PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Harrogate to follow Stalybridge's model
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Harrogate to follow Stalybridge's model  (Read 5381 times)

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:55:05 PM »

Interestingly from John Laidlair's site, Harrogate are to go full-time, it looks like its not only DAB that has been keeping a keen eye on Stalybridge.

The Harrogate Advertiser reports that "Harrogate Town will go full-time next season according to boss Simon Weaver as he plots a long-term strategy to move them into the Football Conference. The Wetherby Roaders will join other Blue Square North clubs who have decided to make the giant leap.
Using the example of Stalybridge, who have been impressive this season, Weaver said the decision was taking [?taken] and will start as of next season. 'We’re looking forward to it', he said. 'Other clubs have tried it, like Stalybridge. We’ve looked at their model and it seems to work'”.

The monthly Blue Square Bet leagues' Manager of the Month awards include:

Blue Square Bet North GARY LOWE from Hyde FC
As for Players of the Month...

Blue Square Bet North DANNY ROWE from Droylsden. The citation reads "Rowe found the net an incredible seven times during the month and also contributed a number of assists for the Bloods".

DAB @ ALTY

Re: Harrogate to follow Stalybridge's model
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »

Interestingly from John Laidlair's site, Harrogate are to go full-time, it looks like its not only DAB that has been keeping a keen eye on Stalybridge.

The Harrogate Advertiser reports that "Harrogate Town will go full-time next season according to boss Simon Weaver as he plots a long-term strategy to move them into the Football Conference. The Wetherby Roaders will join other Blue Square North clubs who have decided to make the giant leap.
Using the example of Stalybridge, who have been impressive this season, Weaver said the decision was taking [?taken] and will start as of next season. 'We’re looking forward to it', he said. 'Other clubs have tried it, like Stalybridge. We’ve looked at their model and it seems to work'”.

The monthly Blue Square Bet leagues' Manager of the Month awards include:

Blue Square Bet North GARY LOWE from Hyde FC
As for Players of the Month...

Blue Square Bet North DANNY ROWE from Droylsden. The citation reads "Rowe found the net an incredible seven times during the month and also contributed a number of assists for the Bloods".

Hopefully our board of directors will take some interest in the Harrogate statements,they are a club who I think get similar gates to Stalybridge but certainly a lower average than we get at Alty.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »

I'm not convinced by this statement to be honest.

At the start of the season it was the money man director throwing money at his manager son to get promoted.  Thats not worked.

Now its the money man chairman providing his manager son with a full time squad to see if he can do any better with that.

I'll bet my bottom dollar if he hasn't pulled out by next season he'll sign a load of journeymen.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:27:40 AM »

The whole concept is worth looking at, but the key issue is how much Stalybridge are actually paying in monetary terms. A low cost full time set up could still be a lot more than we can afford. The other acid test is how Stalybridge would do in BSP with their set up. Too early of course to judge that.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »

Ecky, that's a fair point but the chap is doing a lot more than that, this was on the website a couple of days ago

"Irving Weaver is to take over as the Chairman of Harrogate [Town] FC, this follows Bill Fotherby recently taking the decision to stand down from the positio" reports the Harrogate News. "There are also plans to continue to develop the club with refurbishment of some of the facilities at the Wetherby Road grounds.
Irving Weaver said, 'As a consequence of Bill Fotherby deciding to step down from his position as Chairman, it is a natural progression that as majority shareholder (through my Holding Company) I take up the responsibility of the role of Chairman. It means more profile than I would naturally seek, but it is essential that Harrogate Town is projected, obviously by results, but also by marketing and continual news of initiatives and progress.

We need to develop not only a football team but also a football club. The imminent conclusion of having a separate company with charitable status will help to develop our fund raising opportunities, whilst creating far greater links with our community than in the past.

We have support from the Football Association to afford us to level the pitch this next close season. The building on Wetherby Road, subject to planning, will be refurbished to provide offices for administration, a point of contact, advanced ticket sales and a small shop for our merchandise. The modernised building with good signage, open to a very busy Wetherby Road will send a clear message that we are open for business and a statement of intent about the progress of the club.

