PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport Predictions
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Southport Predictions  (Read 11403 times)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Southport Predictions
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »

Actually thinking of past Southport v Alty games there is one which stands out as being more relevant.

I'm hoping it was the 1995-96 season but think it moght've been the horrible 96-97 which I hope isn't an omen.

We hadn't won in our first 3 games, in fact, we'd lost all 3 without scoring I think and were 0-1 down until injury time when a lad called Andy Allan grabbed an equaliser. As we deliriously celebrated our last gasp point Mick '3 goals a season' Carmody clattered somebody in midfield strode forward and unleashes a dipping, swerving half volley right into the top corner from all of 35 yards.

We then won our next 5 games.

I think that's correct but I'm also sure we won 3-0 there and someone like Andy Allan got a couple, maybe that was the following season.

Ballers, I think that Saughall Robin is right that Andy Allen's only goal for Alty was against Morecambe a couple of weeks after this game.I think that the scorer was either Stuart Terry or an own goal......it was a low ball in from the right & it was difficult to see who turned it in.

Ballers, you were almost spot on with your recollections,...in 1995/96 we did win 2-1 with a last minute Carmody goal, it WAS DANNY Mc GOONA's debut and I think he came off the bench and frightened their full back to death. He lived in N Wales and I had to drive him home with Lenny after the match, and having lost 3 and drawn two we won this and the next 4, I remeber someone on the board had a bet on a 20/1 or something like that to win the next 5 matches as well, cant remember who it was.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »

Actually thinking of past Southport v Alty games there is one which stands out as being more relevant.

I'm hoping it was the 1995-96 season but think it moght've been the horrible 96-97 which I hope isn't an omen.

We hadn't won in our first 3 games, in fact, we'd lost all 3 without scoring I think and were 0-1 down until injury time when a lad called Andy Allan grabbed an equaliser. As we deliriously celebrated our last gasp point Mick '3 goals a season' Carmody clattered somebody in midfield strode forward and unleashes a dipping, swerving half volley right into the top corner from all of 35 yards.

We then won our next 5 games.

I think that's correct but I'm also sure we won 3-0 there and someone like Andy Allan got a couple, maybe that was the following season.

Ballers, I think that Saughall Robin is right that Andy Allen's only goal for Alty was against Morecambe a couple of weeks after this game.I think that the scorer was either Stuart Terry or an own goal......it was a low ball in from the right & it was difficult to see who turned it in.

Ballers, you were almost spot on with your recollections,...in 1995/96 we did win 2-1 with a last minute Carmody goal, it WAS DANNY Mc GOONA's debut and I think he came off the bench and frightened their full back to death. He lived in N Wales and I had to drive him home with Lenny after the match, and having lost 3 and drawn two we won this and the next 4, I remeber someone on the board had a bet on a 20/1 or something like that to win the next 5 matches as well, cant remember who it was.

Ballers is correct.

We won 2-1 at Southport early in the 1995/96 season.

Danny McGoona made his Alty debut in a 3-1 victory at Southport in December 1996.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 05:18:01 PM »

Cult. I dont have the records so I'm sure you must be right. Must be getting my games/years wrong, was at both matches!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 05:31:42 PM »

McGoona's debut was simply unforgettable!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 12:28:31 AM »

McGoona's debut was simply unforgettable!

It was, he could catch pigeons that lad but had no brain!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Southport Predictions