News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How to attract fans

Author Topic: How to attract fans  (Read 4413 times)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
How to attract fans
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:27:43 AM »

On Boxing Day I took my two boys to Twickenham to watch Harlequins v London Irish. I had been to the same Christmas fixture at the Stoop a few years ago which attracted a then bumper crowd of around 10,000. Harlequins moved this year's fixture to Twickenham and charged £10 for Adults and £5.50 for kids. So a family day's entertainment cost including train fares around £30. The attendance in this magnificent 82,000 capacity stadium was 74,200. The only downside was the journey door to door of 3 hours each way to do less than 35 miles. The match was OK though nowhere near the standard of that in the Southern Hemisphere. My point is that Harlequins got something right and the crowd was made up of mainly families.

RedWhiteRedWhite

Re: How to attract fans
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »

Not quite sure what to make of this...Suggesting we move a fixture away from Moss Lane in the hope of a seven fold attendance increase?

Understand a "family ticket" might prove viable given decent publicity...but nothing else here is transferrable to us.

Kind of like saying Man United would "get something right" if they were to sign Beckham back in January. Undoubtedly selling out the thousands of empty seats they now have...and a few shirts to boot! What are we gonna do...give Peter Band a ring?

bumble

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:37:26 AM »

Is the point about family tickets?

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »

Sale moved their match against Brive to Gala and played in front of three men and a dog.

Butty

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »

Sale are also playing a game in April (I think) against London Irish at the Reebok Stadium- there is a reasonable crowd expected as they have also ran a Sharks for a week competition around the local schools, great publicity stunt

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:10:31 AM »

Rugby works different to football...You go to a final of a Rugby event and there are loads of fans from clubs that have nothing to do with the clubs in the final and they book tickets in advance not knowing who is going to be in the final.

Sale are trying to get fans between themselves and Newcastle, only two 'big' clubs in the north so their catchment area is massive.

Nearly every member of my dads side of the family have worked at Sale (Heywood Road) and I always got the impression that it was more about watching the sport than anyone getting too bothered about the result... Seemed at the final whistle it was drinks, little moan and then forget about it as opposed to footy where results seems to annoy supporters more??

I agree a family ticket at Alty would be good ?, I don;t know if we do one but is their a family season ticket ?

bumble

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:26:05 AM »

IMO sale moving from Hayward road to edgely wasnt needed I used to go quite a lot, had the shirts loved watching them, last game I went to was a year a go simply because it's moved. Its sale sharks not Stockport! And definately not Bolton!

With the rugby - they have the playoff style structure to decide the title winner,  1 vs 4 2 vs 3

They start the season with the London double header at twickenham where 2 games are played and you watch both

The reason the braga game was moved was to ensure it got played? I think - the ruling is it must take place within a set number of days after the original date

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »

Rugby Football is not Association Football............and I believe Harlequins are the Rugby equivalent of Chelsea and are based in our capital city

Next time Southport double their home attendance (without an FA Cup game or by letting in people for nothing) then there is probably something to learn from what they have done
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »

Personally it should be just "Sale" but that's for a different forum :)

Blue and white stripes and playing at Heywood Road, thank god Sale didn't sell out  and rented their ground back to the Sale Sharks so their identity remains the same,and made money out of it :)

anyway, back to football.. although it is Sale Football Club ... arghhhhhh

Back to Altrincham FC....

Due to me living a few miles away and appreciating how hard it is to get back to game due to expenses, how about a season ticket \ few game ticket that's cheaper if you can prove you live outside a certain radius of Altrincham FC ?

I know Lancashire CCC do this, as do most cricket clubs and although I know it would not seem fair for the local fan to pay more (this is the stumbling block I see) it would all be offsetted with the amount of money the 'exiled fan' has to spend travelling and make it more affordable for them ?

When typing this idea I almost deleted it about 5 times, I'm 50/50 on my thoughts on this and I am pretty sure it has enough flaws to not happen but thought bring to the table \ forum ?

Maybe trial it on a well publicised in advance one off game and see if it attracts any exiles back or falls flat on its face and we have lost nothing?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:33:51 PM by gazwarrington »

bumble

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »

I like the idea

Its brilliant at Lancashire - you can buy (u16) all four group games for t20 for £8 instead of 20 - that includes the game against Yorkshire which is a big seller - so instead of paying £5 for just Yorkshire it makes sense for me to pay £3 for the other games - this ensures the grounds packed and they make the extra up in other games food and the fairground

I'm sure it's been mentioned before - it could either be for specific games or an open one so if something comes up

Bolton did this too - £15 for juniors to see bwfc v Stoke Birmingham and united - it would cost (10,10, 12 )32 normally to go all 3

Butty

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »

I like the idea

Its brilliant at Lancashire - you can buy (u16) all four group games for t20 for £8 instead of 20 - that includes the game against Yorkshire which is a big seller - so instead of paying £5 for just Yorkshire it makes sense for me to pay £3 for the other games - this ensures the grounds packed and they make the extra up in other games food and the fairground

I'm sure it's been mentioned before - it could either be for specific games or an open one so if something comes up

Bolton did this too - £15 for juniors to see bwfc v Stoke Birmingham and united - it would cost (10,10, 12 )32 normally to go all 3

Not saying it's a bad idea, but for a club like us, would we end up actually losing out on this? I'm not sure whether or not this would really attract the 'floating' fan, and it could end up with the regulars turning up and paying less, as opposed to attracting more fans to the club

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »

Sale are also playing a game in April (I think) against London Irish at the Reebok Stadium- there is a reasonable crowd expected as they have also ran a Sharks for a week competition around the local schools, great publicity stunt
For this, as you can see in The Messenger, they are offering a deal whereby for £50, you get two match tickets, and a replica shirt, which is quite an incentive. (although probably not a massive saving overall.) But interestingly, they do offer "Family Match Tickets" for home games. £24 for two adults and two bin lids....what would that cost at Moss Lane...a minimum of £26 before you add the kids on at whatever price bracket they fit in to.

For the club to drastically reduce prices for spaces in the ground that will otherwise remain empty is an absolute no brainer in my opinion. From a marketing perspective, it's all about perceived value. In my day job, i'm happy to give out vouchers to spend in store, because i know for a fact, incremental spend and margin will more than cover my initial outlay...rocket science it is not.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »

Are you suggesting we cut admission prices ?.........last time we concluded that 900x£13 is better than 1000x£10
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »

Dont agree with moving games from your Home ground,and as for playing league games in another country,Forget it.
Harold

bumble

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »

They had no choice, Games have to played in a set time after the original date
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How to attract fans