PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Get coburn back in net
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Get coburn back in net  (Read 15277 times)

jamestimperleyrobin

Re: Get coburn back in net
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »

Come on lads, Coburn aint the answer.
He is A SHOT STOPPER, that is it.
He does not control his box.
Just look at the vidieo evedence.
Flappers went out in the 20's and 30's.
Sorry boys and girls.
If you thing SC should stay, well so should have GH.
TIME TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

That's the biggest load of bollocks that's been posted on this forum for a long time. Stuart Coburn is one of the best goalkeepers ever to play for this football club and was one of the main reasons we turned things around in 2004 and eventually achieved promotion from Conf North at the first attempt. His saves and organisational skills have also been a big part of the last two (relatively successful) seasons.

I know people are looking for scapegoats left, right and centre at the moment, but to say the things you have about a true Alty legend is just nonsense.

Totally agree Alty 1981!

joe

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 12:12:12 PM »

Maybe giving Coates some support and faith since hes done nothing wrong and kept the scores down! Hes a good keeper and the future of the club!

If you're just looking at the amount of shots he stops then he hasn't done anything wrong but if you look at the bigger picture then there is alot of room for improvement. He is scared to death of crosses and his organisational skills are non existant which is part of the reason he has so many shots to stop! And the future of the club he most certainly is not!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »

Stu is very vocal when he plays... I dont think that can be said for Coates..

A change just to freshen things up (as previously said by me) cant do any harm....

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 12:44:13 PM »

Stuey everyday for me, a class act and will install confidence in the back four. If he was becomming complacement he wont be now !

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »

I've no idea why Stu was dropped in the first place?

markecky

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 02:08:05 PM »

By his own standards Stuart didnt have the best of starts to the season.  We are used to him making very few mistakes.

We made a change to try and freshen things up and we must make a change to try something different again.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »

I love it when people say "He's a good shot stopper', surely that's a reason why they are a goalkeeper in the first place ?.. Its all the other bits that are 'addons' and good extras ?

Stuart Coburn has it all as far as I am concerned, an excellent all round keeper and one that can 'stop those shots' and also organise and command the area, and also has been at the club long enough to know what it means to the club\ fans to be successful.

I haven't seen much of Coates but from what I have read and heard I'd like Stu to be put back in, he'd be a good character to have on the pitch also

I think the goals conceded so far tell the story, and I don't just mean the amount but I mean the way they have gone in also.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:58:26 PM by gazwarrington »

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »

Well if my last post was the 'the biggest load of bollocks posted for a long time, read on.(there is a lot of megger bollocks posted on this site)
Ecky, what I'm saying, is enough is enough.
Stuart is a great servent to the club, but a time has come when things have to change. That is what I'm saying when I mentioned Graham Heathcote.
Alty 1981,Yes Stuart did a fab job in 2004 and for more years, but we are in 2010 now.
Stuart has cost us points this year, sorry to say(Crawley and Darlington)
I dont think in any match report, has Coats cost us points?(got us a point against Kidderminster)
I'm not saying he is the best keaper in the world, but I feel he is the best at the moment at the club.
OK BRING IT ON, I CAN TAKE IT!!

markecky

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »

Its all about opinions and if you put your opinions on a forum then you run the risk of getting them shot down, just like I have done.

I've think personally I have been pretty clear on why I have no confidence in Coates.  He doesnt leave his line at all and just sets himself for the shot every time.  Thats not an opnion its a fact.

As I also said, I am sure Stuart himself will be disapointed with some slips at the start of the season.  He remains a better keeper than Coates in my opinion and should be back in on Saturday.  You think Coates is better.

I suggest arm wrestling on that table just inside the door of the Noel White to decide who is right  :)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »

I can't comment on Coates one iota as I've never seen him play.

However, I feel very strongly, and always will, that Stuart Coburn is a great keeper and far more than just a "shot stopper" who can't command his box or organise the defence. He's got a few good years left in him yet if he can stay fit.

I can't wait to be back for the Gateshead game a week on Saturday and to get behind the team whoever is on the pitch.
Come on Alty!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »

Simple resolution:

I like James Coates, but I like Stuart Coburn. But which is better?

There's only one way to find out......

FFFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

taxi Phil

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »

Stu was dropped after Mansfield when I was almost alone in condemning him over the first two goals. The Stu of a few years ago was an infinitely better keeper than James Coates, but right now I honestly believe there is very little to choose between them. This does not in any way diminish Stu's status as an Alty legend, but nobody goes on forever unfortunately.

Stu carries a couple of ongoing injury problems these days, so even if he gets back into the side we need decent cover for him. We've taken the right line in trying younger keepers. Russell Saunders wasn't the answer, and whilst I think James Coates is technically a better keeper than Russell, I don't see him as the long term answer either.

We have to be looking forward, as well as at today, and trying to recruit a bright young keeper who can learn from Stu - who I hope is at least giving James some tips !

RocketDan

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »

as i said after the Kettering game....

Without wanting to be negative, the lad is a great shot stopper but he is terrible at dealing with crosses and seems to lack control of his area. Playing with a back 3 we continually get overlapped down the flanks, giving them an easy cross. The disappointing thing last night was these crosses weren't drilled or whipped in towards the penalty area but floated in to the 6 yard line. Coates needs to be more decisive and come off his line to catch or punch it. If not we should get coburn back in.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 08:20:23 PM »

OK Mark arm wrestling it is.
You called it, so I will be in the Noel White at one on Sat.
Think we should charge a fiver to watch the contest, as it would bring some good money to the club ;)!!
At the end of the day we should be looking in other areas than the goalkeeping spot.
How many shots did we have on Saturday?
ps, yes I know it's a forum, thats why I posted my comments.

andrewflynn

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »

OK Mark arm wrestling it is.
You called it, so I will be in the Noel White at one on Sat.
Think we should charge a fiver to watch the contest, as it would bring some good money to the club ;)!!
At the end of the day we should be looking in other areas than the goalkeeping spot.
How many shots did we have on Saturday?
ps, yes I know it's a forum, thats why I posted my comments.

A couple, none on target..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Get coburn back in net