PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Get coburn back in net
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Get coburn back in net  (Read 15275 times)

Butty

Re: Get coburn back in net
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2010, 06:02:20 PM »

What I don't understand is what people say about organisational skills. From whenever I have seen it, he sets up his walls for a freekick right, what more organisational skills does he need? He shouldnt hold the centre halves hands and tell them where to go for 90 minutes. Most of what Stu shouts is just second nature to any good player anyway. An example of this is where he shouts "squeeze" (or get out), which is where the defenders push up the pitch. Any defender worth his salt will clear the ball and follow it out.

Without having anything against you Ecky, you said that Stu had a bad start to the season by his standards- what is to say that Coates hasnt just had a bad run?

IMO, both keepers are of a similar quality, however KM appears to be thinking about the future.

62vintage

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »

Coates has done nothing to deserve all this stick, defence begins the moment we lose the ball, the goalie is the last line, and no matter how good Stuart is I think that Coates will be the future.

andrewflynn

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »

He should be dropped not because he is not good enough, but because he is constantly conceding and that is going to seriously knock his confidence. Whether he is conceding through fault of his own or through the team (I personally think the team) it doesn't matter, he wont be the most confident player at the moment so Stu should be brought back in because that is what we need right now.

I would say the same if the roles were reversed and it was Coburn in this current situation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:52:54 PM by TimperleyRobin »

joe

Get Coburn
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2010, 07:47:50 PM »

So other than setting up a wall all a goalkeeper has to do is stop shots? I give up.

RocketDan

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2010, 07:50:50 PM »

Coates has done nothing to deserve all this stick, defence begins the moment we lose the ball, the goalie is the last line, and no matter how good Stuart is I think that Coates will be the future.

On the contrary, confidence comes from the back and spreads forward through the team, but starting from the keeper.

taxi Phil

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2010, 10:10:31 PM »

He should be dropped not because he is not good enough, but because he is constantly conceding and that is going to seriously knock his confidence. Whether he is conceding through fault of his own or through the team (I personally think the team) it doesn't matter, he wont be the most confident player at the moment so Stu should be brought back in because that is what we need right now.

I would say the same if the roles were reversed and it was Coburn in this current situation.

If he's lacking in confidence, dropping him isn't going to help is it ? D'oh ! ! !

andrewflynn

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:56 AM »

I see what you mean, give him time.. let him grow and form links with his defence and confidence will grow.. the only way to do this is to keep him in and dropping him wont help..

For me we do not have the time to sit around and wait for this to happen.. Something needs to be done to try and stop us leaking goals and we should start from the back.

Jezza

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2010, 07:59:33 PM »

I think we're very lucky to have two quality keepers....and it is testament to coates' quality that many fans are split on who should be in nets.

For me I'd stick Stuart back in......he's made a few errors for the first time in a decade....I think they're very similar shot stoppers, Stu commands his area better and coates has better distribution.....I think we need a few clean sheets and are more likely to get those and build confidence with stu......he's also vastly more experienced.

Oh and stuart has a good record saving pens...he may just have got that last one!

And where have all these know it alls suddenly appeared from causing trouble with their inside knowledge?

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2010, 08:17:48 PM »

Oh and stuart has a good record saving pens...he may just have got that last one!

Don't know about the Rushden one, as it was hit with such power. The one at Histon it seemed Coates waited for the ball to be struck before moving, and probably should had kept it out.

As people are saying, Coates is one for the future. Keyword there is future.For the foreseeable future though, I feel more confident with Stu in goal
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Get coburn back in net