PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport Predictions
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Southport Predictions  (Read 11414 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southport Predictions
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 12:59:15 PM »

Ahh History!  Our visits to Haig Avenue.

I've only been twice to watch us play (and once to play for Alty Supporters v Southport Supporters: we won 12 -4)

1978-79 1-3 last match in the NPL; title had already gone to Mossley
2003-04 2-2 two early Thornley goals - if we can hold out to HT we can win this, Southport pull one back on 45+2.  Alty team was Williams, Scott, van Blerk, Rose, talbot, Aspinall, Gardner, Craney, Band, Thornley, Adams

As for the mid nineties games: the 2-1 win was our first win of the 95-96 season after 3 straight losses and then 2 draws. Carmody certainly scored, I am not sure who got the other but I thought Andy Allen's only league goal for Alty came two games later against Morecambe.  More than happy to be corrected.

94-5 was a 4-1 win in the fourth game after wins at yeovil and at home to stafford and a loss at home to Woking.
93-4 was a 1-3 in mid season with a strange goalscorer
96-7 was 3-1 to Alty in December
99-00 was another first win of the season after 3 losses and a draw at Kingstonian - with Ellison 2 and Landon on target - not a happy ending that season though!

Omens, omens...

Come on the bare bones!

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 01:08:38 PM »

1 - 3.

Denham 1 and Dale 2.

Don't forget your brolly....!!  :)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »

1995/96 started off with that 4-3 win against Rushden if I remember rightly. A Sharratt header and a blunder by the goalie pelting a kick against Terry's back which went in

Being bugged i've checked and the above was 1996/97, according to the fixtures we played Southport away Sat 14th Dec that season, but i dont remember the score

The 1995/96 season was the one where we lost the opening 3 and didn't win until Southport 2-1 away on Sat 5th Sept, the game you mention. A few games later was Halifax at home where Andy Green scored from just inside the opposition half, whooooosh

Yes, we lost the first 3 but I think we then drew the next two before winning 5 including that one. We'd sold Neil Morton and replaced him with Neill Hardy and were pleasantly surprised that the Hardy&Green partnership was even better.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 01:52:32 PM »

according to the fixtures we played Southport away Sat 14th Dec that season, but i dont remember the score

We won (3-2, I think) and it was Danny McGoona's debut for Alty.

Chris Sharratt played against us if I remember correctly.

As Management Guru adds elsewhere it was 3-1. It was McGoona's debut and he was (as he could be at times) absolutely unplayable. He was unbelievably quick. When he did have control of the ball it was like watching Andrei Kanchelskis - get ball, kick it past opponent, run past opponent, cross ball -and we were well worth our win. Paul Cain came on as substitute and scored the 3rd with a jinking effort at the visiting terrace end much in the manner of Shaun Constable's goal at the same end in the 4-1 win a couple of years earlier.

As an aside, does anyone remember them coming round with a bucket collection so they could 'get a roof put on the away terrace' despite it being the time they were just splashing the cash on their team. I remember at the time thinking they must take us for some sort of mugs.

I also remember getting a burger for £2, someone next to me ordering a cheeseburger and the women got a burger, opened a packet of Tesco value cheese slices (34p for 10), put one on the burger and charged £2.50!!

Said cheeseburger made it's way back into the snack bar without payment.

jimmyhank

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 02:01:26 PM »

1 - 3.

Denham 1 and Dale 2.

Is it not football law to stand there and get completely drenched?!

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »

1 - 3.

Denham 1 and Dale 2.

Good point but the novelty wears off the older you get doesn't it?

jimmyhank

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »

1 - 3.

Denham 1 and Dale 2.

Good point but the novelty wears off the older you get doesn't it?
Absolutely. I should know better. And, if it does tip it down tonight I may well take cover in the main stand if that option is made available.

thegazelle

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »

not my favourite place i can recall one year being stuck in traffic and arriving about 30 minutes into the game being charged for full price for me and two five year old kids and finding it was segregated . walking to the alty end and explaing situation to steward in yellow who wouldnt let me through as i "could be trying to cause trouble" ( with my mob of 5 year olds as back up obviously) he then suggested i walk all the way back to the corner i entered in and requested an orange jacket to guide me up the side of the pitch on realising orange jackets are morre important than yellow jackets i called an orange jacket who was by the pitch and expalined my plan to steam into the alty fans with two five year olds as back up he said oh go ahead mate and yellow jacket was overruled and let me in . i would like to think our excellent stewards would not have been so awkward.
best ever southport game was the FA cup game in 79 ? simply stunning match

markecky

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »

As all Alty fans take the first opportunity they can to spread across the widest area in order to ruin atmosphere and make it look like we have less than we do there, I pray everyone is forced onto that terrace.

