PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Future
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Future  (Read 4887 times)

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
The Future
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:50:40 PM »

To take a line from one of Hughesy's post the planning for next season should start now. The management situation should be sorted out asap and then a full assessment of the playing squad and recruitment put into place ready to start pre-season with a bang. But also the close season sees an opportunity to completely rebrand the club. Since the start of last seson we have lost a talismanic Chairman, a manager that love him or hate him was a big influence at the club and a main club sponsor in Go Goodwins. if Kenny does go then we start with a new chairman in Grahame Rowley, a new management team and an almost new playing squad as well as a new club sponsor. The PR machine should be put into overdrive that the club is going to have a real go at returning back to the Blue Square Premier at the first attempt and that it wants the community to be a part of it. The club has criticised the town and the local community in the past for not supporting its football club, although when the town has shown an interest and turned out in numbers often the playing squad havent turned it on as was evident on Saturday. However I believe that the club should be doing more for the local community and show the town what the club can do for it rather than the other way round. Recently the board appealed for the supporters to help financially in any way they could and provided a long list of ways that we could help and by all accounts they were disappointed with the response they got. This may be in part because they were asking the same people to dig deep in their pockets that have been asked countless times over the last 16 years.

I was at a conference several weeks ago where Andy Walsh from FC United was one of the keynote speakers and he was detailing how FC United operates and how the potential new ground will be financed. He explained that they have a community programme that works with a wide variety of community groups and has a turnover of £500,000 per annum. The new ground will be financed parly by the sale of community shares through a community share scheme - in 5 months they raised £1.3 million and 25% of investors were not MUFC or FC United fans, and the majority had no real interest in football. They also received £20,000 from an ethical investor who had an interest in the community but no interest in the football club.

Now I am not saying that we can compete with FC United, but I asked Andy Walsh whether he felt that FC United were an extreme example but his point was that no matter how big or small you were that you will get back any investment that you put into the community.

Community involvement isnt difficult and it isnt costly what it does take is hardwork, manpower and the patience to see it through. This isnt a criticism at the board and the small group of volunteers just my viewpoints on where we should be looking to head.  

Any thoughts.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:53:15 PM by im not really here »

george

Re: The Future
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »

The one big thing we are lacking is manpower. However, when you see the response to our yearly racenight, my hopes are lifted. If we can only get those people down to help on machdays & all things involving fundraising.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »

Maybe its a question of how volunteers are co-ordinated and what incentives there are for people. For example many people may have spare time in the week to help out at the club  but dont want to volunteer on a matchday because it effects their routine, A pint before the match, enjoy the match and a pint after. None football fans may be more suitable as volunteers on a matchday who may see it is their community contribution. But it would need to be well co-ordinated.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:41:56 PM »

However, when you see the response to our yearly racenight, my hopes are lifted.

It was a great night and thoroughly enjoyed by all!
Come on Alty!

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »

None football fans may be more suitable as volunteers on a matchday who may see it is their community contribution. But it would need to be well co-ordinated.

If you had non football fans you wouldn't have any one on match days unless you paid them, On Saturday there was 30 club stewards on duty all fans off Altrincham fc didn't cost the club a penny
i also know most volunteers at the club all support Altrincham fc
@AltyDaz

bumble

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »

I know the club may say "if you offer, im sure we can find you ajob"

But perhaps if the club made a list of all jobs ie.

2 x turnstile opperators
3 x stewards
2 x leafleters in altrincham saturday mornings

ect... and then people could see whats doing then do what they feel they can do to help...

i'm a person whod be willing to help with time rather than finacial, just dont know where/what I can do

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »

Maybe it would help if we could get a list together of people who are willing to help when they can, including up-to-date contact details and what sort of availability each person has (eg. evenings, weekends, weekdays etc.), so that the club can call on people when things need doing.

In the current climate when people are stretched financially we shouldn't underestimate the value of giving time, even if it's only an hour or two here and there.

Come on Alty!

bumble

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:49:51 PM »

Maybe it would help if we could get a list together of people who are willing to help when they can, including up-to-date contact details and what sort of availability each person has (eg. evenings, weekends, weekdays etc.), so that the club can call on people when things need doing.

In the current climate when people are stretched financially we shouldn't underestimate the value of giving time, even if it's only an hour or two here and there

very good idea. a database of people is a good idea

HOWEVER

does the club then become reliant on the same people?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »

In the current climate when people are stretched financially we shouldn't underestimate the value of giving time, even if it's only an hour or two here and there

HOWEVER

The point is that (in theory at least) you have a large pool of volunteers to try and spread the load as much as possible. It's got to be worth giving it a go, I'll try and raise it at the next TASC meeting.
Come on Alty!

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »

Why would you have to pay a volunteer because it's a matchday? The point was that the club has asked for volunteers within it's own supporters and got little response so why not open it up to non fans who have time on their hands and want to be a volunteer

bumble

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »

HOWEVER

The point is that (in theory at least) you have a large pool of volunteers to try and spread the load as much as possible. It's got to be worth giving it a go, I'll try and raise it at the next TASC meeting.
I like the idea - maybe getting people to list hobbies or skills so if there was a damaged pipe ect.. The club could get a SE person to spare an hour ect..

Maybe a "do 2 hours volunteering" and get a free pint? Or free entry for a mate when you pay entry

Maybe looking at sixth forms for creative students to boost to the clubs image - unis getting competitive so if you had a student who wanted to do a PR course who did marketing ect.. They could do some marketing to add to their portfolio
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:02:20 AM by Jack Jolly »

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 12:02:04 AM »

This is a great idea I am running a similar scheme with mcc at the moment

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »

Why would you have to pay a volunteer because it's a matchday? The point was that the club has asked for volunteers within it's own supporters and got little response so why not open it up to non fans who have time on their hands and want to be a volunteer

Why would non fans of Altrincham fc want to get involved for free??
After several years of recruiting stewards unless they support the club they want paying...
@AltyDaz

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »

It's pretty naive to think non football fans would want to help out. In all honesty it wouldn't be helping the community would it, it'd just be helping a business.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Jezza

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »

I'd like to see Andy Walsh spend 6 months going round the schools as I know representatives of Altrincham FC have for the last 3 years, giving coaching lessons, free tickets, invites to be the representative school on a home match etc etc etc .....and then explain why there has not been a notable increase in average home attendance.

It is a very slow and arduous process which Altrincham Fc maybe complacently didn't bother for many years....however I do believe we are starting to see the benefits with many more shirts on view with new young faces wearing them...and then we go and get relegated.

The community process will carry on but will not reap the benefits FC United recieve not least because they are enjoying much more success than us currently and while they snowball ahead we keep our heads above water admirably.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Future