PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Winning the conference north
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Winning the conference north  (Read 10396 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 03, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »

Lets have it right,last time we were in this league we were running on a shoestring budget whilst paying money back,this time we will go in with a decent budget,even if it is much reduced from this years,halifax, southport,and two from telford nuneaton and boston are the only sides that should have a chance of sustained title challenge aside from ourselves,we need to start with confidence, talk up our chances and not play the martyrs at this level.

Steve-o

Re: Winning the conference north
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »

Couldn't agree more, let's have it! Come on Alty

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:05:29 PM »

The only problem with statements like this, as I alluded to in another thread, is that it doesn't half increase the pressure on the management team who may well be trying to focus on a long-term plan.

I don't want to think that there will be increasing pressure on Kenny if we're 10th at Christmas. I can see it now, comments about "going nowhere", "defeatist", etc.

I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth but we do have to be realisitic. It'll be a tough division next year and we'll be in transition. We must keep this in mind.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »

OK we have been relegated but I am sure the majority of forumites would agree that if the team had applied themselves better in a number of games this season we would have escaped the drop with a reasonable degree of safety.

I for one do not agree that we have now become no hopers in the BSN  and I think that Positive thoughts are the order of the day.

PS Pete dont change your unser name too often I have enough trouble working out who is who on here at the best of times  ;)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »

I really really wouldn't get too excited about anything until we know who the manager is and what the budget is.

It'sd true that we have underperformed on occasion this season and that fewer of those underperformances may have seen us safe but we will not have the same players next season (I would venture to suggest) nor the same budget.

Don't wanna appear a misery guts but it's a bit early yet for predictions of when we might return to BSBP

York Alty

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »

there are reasons to be optimistic, that's how I feel about the BSN to be honest. No, i don't expect to bounce straight back up again but we will be back at BSP level.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:33:51 PM »

I really really wouldn't get too excited about anything until we know who the manager is and what the budget is.

It'sd true that we have underperformed on occasion this season and that fewer of those underperformances may have seen us safe but we will not have the same players next season (I would venture to suggest) nor the same budget.

Don't wanna appear a misery guts but it's a bit early yet for predictions of when we might return to BSBP

Exactly.
You beat me to it, Phil...!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »

I can see the headlines already.... We really should be beating teams like this
ParkINson's red and white army

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »

Lets have it right,last time we were in this league we were running on a shoestring budget whilst paying money back,this time we will go in with a decent budget,even if it is much reduced from this years,halifax, southport,and two from telford nuneaton and boston are the only sides that should have a chance of sustained title challenge aside from ourselves,we need to start with confidence, talk up our chances and not play the martyrs at this level.

Totally agree.

All we had to do was apply ourselves and FGR and we would have stayed up.

Long term or short term plan it MUST be get promoted, otherwise there is no point in going to watch the games, manage the team or bring in players.

If someone comes out and says we are playing for mid table then they need to ask themselves questions.

I am not saying it will be easy or we will get promoted, but we have to try.

fuertes

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 06:32:48 PM »

Totally agree.

Long term or short term plan it MUST be get promoted, otherwise there is no point in going to watch the games, manage the team or bring in players.

If someone comes out and says we are playing for mid table then they need to ask themselves questions.

But it's not as simple as that, is it? Managers have been known to start breaking up title-winning sides, even when they might have one more league in them. It's because they can see blooding some new talent earlier will be more beneficial in the long-term. You could say to Kenny "do whatever it takes to give us a chance of promotion next season" and he'd act accordingly. You could also say "we think you're the man for the forseeable future - we want you, over the next three years, to build a really good side capable of achieving promotion by playing attractive football". If we go for the latter, that hardly means we needn't turn up in the meantime, even though it makes immediate promotion less probable.

Obviously all this is just opinion, but if we keep the bulk of this squad and hoof our way to fifth, before losing the playoffs, we really would have been better off telling Ken to take time to get the squad right for the long-term.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »

Totally agree.

But it's not as simple as that, is it? Managers have been known to start breaking up title-winning sides, even when they might have one more league in them. It's because they can see blooding some new talent earlier will be more beneficial in the long-term. You could say to Kenny "do whatever it takes to give us a chance of promotion next season" and he'd act accordingly. You could also say "we think you're the man for the forseeable future - we want you, over the next three years, to build a really good side capable of achieving promotion by playing attractive football". If we go for the latter, that hardly means we needn't turn up in the meantime, even though it makes immediate promotion less probable.

Obviously all this is just opinion, but if we keep the bulk of this squad and hoof our way to fifth, before losing the playoffs, we really would have been better off telling Ken to take time to get the squad right for the long-term.

Great post.

The best thing about last Saturday was that for half an hour the team were good to watch, it was actually fun to be at the match!
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »

In a twisted kind of way I'm looking forward to next season.
No more 5-4-1 formations or deliberately staying in our own half for 70 minutes. There should be no teams that we will be afraid of, should make for more exciting , watchable football. If Nicky and Chris Denham stay, there would be some serious attacking going on, something I have nearly forgotten after this season. Hopefully this might even result in us being successful and returning to the BSBP a reinvigorated, fearless side.
Bring it on!!

York Alty

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »

In a twisted kind of way I'm looking forward to next season.
No more 5-4-1 formations or deliberately staying in our own half for 70 minutes. There should be no teams that we will be afraid of, should make for more exciting , watchable football. If Nicky and Chris Denham stay, there would be some serious attacking going on, something I have nearly forgotten after this season. Hopefully this might even result in us being successful and returning to the BSBP a reinvigorated, fearless side.
Bring it on!!

very much in agreement with this.  How long could Alty FC keep pulling miracles out of the air for? 

taxi Phil

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »

It is unarguably preferable to spend as much as three seasons building a squad that can compete seriously at BSP level, than to go sh*t or bust for an immediate promotion, followed by another immediate relegation.

There are some decent teams up against us next season - the three play off losers, Southport, and AFC Halifax are obvious. Droylsden and Stalybridge will give it a go as well. And I'd remind you all that Blyth Spartans put us out of the Trophy, and weren't even in the running for promotion.

It is NOT going to be a cakewalk. It's a season of transition and retrenchment. And a run in either the FA Cup or the Trophy will never be more important, because the money it would bring in would enable us to strengthen for the more important second season.

Patience, ladies and gentlemen, is a virtue - and we'd better keep reminding ourselves of that fact as the season progresses.

bumble

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 08:43:02 PM »

Will " be patient" replace believe?
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team