PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Will Connors Get Three Games?
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Will Connors Get Three Games?  (Read 9509 times)

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Will Connors Get Three Games?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »

I think Stevie is just a victim of his own enthusiasm and desire.
I was stood very close to his first tackle and thought it was a genuine attempt to win back a ball he had just lost control of, certainly wasn't a two footed lunge. The Cambridge player didn't seem to suffer any ill effects either. The second one was a classic six-of-one situation, once the Cambridge player had been booked, the ref had to book Connors as well.
All in all, he was very  unlucky. Neither offence was malicious.
Didn't a similar thing happen at Wimbledon?
Given the choice between the way he plays, and some of the rest of the team, there is no contest really

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »

Connors' first booking timed by me at 50 minutes, so definitely second half. As to how many games he gets, effectively he misses two league games anyway as he wouldn't have been allowed to play at Fleetwood so it probably doesn't matter. A thought - if you put the three stooges (sorry, I mean the three subs) from Saturday together could you make a player out of their combined 'talents'? Somehow I doubt it.

By all means. Baynes is good when he actually wants to be. Beesley shows some vague glimpses of quality.

My word, that will look so impressive on Beesley's headstone:

"He showed some vague glimpses of quality."

What a stumer.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »

Connors' first booking timed by me at 50 minutes, so definitely second half. As to how many games he gets, effectively he misses two league games anyway as he wouldn't have been allowed to play at Fleetwood so it probably doesn't matter. A thought - if you put the three stooges (sorry, I mean the three subs) from Saturday together could you make a player out of their combined 'talents'? Somehow I doubt it.

By all means. Baynes is good when he actually wants to be. Beesley shows some vague glimpses of quality.

What a stumer.

The Grim Reaper has spoken  ;) :D

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »

I think Stevie is just a victim of his own enthusiasm and desire. He#s not a victim
I was stood very close to his first tackle and thought it was a genuine attempt to win back a ball he had just lost control of, it was that yes, but...

certainly wasn't a two footed lunge. you must've been unsighted at best, the flaggers collectively winced on the mausoleum. I'd say 6/7 out of 10 conferences refs would've sent him, certainly Ross Joyce would've.

For me a lot of our indiscipline is brainless without any thought of future consequences. It was almost as if Connors was prepared to pick up that booking, it was that that cost him later on.

Ditto Danylyk on Tuesday, yes his second challenge was brain dead but fine in isolation, it was his booking for dissent (for something that had nothing to do with him) in the 1st half that cost him dear. Almost as if he wasn't bothered about a yellow card instead of bearing in mind that anyone can mistime a tackle and that will seal your fate.

Put it this way, if I heard Danylyk, Connors and Smith got booked I wouldn't be eating any hats any time soon ffs.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 05:40:56 PM »

You wouldn't have had a good view on the Mausoleum. It wasn't a two footed lunge.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »

I had a very reasonable view from the Popular Side and he was not in control of his momentum having left the floor with both feet. This inevitably meant that he was endangering the safety of his opponent, a prime component of any Red Card being issued

To expand on Ballers' point (and mine in the match thread) I'd say 7 or 8 of any 10 Referees at Conference Level would have dismissed him. In fact I think most Parks refs would have parked him too

Mr Barratt was quite lenient all day, hence Steve Connors getting two cautions and the Cambridge guy only yellow for the wrestling throw

joe

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »

You wouldn't have had a good view on the Mausoleum. It wasn't a two footed lunge.

Yes it was! I had a perfect view as i was stood on the pop side level with the incident and was amazed he didn't get a straight red!

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »

Fair enough, for both incidents added together he deserved to be sent off, I wasn't arguing against that. I still don't think either was malicious though, and I didn't see both feet in there, but if others did, I apologise. These things happen so quickly.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 06:58:01 PM »

[/quote]

Beesley had a better game than usual when moved to centre midfield on Saturday. I'm not saying he was good, just that I was aware he was actually on the pitch for once.

At one point he moved forward with the ball until that hip operation he had two years ago kicked in again...  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Will Connors Get Three Games?