PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wigan - MATCH DAY THREAD
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wigan - MATCH DAY THREAD  (Read 7098 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wigan - MATCH DAY THREAD
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 11:22:38 PM »

I thought the first half we looked lightweight up front.

Second half much better with Reeves and Johnson

Lets see hoe we perform on Saturday. 0-0 will be a good result.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »

I thought the first half we looked lightweight up front.

Second half much better with Reeves and Johnson

Lets see hoe we perform on Saturday. 0-0 will be a good result.

need to start with johnson imo would be playing at a higher level if he could score my main concern for new seaon is lack of a proven scorer at bsp level.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 11:57:18 PM »

Just back home.. I thought we played well again tonight especially in the second half.. On a normal league fixture I fancy we may well have had a penalty..

The fitness is certainly there to see.

I feel we have a better balance to the team this season than last... and more depth.. GH and KMc have done well to put together this squad.

I spoke to Matty Crowell on the way back to my car... I think he should have the name Distance Traveller .. He lives in Cardiff and it takes 2hr 45 mins drive.. thats M6, M5, M4 ... Really glad to have him back and fortunately his dad was with him to share the driving..

Good effort the Crowell family...

I am sticking with my prediction of mid table... Once the team gels I reckon we will shock quite a few teams.

Cmon ALTY...

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 12:50:36 AM »

Welch on the bench, thought he'd moved on?

back to that question, anyone know why?

Reckon never being 'match-fit' (for whatever reason), was always something that influenced GH when it came to decide who would be released in the summer.
I was pleased to see Welchy there tonight.......I still think he is a good player to have around the place and can always come on and do a job at the back or even upfront.......provided that, we have the budget to be able to keep him.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:52:49 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

markecky

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 07:17:08 AM »

As people have said. we looked limited up front purely because as far as I could see we had Denham up their on his own, obviously to get some feel for Luton.

Second half we opened it up a bit and at times played some good stuff.

For me it was a joy to see Dale Johnson last night being so strong depsite the attentions of the big number 5 all half.

A good workout against a young Wigan side but I dont think we really let them have many clear chances.

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »

Agree, the no 5 was filth, Dale did well, he is so close to being brilliant, hoping a good run in the team will bring the goals.

seasonticket

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »

Is everyone getting carried away or am I getting too picky in my old age.
Last night we looked like a side that could play a bit but would be taken apart by a half decent BSP side.
Reeves looked OK and was unlucky not to score. Holsgrove was too easily brushed aside far too often by lighweight players. As for Dale I still think he has to prove himself. He runs a lot, but his first touch often lets him down. He also needs to hit the target if he is seriously a striker. Denham up front on his own did nothing. The defence was Ok even with subs, against youngsters. Saturday will give us a better picture.
Overall I was fairly dissappointed. After all the Wigan side was only a youth team.
For those who don't know (I am sure most do) the Wigan keeper Mike Pollitt who used to play for us.

Jenga

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:51 AM »

Last night we looked like a side that could play a bit but would be taken apart by a half decent BSP side.
Reeves looked OK and was unlucky not to score. Holsgrove was too easily brushed aside far too often by lighweight players. As for Dale I still think he has to prove himself. He runs a lot, but his first touch often lets him down. He also needs to hit the target if he is seriously a striker. Denham up front on his own did nothing. The defence was Ok even with subs, against youngsters. Saturday will give us a better picture.
Overall I was fairly dissappointed. After all the Wigan side was only a youth team.
For those who don't know (I am sure most do) the Wigan keeper Mike Pollitt who used to play for us.

I think you are gettting picky to be honest and I dont mean that disrepectfully. You have to remember it was a friendly afterall. Both sides were not at full effect last night.

taxi Phil

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »

Last night was largely about tactics - two totally different formations played. In the first ten minutes of the game, GH was very vocal with the defence as if they weren't doing quite what he'd asked of them (was anyone nearer than me who knows what the beef was ?) but he quietened down as the half developed - maybe because his plans were coming together ? Let's hope so !

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 09:05:29 AM »

I too think you are being a tad critical..  I think once the team settle in as a unit we will be ok..

What I will say is this: I think the persons who have arranged this seasons fixture list has done its best to ensure that Alty have by far the most difficult opening month of games... Apparently it is no longer drawn by computer but by men in suits (who probably dont care for part time clubs competing in the BSP).

I think we shouldnt be too critical of Alty during the month of August as the fixtures are quite daunting..  Having said that I would rather play the likes of Luton and Darlington now, rather than later on when they maybe have a run of half a dozen unbeaten games under there belts..

I think patience is going to be the key word this season.

I still think we are a mid table team....

Cmon ALTY.

markecky

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »

In my opinion you're being far too critical.  Players hate friendles with nothing to play for, no atmosphere, results mean nothing.  It was no yardstcik of how we will play against a BSP team.

And as for Dale, I thought his touch was great last night and the only way that they could get the ball of him was to foul him?

jimbo

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »

good 2nd half .shud start with that 11 on satday

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »

I sincerely hope that Dale Johnson starts the game on Saturday. With our (rightly) safety first approach we will badly need someone who can hold the ball up and retain possession for as long as possible, allowing other players to get forward and join the attack.
Come on Alty!

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 12:44:05 PM »

Welch on the bench, thought he'd moved on?

back to that question, anyone know why?

Reckon never being 'match-fit' (for whatever reason), was always something that influenced GH when it came to decide who would be released in the summer.
I was pleased to see Welchy there tonight.......I still think he is a good player to have around the place and can always come on and do a job at the back or even upfront.......provided that, we have the budget to be able to keep him.
I understand that Michael Welch signed up after the match having shown his much improved fitness and weight loss to GH. Welcome back Michael ;D

fuertes

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »

Ah, great news. I always liked Welch. Good all-round defender, very powerful, and Crawley can testify to that hammer of a right foot.

His only problem was after that long injury layoff he looked literally a stone overweight. Shedding the extra pounds not only means he'll be back near to his best, but also that he's got still got the desire to be a good player. Let's face it, it's bloody hard work slimming down, especially for someone of his physique.

Well done for getting yourself in shape and good luck for the season Welchy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wigan - MATCH DAY THREAD