News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 We need to attack from the start

Author Topic: We need to attack from the start  (Read 3126 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 27, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »

I think it showed how much we need to attack teams to survive in this league. Different team second half.It was so much better having attacking players on the wings in Thornley and Senior. Do not have to repeat myself about Rod as he proved it when he came on but he has to start games.We were so flat footed in first half. They were a strong team but again we were fitter than them, pushing right until the final whistle.

I just hope we start with more attacking players from the start or I do think we will go down.People said that we are playing better this year passing more etc,but I don't care doesn't get us three points, goals do and I appreciate Joe's work rate but he simply isn't going to score the goals.He holds it up ok, but he has no movement in the box, never makes the darting runs into the box like he should be.Little are O'Neil don't workas a partnership either. Lets give Rod 4 or 5 games up front and get Senior on either wing. We are missing Bushell as well. Munroe andBandy played really well today.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: We need to attack from the start
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 05:49:33 PM »

GH tactics for the start were ok, if we did not blunder they would not have scored.

The only change i would make would be have Rod on from the start.

Would we be better with Warren at left back? Based on today i would say yes!!

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 07:09:35 PM »

Was one of those games where a team putting in an ordinary performance got the win, but then again that's what good sides do I suppose - just enough to win. Scott Bevan had the safest pair of hands I think i've ever seen. We had one spell in the 2nd half where me missed four balls on the run, but on the whole everthing landed squarely between his gloves. It would have needed 90 mins of top class crossing to beat him I feel.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 08:10:57 PM »

I think it showed how much we need to attack teams to survive in this league. Different team second half.It was so much better having attacking players on the wings in Thornley and Senior. Do not have to repeat myself about Rod as he proved it when he came on but he has to start games.We were so flat footed in first half. They were a strong team but again we were fitter than them, pushing right until the final whistle.

I just hope we start with more attacking players from the start or I do think we will go down.People said that we are playing better this year passing more etc,but I don't care doesn't get us three points, goals do and I appreciate Joe's work rate but he simply isn't going to score the goals.He holds it up ok, but he has no movement in the box, never makes the darting runs into the box like he should be.Little are O'Neil don't workas a partnership either. Lets give Rod 4 or 5 games up front and get Senior on either wing. We are missing Bushell as well. Munroe andBandy played really well today.

So where do you want Thornley to play, wing or up front with Little?

Felt sorry for Scott, dropped the bollock for the goal, but I thought was okay. First game at home playing a 'good team' on a roll not the  easyest of debut's, but I think will be an asset for the forthcoming battle.

Aspinall - OPTA index :-

Tackles made 95%

Completed passes 5%

This says it all for me, the number of over ambitious/hit passes is criminal, decent enough defender (far better than last year) but very wastful of the ball.

Gutted about the result but al least we had a go,  played really well (2nd half) and can take positives from the game.

We must get something at Southport.

PS Chris Adams has left Droylescum.

That's it from

Full time and proud of it

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 08:51:18 AM »

Find it hard to believe he only completed 5% of passes

I saw at least two ;D ;D

louise1925

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 09:16:31 AM »

I think Oneedham at the top of the page is absolutely spot on. Rather sadly, I haven't been able to sleep all night thinking about our two defeats v Kiddy and just how we have managed to get nothing from the games. Bad luck often envelopes the relegated and it is beginning to look that way at the moment. HOWEVER, I thought our second half performance and even the last 20 minutes of the first half, was sensational. We made a full time team, in the top half having won 8 on the bounce, look pretty ordinary. Why was that? Could it be that we abandoned our very narrow first half tactics of effectively playing 4 central midfielders and then using two attacking wingers?
Please, please, please GH - THE TEAM THAT FINISHED THE MATCH FOR SOUTHPORT ON SATURDAY.
Stu, Azza, Peyton, Bandy, Munroe, Chalmers, Lawton, Rod, Senior, Thomson, Little subs: Bushell, Owen, O'Neil, Talbot, Acton

Altysmiffy

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »

You are probably right. Any defence would prefer to defend against a narrow attack - less space to cover, less room for the attack to get through - than a team firing in crosses. From my early years I have always found the wingered team a better proposition; if you look at Man U my first recollections were of Gordon Hill & Steve Coppell on the wings, and if you look at Man U alone, they have been successful with wingers through the 90s with Giggs, Ronaldo, Sharpe, Poborski, etc. The tight midfield may be more solid defensively, but, with good centre back pairingsd, the wide midfielders can help out the full backs.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »

louise i like your selection.

Lets hope we go for the jugular
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team