PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Future For Altrincham FC - A Blueprint
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Future For Altrincham FC - A Blueprint  (Read 3826 times)

fuertes

« on: May 02, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »

I thought I'd throw my ideas out there to see what people think. Rather than a "who stays and who goes" type thread, I thought I'd see what people think as the overall strategy for this club in the coming years.

First off, I want Ken and Bimmo to stay. They nearly did the business for us after a terrible start and deserve a proper chance to show they can do it.

Basically, whilst I fully understand comments flying around in some other threads about not throwing the towel in next season, as well as trying to stay positive and talk about a playoff challenge, I'd much rather we put absolutely no pressure on the management to make the playoffs next season. What I really want is for Ken (and Bimmo) to have a good scout around in an attempt to change the way we play in order to improve our long-term prospects. If this means a season of inconsistency and some strange results, then that's fine. It's a small price to pay for long-term success.

I thought one very telling point in the season was when we released Jimmy McCarthy. Ken openly admitted he liked the look of him, but due to the looming threat of relegation, needed someone who could score immediately. So, he had to release McCarthy rather than try to nurture and develop his undoubted ability.

What I'd like next season is for us to bring in some talented footballers who can knock the ball about comfortably. Perhaps people like McCarthy, but also other lads from the Wirral, Wales, Cambridgeshire of wherever our chaps have contacts. It is noticeable to me that teams like Wimbledon and Newport came up playing a good brand of football. Subsequently, they've fared well in the BSBP, including when Wimbledon were a part-time side (one of our common excuses). Teams like us and Southport who have tried to survive on the back of hoofing have been found wanting. Now, I don't blame Graham, Ken or anyone else for this. After all, it's no good trying to overhaul the playing style when you're just trying to keep your heads above water. But the comfort of knowing we should be in no danger of relegation from the Conference North offers the opportunity to make a proper change to our style for the better.

Those players that continue to hoof despite the manager's pleas can be discarded over time, replaced by lads who like to play the game on the deck. I genuinely think this would give us the best possible chance of moving forward, even if it meant a tough 2011/12 season while we adjust.

Any thoughts? I think about half of our current squad could play a part in this transformation. The other half may have to be shipped out, but given the way this season has gone, will anyone be bothered? Oh, and we must try to shame Michael Twiss into leaving the club. He has shown absolutely no desire or pride since arriving. We could pay two young, neat and tidy Scouse midfielders with a fiery streak for the money we give him.

Thought?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The Future For Altrincham FC - A Blueprint
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:36:34 PM »

I would love to see a change in our playing style and I'd be overjoyed to hear the news that Twiss has retired.

However, if the severity of the rumoured budget reduction at the club for next season is correct, the prospect of us having the services of both McKenna and Bimson seems extremely remote.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »

I would love to see a change in our playing style and I'd be overjoyed to hear the news that Twiss has retired.

I wish the same as you Barry, but I can't see that happening.

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »

A good post from Harpenden. I genuinely want us to take out time over rebuilding, and reckon if we go up after three seasons in the peak of condition to compete viably in BSP, that'll do fine for me.

I'll be happy to experiment next season, and as long as we stay above the danger zone while we build a proper squad with commitment and honesty stamped right through them, then I'll be happy.

Onwards and upwards !

Jacko

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:04:01 PM »

Good post and as much as I'd love us to try this, its what most relegated clubs fans come out with and then moan when youngsters pull out of a challenge in a big game, but I think km will see it differently and want a shot at the play offs asap, otherwise I don't think we'll see him again

I think we need to fill in the gaps left of our squad with decent quality non league campaigners and that doesn't mean old but players we know will fight oh and if its possible can we have something called a winger and/or one player with the attribute of pace...please

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:31 PM »

Good post and as much as I'd love us to try this, its what most relegated clubs fans come out with and then moan when youngsters pull out of a challenge in a big game, but I think km will see it differently and want a shot at the play offs asap, otherwise I don't think we'll see him again

I think we need to fill in the gaps left of our squad with decent quality non league campaigners and that doesn't mean old but players we know will fight oh and if its possible can we have something called a winger and/or one player with the attribute of pace...please
Like a fully fit Chris Denham you mean ?

Jacko

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »

Like a fully fit Chris Denham you mean ?
exactly, there's another player that would have kept us up

RocketDan

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »

i'd basically build the whole team around steve connors.

tonyb

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:33:50 PM »

Didnt i mention building the team around Steve Connors? only to be slated,   Personally believe you should build a team around a quality goalkeeper,  and build from the back,   personal  choice.   

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44:04 PM »

We have a quality goalkeeper thanks

You've posted some random crap Tony but, just to warn you, should you dispute that Stuart is a quality keeper then any minor shred of credibility you may once have had, albeit a long time ago, will disappear, not only in our eyes but also, I believe in the eyes of fans of many of our rivals of many moons (not the new kids on the block from the freeport)

Jenga

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:44:21 AM »

Didnt i mention building the team around Steve Connors? only to be slated,   Personally believe you should build a team around a quality goalkeeper,  and build from the back,   personal  choice.   

So which is it, Steve Connors or Goalkeeper?

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »

So which is it, Steve Connors or Goalkeeper?
OK, Stu is undeniably a legend, but he can't go on for ever, and again this season injury has curtailed the number of appearances he's made. We really do need a young goalkeeper with some decent experience - a big ask, but a necessity. If Steve Connors were to throw in his lot with us, he'd be a prime asset - but it's asking a lot for him to step down from full time pro to BSN if any other richer clubs fancy him.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »

IF he would come I'd like to see Russel Saunders back at the club, who won player of the season for Hyde
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Jacko

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:42:21 PM »

thats another decision to make for ken, can we convince a keeper of saunders quality to come with stu still here? i doubt it, i think we have to hope coburn stays fit and have another dootson type keeper on the bench unfortunatly

bumble

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »

Only saw him in the warm up at Grimsby but may be worth looking at the youth team as a back up?

Even if we game him a few preseason games
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team