PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 "Radio Robins".....from the Official Club Site
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: "Radio Robins".....from the Official Club Site  (Read 45969 times)

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
Re: "Radio Robins".....from the Official Club Site
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2011, 07:56:13 PM »

Just out of interest, why did you decide upon shoutcast? Did you try any of the other free options (for example the open source icecast)?

First one I tried to be honest - and it worked :D 

Paul

markecky

« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »

I was surprised that they don't do a paid and free option.

The free option where they put their ads on or a monthly subscription where you can have it ad free (and put your own on)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »

I was surprised that they don't do a paid and free option.

The free option where they put their ads on or a monthly subscription where you can have it ad free (and put your own on)

Discussed at the TASC meeting yesterday. I think Flynny is looking into it.

It's all just a bit of trial and error at the moment and seeing how and where it could go.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2011, 10:15:23 AM »

Just out of interest, why did you decide upon shoutcast? Did you try any of the other free options (for example the open source icecast)?

First one I tried to be honest - and it worked :D  

Paul

Fair enough. I just like the open source alternative whereever possible, free software that you can add to or develop yourself as you get the code and there is an active online community continually working on it and available to help (Bill Gates is Satan....sorry that just slipped out).
The ads issue is to do with the server hosting rather than the shoutcast software. You are using freestreamhosting.org to host the media stream. Options are to host it yourself (which requires a certain spec and a very reliable ISP backbone)  or pay for a media hosting option.

Oh, and thanks for the reply.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »

We've gone with a very simple option(ie. freestreamhosting.org) here because it needs to be something that Brian and his team can use with minimal technical knowledge. I'm sure there are other broadcasting options available which will ultimately suit Radio Robins but what we have works and the service has gone live successfully much quicker than any of us ever thought. What it has shown is there is a decent demand for the commentaries, something I'm sure will be further confirmed with the first away game. I've not done that much really getting this going - just done the initial setup and pressed a few buttons when required - the real hard work (IMHO) is done by the commentary team who have made an excellent start.

Cheers,
Paul

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »

We've gone with a very simple option(ie. freestreamhosting.org) here because it needs to be something that Brian and his team can use with minimal technical knowledge. I'm sure there are other broadcasting options available which will ultimately suit Radio Robins but what we have works and the service has gone live successfully much quicker than any of us ever thought. What it has shown is there is a decent demand for the commentaries, something I'm sure will be further confirmed with the first away game. I've not done that much really getting this going - just done the initial setup and pressed a few buttons when required - the real hard work (IMHO) is done by the commentary team who have made an excellent start.

Cheers,
Paul

Yeah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's certainly a demand and as you say the Darlington game will give more of an indication of peak demand. I very much appreciate all of your efforts and those of the magnificent commentary team.....for an exile like me it is quite literally a lifeline.

Hope you didn't take any of my above waffle as critical, because it certainly wasn't intended that way (just geekily interested in the nuts and bolts)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:41:34 PM by Uncle Globnasty »
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

bighairedmike

« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2011, 01:42:56 PM »

Is this re-running? As I havent heard it yet due to being at work but would love to hear it.  :)

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2011, 02:26:51 PM »

Cheers,
Paul

'minimal technical knowledge' is the term that I would certainly apply to the commentary team, although one could add that the learning curve has a very much on a steep upward incline !

The first away game will be a real tester from a technical viewpoint particularly if there is no wireless network ?

Still plenty of techinical issues to be overcome but don't understate your own excellent input to date.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »

Hope you didn't take any of my above waffle as critical, because it certainly wasn't intended that way (just geekily interested in the nuts and bolts)

Not at all - good to hear about alternative options

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2011, 03:55:31 PM »

Is this re-running? As I havent heard it yet due to being at work but would love to hear it.  :)

I'll set this re-running again this evening

Paul

bighairedmike

« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »

I'll set this re-running again this evening

Paul

You're a good man Paul. Thanks.  :)

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2011, 05:45:53 PM »

The Tamworth match commentary will be back online shortly

Paul
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]