PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favourite Kenny Palin Moments
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Favourite Kenny Palin Moments  (Read 14229 times)

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »

What are your favourite memories of the Alty legend? I remember Graham saying at the fans' forum that he rang him up saying everyone in town thought he should go.

Zigger Zagger Zigga Zagger!
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

markecky

Re: Favourite Kenny Palin Moments
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »

I could write you a book on these!!

I love the man.

When I used to be chairman of SAFE, he used to hijack nearly every meeting in some way.

I was never the most confident speaker at these things and a bit of a reluctant chairman, so I never looked forward to holding the metting.

Kenny would sit right in front of me and just stare at me...then would sigh really really loudly at the most awkward moments.

He once stood up in the middle of me talking and starting doing a full exercise routine in the middle of the dance floor.

Or the time when he went in the toilets and started singing "All things bright and beautful" at the top of his voice.

I defy any world renowned speaker to continue with such a backdrop.

Or his Sunday nightv rendition of "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly" when we had the cabaret nights with Bernard.

When you talk of Alty legends, certainly off the field, he is up their with the greatest.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »

Kenny has a habit of turning up uninvited at weddings, so one day in 2002 when I was in the snack bar queue and heard Kenny shout (from about 20 places back in the queue) "I hear that you're getting married soon" I had to slip into evasive mode while he asked me a stream of questions about where and when it was going to be. It was the longest 30 seconds of my life.
I already had my share of local characters attending with JTH, Rocky Robin and Uncle Globby so didn't have room for another.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

jim fallon

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »

To my mate Daz sat with his girlfriend in the Grapes Pub in Alty.

"Thats not the girl you were with last night."

Should have seen the look on his face. ;D

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 05:12:38 PM »

So many great Kenny stories, love them.

I always get the "when are you getting married" question bless him, he also showed me a photo on his mobile of him and Rod Thornley at some wedding... I don't know if he was invited.

I am still laughing about the last time we had a thread like this and someone (might have been Ecky?) told us about when he misheard the Carcraft of Rochdale ad on the radio on the coach and told everyone there was a car crash in Rochdale...

Legend.

rick

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »

I don't no when this was or how true, my mates dad lived above the market tavern an drank in there every nite
 and kenny used to go in there from time to time,when asked what was up with him that nite, he replied that he had been down watching training gone on the pitch and was told to get the f*** off the pitch by a few players, so he did, but told all the lads in the pub he had the last laugh cos he had everyones car keys in his pocket.

York Alty

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »

the man is a STAR.

for a terrible moment when I saw the thread title I thought'd he'd popped off.

bighairedmike

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »

This is one that involves two alty characters. On the coach coming back from some long lost arse end of civilisation (Northwich I think it was) and Kenny goes:

"Why are we going round in circles?"

And James Black (RIP) goes:

"It's coz we're on a roundabout kenny!"

Always makes me laugh when I think about that. And I remember the "carcraft" one too.  ;D

markecky

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »

Kenny has a habit of turning up uninvited at weddings, so one day in 2002 when I was in the snack bar queue and heard Kenny shout (from about 20 places back in the queue) "I hear that you're getting married soon" I had to slip into evasive mode while he asked me a stream of questions about where and when it was going to be. It was the longest 30 seconds of my life.
I already had my share of local characters attending with JTH, Rocky Robin and Uncle Globby so didn't have room for another.

Indeed he does.  Kenny the Buffet Slayer...

Bought 3,000 teatowels on ebay and brings one to each do to quailfy for a sandwich.

Best ever one of these ever though was when he did it to Rod Thornleys wedding.  The photo of him with his his arm around Rooney is priceless.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »

This is one that involves two alty characters. On the coach coming back from some long lost arse end of civilisation (Northwich I think it was) and Kenny goes:

"Why are we going round in circles?"

And James Black (RIP) goes:

"It's coz we're on a roundabout kenny!"

Always makes me laugh when I think about that. And I remember the "carcraft" one too.  ;D

Remember telling him to put his camera away at James Black (RIP) wake.
@AltyDaz

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »

About 3 seasons ago and there were just 2 or 3 games to go and we were right in the relegation dog fight and I was  stood next to Kenny in the NWS and Coburn comes out of the back to sit with his folks

As he passes Kenny, Coburn asks 'Are we going to stay up then Kenny?'

Kenny in an instant replies 'We will do if you keep the ball out of the net!'

Quality.
Full time and proud of it

Narcissist

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 07:20:32 PM »

I have very fond memories of Kenny's one man cabaret routines on the away coach. It usually included 'there was an old lady who swallowed a fly', a bit of George formby lamp post and his tommy cooper impression, which is so bad it's fittingly good. He also on occasion used to pop his teeth out and get told off by ecky or other. Ecky also used to be able to do this predictable routine. Haha, so so funny!

My all time favourite was on a coach to Worksop or somewhere when he had his report from community college. It said he was good at English but his maths was terrible because he paid too much attention to the girls! Brilliant!

I'd love to think all this still goes on. Legend!!!

markecky

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »

He doesnt come away anymore but he'll never change.

He certainly used to know how to get my back up on the away coaches.

Every match we used to have the same conversation with me and Alan Brotherton...

"Mark..are we lost"

"No Ken..the driver has directions"

"I don't think he knows where he is going.."

"He does Ken..we're fine"

2 minutes silence.....

"Markkk..are we lost?..."

" No Ken..give it a rest now"

Then he would whisper to Alan" I think we're lost"

"I heard that Kenny.."

Every week...superb.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »

GH had his critics, especially with regards to how he got involved with fans, but how he coped with Kenny at times i'll never know. We were losing in a fractious match that had gone totally wrong, might've been Mansfield at home when we had two sent off, might be wrong. Anyway - 'G-G-Graham get a sub on', GH (exasperated) 'I cant Kenny, i havent got any subs left, ive used them all' - "oh (pause).... Well what did you do that for?"

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »

Two tales.

Going back to I'd say late 70's. perhaps early 80's. "Come on Kenny you're quiet today, give us a Zigger Zagger"

" I Chansht, Shad Alls my Steetchsout yesherday"

My favourite though, personal as it is was at Kingstonian.

" Alright Kenny, how's you?"

Kenny  " Who the bloody hell are you?" Laughter all around.

That told me!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team