PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Was I dreaming?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Was I dreaming?  (Read 15240 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Was I dreaming?
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »

I know that I'm getting on a bit and the memory isn't what it was.

However, I'm seeming to remember that when we appointed the current management people were happy(ish) on the whole and were being quite unusually reasonable with regard to their expectations.

Before a ball had been kicked pre season the concensus seemed to be that this would probably be a two year project - We had been out of this level of football for some time, the Club had spent the past few years fighting relegation and had around it a pessimistic air (on the field) and most importantly we had a new management team, new players and consequently would be having to find a way to combine old and new players into what may have been a different system for many of them.

Then we have the pre seasons and, on the whole things went not too badly, we performed okay against a Man City side operating at about 40 - 50% of capacity, beat a poor Tranmere side, struggled for half a game against Trafford then battered them for 45 minutes. Were dissected by Stockport and played a fairly typical Barrow team (World beaters one week then worse than a pub team the next)

People's expectations looked up!

We are now seven games into the season with a squad of sixteen plus three youth teamers and the Assistant Manager and yet already the knives are out.

This is a hard league - it has changed significantly from the one we escaped from via the play offs. Can we not just step back a bit, put this superiority complex (pub teams, tinpot league etc) out of our minds and do the following

1) Be realistic in our expectations, particularly given squad size, budget etc

2) Give the Club (players, management, staff etc) time to resolve the issues. If we can see them then I'm bloody sure they can and I'm also bloody sure that they are doing everything in their power to resolve them

3) Our fans over the years have in general given magnificent support even when things have been less than ideal. Can we please carry on doing so?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Was I dreaming?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:13:14 AM »

Gloucester had 3 players fatter than me, there's being reasonable and realistic, but there is also a limit as to what is acceptable for a club of our standing.49 league victories out of 200 and no significant drop on home support tells me people are realistic and understanding. People should though be able to vent their spleen on here after a match if they so desire, without being critised for it.that's what fans forum are for, and after spending money that could have been better used elsewhere to go to the south west of England to watch a northern league match, I and the 70 others in attendance are going to be slightly cross at the outcome. You imagine the response of any other set of conference fans that got relegated the way we did and then went on to have won one game in the league below by September....,,

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:43:44 AM »

I think the problem has been in the manner of the defeats.
After Harrogate I was feeling very optimistic, we bossed the game and were unlucky to lose. However that pattern has been repeated on two or maybe three occasions since then. This indicates to me that there is now something in the players minds that seems to make us freeze , despite outplaying the majority of the teams we have faced. I am willing to give Lee as much time as it takes, but this mental block we seem to have is surely the most pressing issue.

whopper

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:59:08 AM »

However, I'm seeming to remember that when we appointed the current management people were happy(ish) on the whole and were being quite unusually reasonable with regard to their expectations.

Before a ball had been kicked pre season the concensus seemed to be that this would probably be a two year project - We had been out of this level of football for some time, the Club had spent the past few years fighting relegation and had around it a pessimistic air (on the field) and most importantly we had a new management team, new players and consequently would be having to find a way to combine old and new players into what may have been a different system for many of them.

Then we have the pre seasons and, on the whole things went not too badly, we performed okay against a Man City side operating at about 40 - 50% of capacity, beat a poor Tranmere side, struggled for half a game against Trafford then battered them for 45 minutes. Were dissected by Stockport and played a fairly typical Barrow team (World beaters one week then worse than a pub team the next)

We are now seven games into the season with a squad of sixteen plus three youth teamers and the Assistant Manager and yet already the knives are out.

This is a hard league - it has changed significantly from the one we escaped from via the play offs. Can we not just step back a bit, put this superiority complex (pub teams, tinpot league etc) out of our minds and do the following

2) Give the Club (players, management, staff etc) time to resolve the issues. If we can see them then I'm bloody sure they can and I'm also bloody sure that they are doing everything in their power to resolve them

3) Our fans over the years have in general given magnificent support even when things have been less than ideal. Can we please carry on doing so?
yet again you are trying to tell people how they should feel, if someone thinks the league is tinpot then they will say so, if someone thinks we have played badly they should say so, what a crap forum this would be if everyone didnt respond to anything, you can't and won't ever stop people expressing there opinions, yet again keep trying

Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »

In fairness, all ATS is doing is expressing an opinion - aren't you saying that is what the forum is for?

daleyjock

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »

OMG what boring post. lets not talk about anything at all shall we. everythings hunkydoory!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:27:51 PM by daleyjock »

whopper

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:26:43 PM »

In fairness, all ATS is doing is expressing an opinion - aren't you saying that is what the forum is for?
its his opinion that other people should have his opinion which is to not say anything, what a boring world it would be....

