News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Great Escape

Author Topic: The Great Escape  (Read 4061 times)

fuertes

The Great Escape
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:31:29 PM »

So we're all absolutely gutted and rightly so. My eyes were actually watering earlier. But I've just looked at the table and fixtures...all is not lost.

Basically, we need to overhaul two of Southport, Forest Green and Tamworth. A big, big ask considering we're 4 points from safety. However, if we pull off the unexpected against Grimsby (and we've pulled out surprising away wins already - Mansfield anyone?), we'll be looking at the results picked up by the other three. "Who are they playing?" I hear you ask. The answer is Wimbledon, Darlington and Wrexham respectively...

To my mind, that would leave us with some sort of chance on the final day. Who are we playing? The second worst side in the division on our own patch. Southport will have a tricky away tie at Kettering, whilst Forest Green and Tamworth play each other...they can't both win.

I know, I know, there's a hint of clutching at straws about it, but my initial assumption at 4.50pm was "not quite mathematically, but we're down". Actually studying the table suggests otherwise. We can, somehow, still escape. We must keep fighting.

chris888

Re: The Great Escape
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:33:53 PM »

fair point if this was 1 or 2 games ago, however, with our goal difference, add another point to what we are behind. i have tried to remain optimistic but it is hard now, despite this, you will find me at Grimsby on the coach and home against Eastbourne.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »

More chance of lord lucan returning and riding shergar

Steve-o

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:53:39 PM »

Dream on

robins1978

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »

So we're all absolutely gutted and rightly so. My eyes were actually watering earlier. But I've just looked at the table and fixtures...all is not lost.

Basically, we need to overhaul two of Southport, Forest Green and Tamworth. A big, big ask considering we're 4 points from safety. However, if we pull off the unexpected against Grimsby (and we've pulled out surprising away wins already - Mansfield anyone?), we'll be looking at the results picked up by the other three. "Who are they playing?" I hear you ask. The answer is Wimbledon, Darlington and Wrexham respectively...

To my mind, that would leave us with some sort of chance on the final day. Who are we playing? The second worst side in the division on our own patch. Southport will have a tricky away tie at Kettering, whilst Forest Green and Tamworth play each other...they can't both win.

I know, I know, there's a hint of clutching at straws about it, but my initial assumption at 4.50pm was "not quite mathematically, but we're down". Actually studying the table suggests otherwise. We can, somehow, still escape. We must keep fighting.
I can tell from this post you have been an Alty fan for a long time as its what I was saying too when I got home and saw the table after todays games. Despite some giving up already its not quite over....just yet. Great post Harpenden - Thanks.

bumble

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »

For once the other teams results went our fkn way!

Butty

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »

For once the other teams results went our fkn way!

Unfortunately theres no point in other teams results going our way when our results aren't going our way

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 01:40:32 AM »

As is the Alty way, I really do think we will be odd and beat Grimsby, with FGR, Southport and Tamworth losing. This leaving us with hope on the last day, which being Alty we will well and truely f*&% up when Southport lose and there is a winner in the Tamworth vs FGR game
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

fuertes

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »

It's still on lads!!  ;D

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »

BELIEVE - For the 1st time ever the final day is going to treat us well in the Conference Premier!!!!

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »

Lord Lucan just rode past my house on a f***king horse!!!!????

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »

As is the Alty way, I really do think we will be odd and beat Grimsby, with FGR, Southport and Tamworth losing. This leaving us with hope on the last day, which being Alty we will well and truely f*&% up when Southport lose and there is a winner in the Tamworth vs FGR game

Ah Nasha, you're really rather good at this, hope you're wrong about the f*ck up part...!

ALTYGAL

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »

Lord Lucan just rode past my house on a f***king horse!!!!????

SHERGAR ;D

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »

hope he wasn't naked jezza
Harold

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »

We can only do our bit now and hope that the other games go our way.

It's going to be a hell of a rollercoaster on Saturday.
Come on Alty!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Great Escape