

A Wigan XI were beaten 3-1 by Kendal at the weekend. Is that our benchmark?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wigan Tonight