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »

It's my opinion that we should beat Worcester on Saturday and then build our confidence up sufficiently to go on a really good run. Despite some players apparently under-performing I do believe confidence is a big issue as well.

I do, however, tend to agree with the school of thought that it will take a couple of years before we get to where we want to be.
Come on Alty!

daleyjock

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 12:47:57 PM »

when will the squad be any bigger? when will we have a better chance with conference standard players in the squad? surely if we stay in this league next year we will lose are best players? this is our chance imo

Narcissist

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »

Im gonna invite the usual debate here and say that if certain other forumites had posted this everyone would be in agreement. I pretty much agree with it regardles of who posted it.

Basic message is: I dont think as fans we are all being realistic. Agreed.

Ive said from the start that top 5 would be a great achievement this season. Top 10 is probably least id expect, certainly not a disaster. At the end of the day theres not much difference betweeon finishing 6th and 16th in this league and I think we need to stay up forst and then see if we can push for play-offs, winning the league whilst not out of realms of reality is a bit far fetched.

I dont like seeing us draw and get beat by sh*t teams, but its true we're in this league on merit, like every other club. We should take it week by week, and based on the last week we have been gaaaash!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »

Agreed.  Let's put it this way. Who on here was genuinely opposed to Sinnott's appointment? Who moaned when jones was signed? Dissenting voices over pre season? Not a lot.

I'm not happy with how things have started, but I'm not just thinking about now. It's perfectly natural to moan after a poor result. But we have to stay optimistic and think long term. Sinnott needs to be left to get on with it. He is no worse a manager now than he was last month.

Also, I want us promoted, I want us to win every match possible. But we are not too good or big for this league and for as long as a small section of fans stick their noses up at it and call it tinpot or a hellhole then I suspect we will be staying longer than we'd like. 

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 04:40:28 PM »

Agreed.  Let's put it this way. Who on here was genuinely opposed to Sinnott's appointment? Who moaned when jones was signed? Dissenting voices over pre season? Not a lot.

I'm not happy with how things have started, but I'm not just thinking about now. It's perfectly natural to moan after a poor result. But we have to stay optimistic and think long term. Sinnott needs to be left to get on with it. He is no worse a manager now than he was last month.

Also, I want us promoted, I want us to win every match possible. But we are not too good or big for this league and for as long as a small section of fans stick their noses up at it and call it tinpot or a hellhole then I suspect we will be staying longer than we'd like. 

I concur with the sentiment that we should avoid acting like Billy Big Bollocks. However, the attitude of fans at matches and on this forum will have pretty much no impact on whether we get promoted or not.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Narcissist

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

I concur with the sentiment that we should avoid acting like Billy Big Bollocks. However, the attitude of fans at matches and on this forum will have pretty much no impact on whether we get promoted or not.

I will never forget Andy Reid coming up to the Alty fans at Colwyn Bay many years ago in the Trophy and said 'Lets just get the win and get out of here, what a dump.'

Needless to say we didnt win and had to go to a little needed replay. One might argue that our sentiments do travel into the dressing rooms from time to time.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 04:52:05 PM »

I will never forget Andy Reid coming up to the Alty fans at Colwyn Bay many years ago in the Trophy and said 'Lets just get the win and get out of here, what a dump.'

Needless to say we didnt win and had to go to a little needed replay. One might argue that our sentiments do travel into the dressing rooms from time to time.

Possibly, although players and managers do have minds of their own.

They're perfectly capable of thinking a team/ground/league is sh*t without encouragement from supporters.

I think that, on occasion, we can overestimate our importance in terms of what we think and what our attitudes are. If the players and management have any degree of professionalism about them they should give a moments thought to what is written on this forum.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »

I remember that as well! Back in those pre-Unibond days it was simply inconceivable that we would ever end up playing league matches at Colwyn Bay. However, I look at that same situation now and, as much as I don't want to be in this league, I know we deserve to be here. If and when we do get promoted again it will also be because we deserve it.
Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Was I dreaming?