News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 “One bloke who promised to support us got pissed and fell asleep."

Author Topic: “One bloke who promised to support us got pissed and fell asleep."  (Read 3487 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

If you've ever wondered what happened at the great Football League re-election travesty on 6th June 1980, when Alty missed out on getting into the Fourth Division (at the expense of moribund Rochdale), by the narrowest of margins, then I hope that an article which is due to appear in the issue of the Robins Review for the Eastbourne Borough match on Saturday will provide some enlightenment on this farcical affair.

Luton Town & Grimsby Town: never forget and never forgive.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bath Alty

Shouldn't we be equally resentful of those many clubs who deliberately voted against us as well as these muppets who failed to do the right thing through sheer incompetence?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Shouldn't we be equally resentful of those many clubs who deliberately voted against us as well as these muppets who failed to do the right thing through sheer incompetence?

That's a fair point.

However, I don't think that the details of how each individual club voted were ever released into the public domain though.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

That's a fair point.

However, I don't think that the details of how each individual club voted were ever released into the public domain though.

I think it is the case that we never found out who actually voted for who and if we asked you would not know if they were lying or not. A bit like Jack Warner who promised and said he had voted for England to host the 2018 world Cup when he had 3 votes and England only got 2 votes in total. Martin Edwards never divulged which way he voted though he had supossedly promised us Man U vote.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I have more anger at the whole ridiculous charade of the old boys network that was at work to keep perrenial strugglers like Rochdale and Torquay up each year.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

York Alty

I have more anger at the whole ridiculous charade of the old boys network that was at work to keep perrenial strugglers like Rochdale and Torquay up each year.

yep.

This is what happens when organisations / people are not put under scrutinity.  The voting system was blatantly unfair and frankly propped up plenty of clubs who deserved to go down and denied the opportunity for better run, better managerd clubs to develop.

Jacko

yep.

This is what happens when organisations / people are not put under scrutinity.  The voting system was blatantly unfair and frankly propped up plenty of clubs who deserved to go down and denied the opportunity for better run, better managerd clubs to develop.
sounds familiar :@

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

yep.

This is what happens when organisations / people are not put under scrutinity.  The voting system was blatantly unfair and frankly propped up plenty of clubs who deserved to go down and denied the opportunity for better run, better managerd clubs to develop.
sounds familiar :@

Very familiar - FIFA and the ICC are exactly like that today.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 “One bloke who promised to support us got pissed and fell asleep."