PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Keeper Shouldve gone!
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wrexham Keeper Shouldve gone!  (Read 3855 times)

robins1978

« on: February 02, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »

On main site it says the Wrexham keeper was not given his marching orders for a hadball outside the area as there was 'a phantom whistle' that someone in the crowd (Wrexham fan behind the goal) blew and it put the keeper off. I heard this whistle  a few times in first half usually just as Stu was taking a dead ball kick. My point is how can the keeper not be sent off for handling outside his area  because of a 'phantom whistle'. Weather a whistle is blown or not he shouldnt be handling the ball outside the area. If the ref did not blow the whistle he shouldve gone. This would lead to all sorts of scenarios if something someone did (ie made a noise) in the crowd affected a desision of the ref. Stupid desision not to send him off.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:18:34 PM by robins1978 »

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham Keeper Shouldve gone!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:16:08 PM »

You cannot send a player off for this, if there was a phantom whistle (which there was) then the player cannot be expected to have anticipated that one of the crowd could have blown it, in effect picking the ball up wasn't deliberate and therefore it should not even have been a free kick.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

robins1978

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »

You cannot send a player off for this, if there was a phantom whistle (which there was) then the player cannot be expected to have anticipated that one of the crowd could have blown it, in effect picking the ball up wasn't deliberate and therefore it should not even have been a free kick.
But a free kick WAS given - supposedly for the hand ball so it shouldve he been punished - letter of the law would say a red card. How can he give the free kick and not punish the offender. Whatever you class it as - ungentlemanly conduct / professional foul - I dont know the jargon for this offence - maybe ATS could shed some lilght on that - FREE KICK WAS GIVEN - HE SHUDVE WALKED.

AltyIan

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »

At the end of the day if there is a history of this wrexham officials should pick out the culprit and ban him from games. simple as.

markecky

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:28:54 PM »

He was wrong to give a free kick, it was "outside interference" (wasn't it Chester Ian) so should have been a drop ball.

I think the ref got caught out a bit probably because he hadnt come across this before.

I think he used his common sense and compromised, keeper stays on but we get a free kick.

He'll probably never ref again for getting common sense involved.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:51:05 PM »

There was, in law, an offence of handball which was correctly punished by a free kick. This is a fact in law and has to be dealt with appropriately.

The phantom whistle, I assume was heard by the players and the Referee hence the (correct in my view) decision not to impose any further sanction due to this being the result of 'an outside agent'

I'm sure that Ian will explain the difference between this 'outside agent' and the red beachball in the Liverpool Sunderland fixture

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 12:17:30 AM »

After consultation with a more senior colleague and the Laws of Association Football.

There should not have been a free kick even. Once the Referee was aware of the 'phantom' whistle he should have stopped play and restarted with a drop ball

robins1978

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 12:22:26 AM »

After consultation with a more senior colleague and the Laws of Association Football.

There should not have been a free kick even. Once the Referee was aware of the 'phantom' whistle he should have stopped play and restarted with a drop ball
So basically the ref cocked up and should not have given a free kick - but a drop ball. Also in giving the free kick for a hand ball offence does he have to punish the offender with a caution?

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »

The keeper did nothing wrong. It was Creighton who picked the ball up outside the area, the keeper only touched the ball inside the area.
What sticks in my mind is how good a chance for Damian it was!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iPKl8nbq64
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:35:07 AM by chesteralty »

robins1978

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »

The keeper did nothing wrong. It was Creighton who picked the ball up outside the area, the keeper only touched the ball inside the area.

I was going off what it said on main site. The fact it was a defender and not the goalie is immeterial. As the free kick was given the defender shouldve gone. There's no way reeves was offside as he ran inbetween 2 defenders towards the goal. Shame we didnt make them pay with a better attempt with the free kick. Jammy 2nd goal for them too!

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »

I was going off what it said on main site. The fact it was a defender and not the goalie is immeterial. As the free kick was given the defender shouldve gone. There's no way reeves was offside as he ran inbetween 2 defenders towards the goal. Shame we didnt make them pay with a better attempt with the free kick. Jammy 2nd goal for them too!

I wasn't criticising you!!
Having said that you can't say it's immaterial, bearing in mind the title you gave to the thread :) :)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:28:20 AM »

If any criticism is due it is to the idiot who thinks it is ok to take a whistle to the match and to the people sat near him for not making him shut up or shopping him to the nearest steward.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jezza

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 10:39:41 AM »

A referee with common sense?......I think in instances such as this there should be a time out called and the referee given an opportunity to consult with his colleagues on t'internet...perhaps the 4th official could run onto the pitch with a laptop?

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 12:20:51 PM »

They really should be beating teams like us

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »

Unless I am mistaken, handling the ball outside of the area does not necessarily warrant any sort of card.........red or yellow.

For red hasn't there got to be a clear goal scoring opportunity i.e one where on the balance of probability a goal would have been scored ?...........a yellow would be awarded for (say) unsporting behaviour if the ref thought it was deliberate as opposed to stepping out of the area after (say) claiming a high ball
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team