PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Your first Alty away game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Your first Alty away game  (Read 17349 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Your first Alty away game
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »

First away match was away Ellesmere Port Town in August 1972.  It was a midweek match, we got lost on the way arrived late and saw Alty battle to a 2-2 draw.  There were a number of future Alty stalwarts playing for Ellesmere Port that night - Mickey Brooke, Gerry Casey to name but two.

My first Saturday away game came 5 days later at Fleetwood Town, a 1-1 draw.

I didn't actually see Alty lose away from Moss Lane until our 3-2 defeat at Edgely Park to Macc Town in the CSC semi final later that year

Narcissist

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »

Macc away, must have been around 90-91. It was 0-0 or 1-1 cant really remember much other than thinking that macc was a really weird place and seemed lost in time.

20 years on I can only say that a seed was planted that day and a horrible acidic weed of hatred grew from said seed.

bighairedmike

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 10:41:41 AM »

Guiseley away - can't remember the year but we'd already gained promotion and the players were all a little 'worse for wear' so to speak. About 12 years ago?

We got beat 2-0 but still went up? I remember that game, I was about 7 and a half. Think it was 1999, I'm sure Cult will prove me wrong though...  :)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »

Guiseley away - can't remember the year but we'd already gained promotion and the players were all a little 'worse for wear' so to speak. About 12 years ago?

We got beat 2-0 but still went up? I remember that game, I was about 7 and a half. Think it was 1999, I'm sure Cult will prove me wrong though...  :)

That would have been May 1999, we'd secured promotion by beating Emley 1-0 on the Thursday Night, after which everyone duly got absolutely legless, the game at Guiseley was on the Saturday and we took about 300 over. Other than we lost 2-0 I remember nothing about it. :D

My first away was, like so many others, Macc about Christmas 1988/89. I think we lost 1-0, it rained and they had Alan Zelam in goal, a man I soon grew to hate.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »

Assuming Leatherhead in 1978 doesn't count as an away game, then the first away game I remember is the first of the two FA Cup games at Blackpool - Nov 1984 I assume. I was in the home end with my grandad for some logistical reason and we almost got lynched at the end of the game when he started waving his walking stick in the air.
Younger readers may not understand this, but we used to win FA Cup games, even away from home.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

daisy

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »

Irlam Town away, pre-season friendly (I presume), 2nd August 1985.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »

Runcorn in the FA Trophy semi final second leg in 78.  I remember no-one could believe that Runcorn charged the then extortionate price of £1 to sit in the main stand (a metal hut really). A 1-0 win courtesy of Mal Bailey's header took us to Wembley :). I seem to remember my dad driving the wrong way on the Runcorn Expressway after the game and us ending up in somewhere obscure like Widnes

thegazelle

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 01:54:04 PM »

Fleetwood  away  pre 1969  although technically it was a home game as we lived in thornton . Cant think of another away trip until the trophy defeat at witton in 71

AT

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »

I have the Match ball from that game.

scott tompson

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »

Mine was play off final. At the time i had just started liking football and was really pleased but didn't really know what was going on.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »

Ellesmere Port in mid 60s! .. probably 66.

My big sister took me.. she used to have to entertain her little brother quite a bit in those days!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 05:34:42 PM »

The 'Lee Poland' FA Cup win at Lancaster - great occassion. The next was the awful FA Cup loss at Lancaster!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 05:49:52 PM »

That would have been May 1999, we'd secured promotion by beating Emley 1-0 on the Thursday Night, after which everyone duly got absolutely legless, the game at Guiseley was on the Saturday and we took about 300 over. Other than we lost 2-0 I remember nothing about it. :D

My first away was, like so many others, Macc about Christmas 1988/89. I think we lost 1-0, it rained and they had Alan Zelam in goal, a man I soon grew to hate.
Idle working mens club
Bernard Taylors barmy army

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »

Vics away in the mid 60's during the Jackie Swindells era. We came back from 1-0 down at half time to tank them 4-1.

rick

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 07:36:13 PM »

chester away in the facup, paladino was in net 94/95 ?? i think. then as an adult woking away first season back in the premier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Your first Alty away game