PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Vauxhall motors match thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Vauxhall motors match thread  (Read 55537 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Vauxhall motors match thread
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2011, 11:57:06 PM »

On the evidence of the four league matches I've seen to date, we look nothing more than a middle-of-the-table side, I'm afraid.

Five points out of a possible 12 against three distinctly ordinary sides and one very poor one does not augur well.

The defence looks alarmingly ponderous and always liable to concede a goal.

I agree with the previous postings regarding the puzzling substitution of the effective Lynch and can only conclude that he must have been injured.

Vauxhall Motors fully deserved their point, as they created far better chances than we did.
Their No. 9, McGivern, was head and shoulders above our two forwards.

Early doors, admittedly, but I confess to being worried.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2011, 11:57:57 PM »

Should feel like a mugging but a draw was a fair result.

Summerskill looks okay at creating, he crossed the ball for the Twiss miss athe end, but does not look strong enough to play CM in this league.

I agree that the Lynch subbing gave them a foothold in the match.

Clee looked leggy from the off,  but Lees did okay.

Hyde's going to be a big test esp. for the defence.
Full time and proud of it

markecky

« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »

I just a bit concerned we are getting above our station a little.

We have no divine right to beat Vauxhall, we don't normally get a point there.

We're going through a settling down period after a relegation with a new manager and some new players.  It's going to take a bit of time clearly, there are lessons to be learnt and we have to learn them fast.

However we're not sat with no points and no hope.

Onwards to Hyde.

taxi Phil

« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2011, 12:21:21 AM »

We've conceded an average of 1.5 penalties per game on the road this season. In my opinion they've ALL been soft awards, but we're leaving ourselves open to it happening.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2011, 12:46:32 AM »

Apologies folks for the intermittent service on Radio Robins tonight.We can't lay any blame with the technology on this occasion.....I'm afraid it was down to me & on reflection the root cause of the issue was the lack of any electricity supply in the Press area at Rivacre Park........& I should have checked that.

The lack of power meant that we started the laptop as late as possible & the early transmission issues were due to the fact that the microphone wasn't properly plugged in.We got through to half time, but there was no way the battery was going to last for the second half & therefore I started charging it up in the secretary's office, during the interval.I was still there when our second goal went in seconds after the restart.....then returned to the Press area, but in rushing to reset the system, I input an incorrect digit & whilst it appeared to us we were broadcasting.....we weren't......not on Radio Robins anyway!

By the time we sorted it all out, it was fairly clear that we wouldn't have enough power to get through the game & the power disappeared with about ten minutes to go.

I'd had a bad night on Radio Robins, missed the second goal & was a bit glum......but heavily consoled by the fact that we were 2-0 up & Vauxhall's first half excellence was not matched by their second half performance......then 'big trouble at mill' & just a point to show for our efforts.

In terms of Radio Robins.....if I had asked about the power supply, I would have ensured that my laptop was fully charged & made arrangements for a standby to be available.If I'd done that, then I think we would have had an uninterrupted commentary as the other mistakes were caused by rushing unnecessarily.

So apologies again & I will serve my fully deserved two match commentary ban. :o
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:48:19 AM by Brian Flynn »

markecky

« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2011, 08:22:04 AM »

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about it Brian.

It's hardly unreasonable to believe that a club may have some sort of press area, however basic, that contained a plug.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:46:11 AM by markecky »

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:44 AM »

We need to learn FAST how to close games out. Its no good getting a decent lead and then sitting back thinking job done.

Keep going for the 90 mins and press on.

I'm so frustrated this morning its untrue

I have never said we will piss the league etc but in my view and having been there, we should have beaten both Harrogate and Vauxhall with a bit to spare

markecky

« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2011, 08:33:14 AM »

We need to learn FAST how to close games out. Its no good getting a decent lead and then sitting back thinking job done.

Keep going for the 90 mins and press on.

