PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Language
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Language  (Read 15319 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Language
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »

This is a subject which runs and runs and has done for many years

I'm sure that we all have our own views on this and on what is and /or isn't insulting/abusive/offensive or acceptable.

To put it into some form of context, to my certain knowledge, there are more than five people involved at the Club in purely voluntary positions who either have or are closely linked  to people with different disabilities.

Whether offence is intended or not, whether the context in which a term is used relates to any particular condition  or not I think it is reasonable to ask politely that people think before they yell or maybe use an alternative term. We have a wonderfully expressive language with all manner of words than can be used to express an opinion either positively or otherwise

joe

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 07:17:29 PM »

This is a subject which runs and runs and has done for many years

I'm sure that we all have our own views on this and on what is and /or isn't insulting/abusive/offensive or acceptable.

To put it into some form of context, to my certain knowledge, there are more than five people involved at the Club in purely voluntary positions who either have or are closely linked  to people with different disabilities.

Whether offence is intended or not, whether the context in which a term is used relates to any particular condition  or not I think it is reasonable to ask politely that people think before they yell or maybe use an alternative term. We have a wonderfully expressive language with all manner of words than can be used to express an opinion either positively or otherwise

Fair enough

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »

Because you're a sh*t stirring cock.

In other words, you don't know.

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »

As for the Cambridge fans having a rant at Reeves when he was down injured and had to go off - what was said then by your lot and erm "how do you know that"?

I believe he was calling him a big-eared so-and-so! I know because i was stood a little way back of it  ;D

Jacko

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »

If there was any racist comments it wouldn't of come from a regular moss laner that's for sure

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »

In all seriousness i cannot recall a racist remark being shouted out at moss lane (in earshot of me anyway) since about 1993,if someone has shouted out spastic,then as crass as it might be im sure it wont have been intended with any real malice.I have a potty mouth when gripped by the red mist,but maybe we should all try and mind our P's and Q's when it comes to things that people find genuinely unpleasant and upsetting,and that is a fair enough request.As for racism,its not acceptable & doesnt happen here

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »

In all seriousness i cannot recall a racist remark being shouted out at moss lane (in earshot of me anyway) since about 1993,if someone has shouted out spastic,then as crass as it might be im sure it wont have been intended with any real malice.I have a potty mouth when gripped by the red mist,but maybe we should all try and mind our P's and Q's when it comes to things that people find genuinely unpleasant and upsetting,and that is a fair enough request.As for racism,its not acceptable & doesnt happen here

I did not attend the game but feel fully justified in claiming the moral high ground and pronouncing that it was all down to a Scotsman posing as a German banana throwing tourist as they have form for that kind of thing. Oh and although I've never met the man, anything that Vessey says comes right out of  'Presdent Gadaffi's Big Book of Silly Talk' and should be treated accordingly - if there's a bog handy.

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »

Good job you don't know me... you'd think a hell of a lot worse of me!  ;D :o ;D

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »

I admit that I am probably one of the worst at swearing at players and officials.... but I do not shout racist remarks or abuse the handicapped etc........

Bath Alty

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the "We're F%$Ģing Alty" chant - what's the point?  What are we trying to say?

Jenga

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »

So can i clarify something here please.

What is this thread about specifically and what is the particular beef that someone has. Perhaps a someone could right what was said by which set of fans, to whom it was said and why they are disgruntled by it.

Because right now I have no clue what people are trying to infer.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »

As for racism,its not acceptable & doesnt happen here

Speaking of which, what was the official outcome of James Smith's hearing last Friday relating to that incident at Kidderminster?

Was he found guilty of the alleged racism or exonerated of that particular charge?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »

So can i clarify something here please.

What is this thread about specifically and what is the particular beef that someone has. Perhaps a someone could right what was said by which set of fans, to whom it was said and why they are disgruntled by it.

Because right now I have no clue what people are trying to infer.

I'm speculating here but I suspect that the issue here is a general one relating to references to people with different abilities and the inappropriate usage of slang type terms which have been used to refer to these disabilities. Such terms are considered to be generally unpleasant to say the least but, as I said earlier, given that we do have volunteers at the Club with personal experience of such disability, I can understand why it seems particularly 'offensive'

I suspect that no reference was made by either set of fans based on either race or sexual orientation  - at least I hope not

bighairedmike

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »

OK, so next time I'm at a game I'll make sure I call the ref a "w*nker" non-stop, but not call him a mong. Deal?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 11:37:35 PM »

I suspect that this post encapsulates the whole point

No disrespect intended Mr Aber but I would have credited you with more intelligence and insight.

Also you are one of the folk who I thought capable of a more inventive insult
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Language