PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lawton leaves
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Lawton leaves  (Read 20552 times)

fuertes

Re: Lawton leaves
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »

Many thanks Robbie. All the best for the rest of your playing career and perhaps we'll see you on the management team at Moss Lane some time in the future.

roytonmike

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »

While I am sorry to see someone who has served the club so well depart, I think the time is right. Robbie Lawton's passion, honesty and commitment cannot be questioned - but on the evidence of his last appearance, ten days ago at Worcester, his limitations as a player are all too apparent. I wish him well for the future and am grateful for what he has brought to the club.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:43:33 PM by roytonmike »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2011, 12:47:46 PM »

Very sorry indeed to see Robbie Lawton leave. As others have said, he wasn't Cesc Fabregas - but he didn't pretend to be.

When he was in a team with more 'class' (however you want to define that) a couple of years ago his shortcomings in skill were not as important as his total commitment to the cause because other teammates were able to cover his deficiencies with strengths of their own.

What he CAN do, he has always done to the best of his ability - if only some other members of the current squad were able to say the same about themselves!

I like to think that I'm not just being sentimental when I say that there would always be some place at the club for him in my eyes and although the manager is to be congratulated for 'being his own man' and 'telling it like it is', I would have had a lot more time for him if he would have offered Robbie a job as covering squad player coupled with a someone to coach the playing staff how to care about the club they play for, respect the club and supporters, and most crucially, show some decent-sized balls! This latter part of the job is something that needs to be addressed PRONTO.

PS: As for the rubbish about us now freeing up funds for new blood ... words fail me! I'd be surprised indeed if Robbie's pay was as much as we're paying any of the new signings made in the summer.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugo

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »

Thanks Robbie for all the effort you have put in over the years, as fans we can't ask for more than that. I fully understand your reasons for going and hope you can have a few more good seasons elsewhere.

Narcissist

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 01:35:34 PM »

Is it me or did we just let the club captain walk out of the door when are heads are down?

Good luck Robbie!

markecky

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »

Very sorry indeed to see Robbie Lawton leave. As others have said, he wasn't Cesc Fabregas - but he didn't pretend to be.

When he was in a team with more 'class' (however you want to define that) a couple of years ago his shortcomings in skill were not as important as his total commitment to the cause because other teammates were able to cover his deficiencies with strengths of their own.

What he CAN do, he has always done to the best of his ability - if only some other members of the current squad were able to say the same about themselves!

I like to think that I'm not just being sentimental when I say that there would always be some place at the club for him in my eyes and although the manager is to be congratulated for 'being his own man' and 'telling it like it is', I would have had a lot more time for him if he would have offered Robbie a job as covering squad player coupled with a someone to coach the playing staff how to care about the club they play for, respect the club and supporters, and most crucially, show some decent-sized balls! This latter part of the job is something that needs to be addressed PRONTO.

PS: As for the rubbish about us now freeing up funds for new blood ... words fail me! I'd be surprised indeed if Robbie's pay was as much as we're paying any of the new signings made in the summer.

To be fair to the manager, Robbies captains log says that Lee Sinnot wanted him to continue to be a part of the squad. He didnt sack him.

It was Robbie that didn't want that and that was his choice and fair play to him for wanting to play.

When changes need to be made on a fixed budget then people have to go, and that starts with people who can go and thats the non contract players.  Robbie may not be on huge money but l having been here five years I'd expect him to have a had a few pay rises in that time although maybe a cut this season when we went down.  I don't really see whats rubbish about that?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:43:23 PM by markecky »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »

To be fair to the manager, Robbies captains log says that Lee Sinnot wanted him to continue to be a part of the squad. He didnt sack him.

It was Robbie that didn't want that and that was his choice and fair play to him for wanting to play.

When changes need to be made on a fixed budget then people have to go, and that starts with people who can go and thats the non contract players.  Robbie may not be on huge money but l having been here five years I'd expect him to have a had a few pay rises in that time although maybe a cut this season when we went down.  I don't really see whats rubbish about that?

What I meant is that I hardly think the amount of funds freed up by his departure is likely to have made a significant difference to whether or not we would be able to sign replacements (i.e. plural). Others on here have said '1 stroke 2' replacements. My opinion is that someone who would be significantly better than him would clearly cost us a lot more in wages than he was on.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »

Any funds freed up helps.it's always difficult when big personalities leave.But robbie quite rightly wants to play football and the manager cannot guarantee him first team football here.The best part of the whole scenario is the quote that the manager believes the answer to our current problems lie outside the club, thank f**k for that, let's hope four or five more can find themselves new clubs and we can sign a defence befitting our aspirations. A centre back and a decent defensive/central midfielder are urgent requirements hopefully before sunday

Butty

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »

Best of luck for the rest of your career Robbie

Personally I think Sinnot has made the wrong choice in leaving him out of the team- it's no coincidence that there is no leader or pride on the pitch when Robbie isn't around- a genuine man who gave 100% every week for the club

Eatmygoal

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »

You're right, not the most glamorous style, but I thought you were great to watch, and as far as I'm concerned this is Alty's loss.

All the best Robbie.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »

Best of luck for the rest of your career Robbie

Personally I think Sinnot has made the wrong choice in leaving him out of the team- it's no coincidence that there is no leader or pride on the pitch when Robbie isn't around- a genuine man who gave 100% every week for the club

Erm....6-1 away win at Colwyn Bay; 6-1 home win over Boston United...?!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »

Fantastic Captain's Log, fantastic attitude and a decent bloke to boot. Who knows when he'll be back at Moss Lane or in what capacity, but I'm damn sure he will be made to feel very welcome.

All the very best for whatever lies ahead.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2011, 04:59:59 PM »

Fantastic Captain's Log, fantastic attitude and a decent bloke to boot. Who knows when he'll be back at Moss Lane or in what capacity, but I'm damn sure he will be made to feel very welcome.

All the very best for whatever lies ahead.

Couldn't have thought of a better comment

SECONDED!

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »

I am very sad to see Robbie go. He has been an excellent club captain, a great motivator, great ambassador and a lovely fella who has been a big part of the Alty family for the last 5 years or more. I would be very happy if he came back one day in some capacity.

Best wishes Robbie, you will always be welcome at Alty :(

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 08:52:35 PM »

Robbie

Just to add my thanks to the others, I wish you well for your future and fully understand your reasons for leaving, and you have to put yourself first on this occasion.

I have enjoyed watching you and in particular reading your programme page, and also understand what a difficult decision it was for you. But thanks for your dedication to the club, commitment and being a fine captain. It helps us understand what the players go through and how they feel and I will miss that, not seeing your notes any more.

Take care of yourself and keep in touch with us all.

Steve from Sale and Alex from Sale, and Chris from Newcastle!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lawton leaves