I'm so frustrated this morning its untrue

I have never said we will piss the league etc but in my view and having been there, we should have beaten both Harrogate and Vauxhall with a bit to spare

Did we sit back or did they come on to us though?

They were the home team looking to get something from the game.

It's sheer arrogance to say we should have just closed the game down.  We're not that good and Vauxhall are not that poor to simply allow that to happen.

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:15 AM »

A disappointing result, mostly due to the circumstances, a last minute pen was never going to go down well was it?

They were actually quite threatening up front for spells of the second half, and Stu had a few good saves to make.

Disappointment, but not panic stations. Bring on Hyde...

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »

Its not arrogance to expect a team with a 2 - 0 lead and ten minutes left to do the simple things right and see out what should have been a victory Mark 

Admittedly its only my opinion but when Lynch went off we seemed to lose control of the midfield which they obviously exploited. I am not saying we have a divine right to win games in this league but if we are going to give away 2-0 leads with 10 mins left then we will be in the same position as we ended up last season.

They had plenty of possession but I thought we coped reasonably well with it.   (until minute 80)

jimmyhank

« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »

Can't complain with a draw overall. Just hard to swallow given that we were 2 up so late into the game. Great to hear the singing from our fans. Let's just hope we can iron out the wrinkles quickly and start climbing the table.

LymmRobin

« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »

Football is a simple game.  At the end of 90 minutes, the team that has scored the greater number of goals is declared the winner.  Last night, it seemed obvious to me that Reeves was exhausted at half time.  The VM defence also seemed vulnerable to a turn of speed.  There were moments when even Twiss appeared pacey against them.  So why didn't the manager send on Mulholland for Reeves early in the second half?  Sinnott did send him to warm up but when VM scored their first, Mulholland was stood down.  IMO, this demonstrated a lack of ambition and merely encouraged VM to come on to us more.  Our capitulation seemed inevitable. What's the point of having a really pacey, hungry striker on the bench and not playing him?   

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »

Football is a simple game.  At the end of 90 minutes, the team that has scored the greater number of goals is declared the winner.  Last night, it seemed obvious to me that Reeves was exhausted at half time.  The VM defence also seemed vulnerable to a turn of speed.  There were moments when even Twiss appeared pacey against them.  So why didn't the manager send on Mulholland for Reeves early in the second half?  Sinnott did send him to warm up but when VM scored their first, Mulholland was stood down.  IMO, this demonstrated a lack of ambition and merely encouraged VM to come on to us more.  Our capitulation seemed inevitable. What's the point of having a really pacey, hungry striker on the bench and not playing him?   

Pacy - Yes
Hungry - Quite likely
Enormously inexperienced - definitely

If I were a Manager (many will say thank God I'm not), faced with the situation we appear to have been faced with last night (Close to end of game, just conceded and coming under pressure) I would forego the chance that my quick young striker may give me an out ball by dint of his pace alone. Instead I would choose not to further disturb the team on the pitch and to keep on the players who have experience in the hope that said experience would allow us to hold out for a win.

I was discussing how Lynch seems to just go about his business without being flashy or 'pulling up any trees' in a sort of Eddie Hussin type way only yesterday. It seems that our view of his importance has been reinforced by last nights eventual outcome

whopper

« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »

phil when we were 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go and are forwards were blowing out of there arses and also missing sitters i'd like for u to explain why it wouldnt of been to our advantage to play counter attack football and bring mullholland on to chase everything?

oh and one more thing if your not going to give astley a bloody chance with 10 minutes to go and 2-0 up what was the point in signing him, ridiculous

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:38:29 PM by whopper »

fuertes

« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »

phil when we were 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go and are forwards were blowing out of there arses and also missing sitters i'd like for u to explain why it wouldnt of been to our advantage to play counter attack football and bring mullholland on to chase everything?

oh and one more thing if your not going to give astley a bloody chance with 10 minutes to go and 2-0 up what was the point in signing him, ridiculous

You do realise the season lasts well in to 2012, don't you?

Frightening.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Vauxhall motors match thread