PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Winning the conference north
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Winning the conference north  (Read 10320 times)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Winning the conference north
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 12:44:28 AM »

I am with Pete on this one, albeit I can see everyone's point as well which all have merits. There is nothing wrong with being over-optimistic, as long as this becomes a realisation if things start to go against the plan.

The target we should be aiming for is to achieve a play-off place at the first attempt, however we must also realise it is also time to consolidate after the recent struggles and build a team. If we fail this season, then so be it, but let's be positive from the off.  Let's not be negative if we are mid table at Christmas either......look at the run FCUM put together

As others have said already, I want to enjoy coming to Moss Lane and watching football. Let's try and re-build some of the interest that has inevitably been lost by watching a losing home side each week.

Keep the faith
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:46:18 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

SammyH8

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 01:00:50 AM »

If we keep are best players, Clee, Smithy, Densmore then we should piss this tin pot league, even Robbie Lawton will look good in this league thats how average it is.

We can make a realistic judgement of what we'll do when we see our squad.

fuertes

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »

If we keep are best players, Clee, Smithy, Densmore then we should piss this tin pot league, even Robbie Lawton will look good in this league thats how average it is.

We can make a realistic judgement of what we'll do when we see our squad.

Yeh, the way he pissed all over the Blyth midfield demonstrates that....oh wait, hang on a sec...

Can only try to reiterate the point that neither I, nor the others who've made similar points, are being negative. Nobody is saying we're too small to compete or we should content ourselves with regional football. We're just making the point that this is a tricky league to get out of and that after a big struggle in the Conference, this might be a chance to take stock and improve the way we do things for the long-term.

I fully expect us to make it back to the Conference. I just don't think we should be making silly statements about going all out for the title.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 08:56:15 AM »

I understand the need for patience, but can our finances take 300-500 at home ? Get out and get promoted (easy to say I know), a winning team will bring the crowds back and atract players, lets be positive and not end up being a BSN team for decades. Up the Robins.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »

Mid table would probably see us getting 500 play off position 800 plus I reckon

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »

I would like to see under 16s season tickets made available for £35 for a period of time,see if we can shift a few hundered of them,with a big song and dance about it in the press,it will keep them returning once theyve got the ticket,and more will be recouped through the snack bars etc they are the future,and such a scheme could see an extra couple of hundered on the gate next season

bumble

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 10:17:18 AM »

I would like to see under 16s season tickets made available for £35 for a period of time,see if we can shift a few hundered of them,with a big song and dance about it in the press,it will keep them returning once theyve got the ticket,and more will be recouped through the snack bars etc they are the future,and such a scheme could see an extra couple of hundered on the gate next season

How about £40 but they get a scarf... Or some sort of season ticket/shirt deal?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »

That's a fantastic idea.

PS: I don't think we're ever going to get back to the prices when I had my first junior stand season ticket (2 guineas) which included a full programme of Manchester League games for the reserves! (sorry about the nostalgia kicking in ... it's a delayed reaction to the trauma of relegation)  ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »

Much as I love a touch of optimism I'm really concerned that, if people go into next season thinking that we will get promoted with minimal inconvenience, and we don't quite make it, partly because of financial considerations, then there will be some very disenchanted people on here.

Not looking at your quote in particular Phil but taking it more as a general viewpoint. Every Alty fan knows that you can't just walk the BSN and even the games against lower sides will be battles. But for God's sake, even at only 60% of this seasons budget we should be competing for the play offs, most of the league are also rans.

We must give the people of the town a reason to come. It's alright being martyrs in this league, hell it's tough, but if we go half hearted into the BSN saying we can't compete with Guiseley etc and the budgets cut then why on earth should anyone want to some and watch us. Attendances with some but not overly much away help stayed above 1000 in the worst season in living memory, 1600 people turned up to watch a shot for nothing on the last day. Why would any of them come back to watch a club that gives off a defeatist attitude? If we went down to the evo-stik would we be saying it would be a struggle  to come back up because of falling gates and we'd be competing with fcum, northwich, chester and chorley?

What is wrong with saying we're aiming for promotion or at least the play offs but acknowledging that it won't be a cake walk? Some people on here saying it might bring pressure? Pressure? So wahat, are we that scared of getting a bit of criticism or having people taking pot shots at us. I'm not. We need to show some balls now people. We've criticised the team for having no bottle so we the fans and the board should lead by example. Some people might be happy to fade away into mid table obscurity and have an easy life but I'm not. No chance.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »

Much as I love a touch of optimism I'm really concerned that, if people go into next season thinking that we will get promoted with minimal inconvenience, and we don't quite make it, partly because of financial considerations, then there will be some very disenchanted people on here.

Not looking at your quote in particular Phil but taking it more as a general viewpoint. Every Alty fan knows that you can't just walk the BSN and even the games against lower sides will be battles. But for God's sake, even at only 60% of this seasons budget we should be competing for the play offs, most of the league are also rans.

We must give the people of the town a reason to come. It's alright being martyrs in this league, hell it's tough, but if we go half hearted into the BSN saying we can't compete with Guiseley etc and the budgets cut then why on earth should anyone want to some and watch us. Attendances with some but not overly much away help stayed above 1000 in the worst season in living memory, 1600 people turned up to watch a shot for nothing on the last day. Why would any of them come back to watch a club that gives off a defeatist attitude? If we went down to the evo-stik would we be saying it would be a struggle  to come back up because of falling gates and we'd be competing with fcum, northwich, chester and chorley?

What is wrong with saying we're aiming for promotion or at least the play offs but acknowledging that it won't be a cake walk? Some people on here saying it might bring pressure? Pressure? So wahat, are we that scared of getting a bit of criticism or having people taking pot shots at us. I'm not. We need to show some balls now people. We've criticised the team for having no bottle so we the fans and the board should lead by example. Some people might be happy to fade away into mid table obscurity and have an easy life but I'm not. No chance.

Good lad Ballers ... Thats the sort of stuff I want to read.....

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2011, 04:37:41 PM »

At last some common sense, well said Ballers ;D

Beez

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »

Spot on Ballers. Couldn't have put it better myself!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2011, 05:51:05 PM »

As for attractive football - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, this is a results business and, as such, I'd take a team constantly grinding out boring 1-0 wins, over a flamboyant passing side drawing 4-4. Again, this is why Arsenal aren't winning the Premier League but Manchester United and Chelsea are.

As Histon used to? I didn't hear anyone clammering for us to play that way then. Horses for courses.....but personally that particular donkey is not for me. Success at any price? It's all about opinions though and I'm certainly not saying you are wrong.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:55:28 PM by Uncle Globnasty »
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Jenga

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »

Playing budget will be approx 50% of this seasons, believe it or not I heard this from a reliable source within the club hehehehe. But seriously I did.

Even so we should be aiming for a competing for the title or at least play off places.

If we try and dont make it then so be it, but we have to try.

Bring players through is a fail as they go to better things or dont develop anyway.

Ballers gets it right in his post.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Winning the conference north