Whilst submitting the planning application for the offices, we have applied for planning permission to renew the terracing on Wetherby Road including a cantilevered roof extending to the pitch line. Again we have FA support to help with the funding.

Other initiatives are the refurbishment of the Sponsors' lounge which is essential in order to increase corporate support from the businesses of Harrogate and District and continual upgrade of the Social Club. This will be a long haul but, block by block, with your help we will get there."

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:40:38 AM »

The first thing that sticks out is they're levelling the pitch!!

I suppose the point is that these things do take the help of a loyal (?) benefactor. Bridgechad might correct me but their chairman Rob Gorski was Monaco based, so does have funds available to him. So while we're saying both these clubs are smaller crowd wise than us you do actually need financial support as well. I believe we should be actively seeking such support and investmment of course.

And before anybody says yeah but what if they get hit by a bus and we're left with no money that's not a valid argument, the odds on it happening are slim.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »

I suppose the point is that these things do take the help of a loyal (?) benefactor. Bridgechad might correct me but their chairman Rob Gorski was Monaco based, so does have funds available to him. So while we're saying both these clubs are smaller crowd wise than us you do actually need financial support as well. I believe we should be actively seeking such support and investmment of course.

And before anybody says yeah but what if they get hit by a bus and we're left with no money that's not a valid argument, the odds on it happening are slim.

Certainly not by the 285 Go Goodwin's Hale service, anyway.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:55:23 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

bridgechad

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 01:37:59 PM »

it depends on who you listen too i guess.  I believe Gorski worked for a company that meant he spent a lot of his time in monaco.  He said that it didn't mean he had buckets of money to throw at the team which i believed, but others in the conf north took as bull.  He also said we did it with a lower budget than the previous seasons part time squad (and Steve Burr on a full time contract).  I dont know figures, we might have had one of the biggest budgets in the league with burr, and our wage bill is still pretty competitive with the top teams or might have been mid table wage wise.  But until someone know how much everyone pays none of us can say how much and how it compares.

also our crowds are (slowly) creeping up now with last three games all over 600 (didnt have one above before then i think) and with boston, hyde and droyslden in the coming weeks at home i would think we would stay above 600 and hopefully another 1000+ crowd against hyde to go with the one against you.

DavidP

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »

No way this can work they get fewer fans than we do

Robin Reliant

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »

Does anyone know how our home crowd numbers compares between the first half of last season,and this season so far?

Are we better off financially in a lower league,but with better results ? (Home league games only!) and if we were to go Full time,

would we still be reliant on part time loan players

This is a serious post.....just couldn't help the touch of colour when I realised what I'd written.

roytonmike

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »

Does anyone know how our home crowd numbers compares between the first half of last season,and this season so far?
League gates 2010-11 average to end of November 1099; League gates 2011-12 average to end November 755. Nine matches in both cases.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »

Are we better off financially in a lower league,but with better results ? (Home league games only!) and if we were to go Full time,

would we still be reliant on part time loan players

This is a serious post.....just couldn't help the touch of colour when I realised what I'd written.

All the players we've brought in on loan so far have come from full-time clubs.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »

.....so we are better off at the bottom of a higher league...

and if we were full time any loan players would train with us fulltime

Thanks for that Leon & roytonmike

bumble

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 05:39:32 PM »

always gonna be the case - even if we had more home fans this season, the sheer numbers brought by Luton ect.. mean its better to be in the wrong end of a higher division

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 05:55:54 PM »

always gonna be the case - even if we had more home fans this season, the sheer numbers brought by Luton ect.. mean its better to be in the wrong end of a higher division

Away supporters at Moss Lane:

So, instead of welcoming.....

Stockport County, we've got Droylsden;

Wrexham, we've got Colwyn Bay;

Cambridge United, we've got Histon;  

York City, we've got Harrogate Town;

Southport, we've got Vauxhall Motors;

Luton Town, we've got Bishop's Stortford.

I shudder to think how just how much the club's revenue has been reduced.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:57:27 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team