News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Young Players ?

Author Topic: Young Players ?  (Read 5290 times)

scousr alty

Young Players ?
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »

About 3 months ago i posted something about a very talented young striker i had seen,many of you laughed at the post but this striker Astley Mullholland is now hot property and is a free agent!!!!

Dougals Dad

Re: Young Players ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:45:55 PM »

Aye! A former Alty youth who, according to one of the posts on here, is rumoured to be going to Crewe Alex.

Duffy87

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:02:34 PM »

Personally think thats where maybe a few of next years squad comes from, the league he plays in has a few hidden talents and if the right ones are found then they could really challenge at this level

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »

About 3 months ago i posted something about a very talented young striker i had seen,many of you laughed at the post but this striker Astley Mullholland is now hot property and is a free agent!!!!
Morning Astley
Bernard Taylors barmy army

fuertes

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:47:04 AM »

Morning Astley

:D

andrewflynn

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »

If he's rumoured to be good enough for League Two why was he never given a chance with us? He's around the same generation of Youth Teamers as Pat McFadden etc? Can't remember Mullholand even being on the bench for us when he was here.

scousr alty

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »

There are 3 more very  talented players at Flixton,and i know for a fact Alty were made aware of one of the players around December time?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »

If he's rumoured to be good enough for League Two why was he never given a chance with us? He's around the same generation of Youth Teamers as Pat McFadden etc? Can't remember Mullholand even being on the bench for us when he was here.

As we have discussed previously there is nowhere for the Youth Teamers to go when they get too old for Youth football.

Not everyone matures as a player at the same rate so it may well be that Astley was not as 'outstanding' then as he has turned out to be.

If we'd had somewhere for them to go, or maybe if the Youth Teamers had been appreciated a bit more then we could conceivably have had some half decent players coming through, some of whom may have stayed and some of whom, you never know, we could gave perhaps got a few bob for.

It wasn't to be though for a number of reasons (although I do believe that the Financial Reason oft quoted was a convenient diversion from a certain degree of intransigence and could have been overcome)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 11:01:07 PM »

Many young lads from both the youth team and the reserves have been tried out, but some moved on for regular football because they would not sit on a coach
Top of my head names include Heffernan, Hendley and Deegan. George Melling did not want to travel from Preston and we stuck with with Pat Mc and Kieran for a few seasons before their release.
Mullholland played several times for the reserves and stood out on occasions, but the opposition was not even Unibond standard (eg Osset Albion reserves), let alone BSP / BSN standard. Laurence Ball ended up playing (I think) for Dover.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:04:53 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

taxi Phil

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:31:44 AM »

Kieron Lugsden was another who wasn't quite good enough for a regular spot. He'll always hold a place in my heart for his equaliser at Forest Green though ! He's now knocking in them in regularly for Buxton in the Evo-Stik Premier.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 08:10:16 AM »

Nathan Comley-Excel
Bernard Taylors barmy army

thegazelle

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »

brian le boutillier

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 12:27:42 PM »

Wasn't James McCarthy at Crewe last summer?

I'm sure Astley has had a great season and all credit to him. However, he needs to prove himself at a higher level before people start saying "I told you so".

Good luck to him.
Come on Alty!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Young Players ?