Then we will be bouncing in unison as Johnsons overhead kick puts us 5 up and into dreamland...

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »

Then we will be bouncing in unison as Johnsons overhead kick puts us 5 up and into dreamland...

Exactly why its worth me getting into work at 730 so I can leave early for the coach... come on The Alty!

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »

not my favourite place i can recall one year being stuck in traffic and arriving about 30 minutes into the game being charged for full price for me and two five year old kids and finding it was segregated . walking to the alty end and explaing situation to steward in yellow who wouldnt let me through as i "could be trying to cause trouble" ( with my mob of 5 year olds as back up obviously) he then suggested i walk all the way back to the corner i entered in and requested an orange jacket to guide me up the side of the pitch on realising orange jackets are morre important than yellow jackets i called an orange jacket who was by the pitch and expalined my plan to steam into the alty fans with two five year olds as back up he said oh go ahead mate and yellow jacket was overruled and let me in . i would like to think our excellent stewards would not have been so awkward.
best ever southport game was the FA cup game in 79 ? simply stunning match

Thats one of the funniest things i've read on here  :)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 08:47:41 PM »

I think we owe them one for our spineless FA Trophy capitulation the other season. That said only Stuart, Smithy and Dale who played that day will be involved tonight (Danylyk played but is out injured tonight) which goes to show just how much times can change and perhaps shows that we're still gelling a bit as it were.

A big daft 4-1 win a la August 1994 would be great. I think we'll actually go all out attack and take a daft 3 goal lead and it'll be a manic 5-4 win. If you can go tonight go, you'll regret it if you don't.

Southport 1 (McGinn pen 63) Alty 0

Att 1098 (167 Alty)

Slightly schizophrenic predicting Ballers, but ultimately remarkably accurate :D

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 08:52:44 PM »

Actually thinking of past Southport v Alty games there is one which stands out as being more relevant.

I'm hoping it was the 1995-96 season but think it moght've been the horrible 96-97 which I hope isn't an omen.

We hadn't won in our first 3 games, in fact, we'd lost all 3 without scoring I think and were 0-1 down until injury time when a lad called Andy Allan grabbed an equaliser. As we deliriously celebrated our last gasp point Mick '3 goals a season' Carmody clattered somebody in midfield strode forward and unleashes a dipping, swerving half volley right into the top corner from all of 35 yards.

We then won our next 5 games.

I think that's correct but I'm also sure we won 3-0 there and someone like Andy Allan got a couple, maybe that was the following season.

Ballers, I think that Saughall Robin is right that Andy Allen's only goal for Alty was against Morecambe a couple of weeks after this game.I think that the scorer was either Stuart Terry or an own goal......it was a low ball in from the right & it was difficult to see who turned it in.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 09:07:01 PM »

according to the fixtures we played Southport away Sat 14th Dec that season, but i dont remember the score

We won (3-2, I think) and it was Danny McGoona's debut for Alty.

Chris Sharratt played against us if I remember correctly.

As Management Guru adds elsewhere it was 3-1. It was McGoona's debut and he was (as he could be at times) absolutely unplayable. He was unbelievably quick. When he did have control of the ball it was like watching Andrei Kanchelskis - get ball, kick it past opponent, run past opponent, cross ball -and we were well worth our win. Paul Cain came on as substitute and scored the 3rd with a jinking effort at the visiting terrace end much in the manner of Shaun Constable's goal at the same end in the 4-1 win a couple of years earlier.

As an aside, does anyone remember them coming round with a bucket collection so they could 'get a roof put on the away terrace' despite it being the time they were just splashing the cash on their team. I remember at the time thinking they must take us for some sort of mugs.

I also remember getting a burger for £2, someone next to me ordering a cheeseburger and the women got a burger, opened a packet of Tesco value cheese slices (34p for 10), put one on the burger and charged £2.50!!

Said cheeseburger made it's way back into the snack bar without payment.

I am fairly sure that Cain's goal was at the same end that Southport scored at the other night!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »

ooh ooh Danny Magoona ooh ooh Danny Magooonaaaa
ParkINson's red and white army
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport Predictions