News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 90th annual AGM

Author Topic: 90th annual AGM  (Read 5891 times)

Beez

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
90th annual AGM
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:10:32 AM »

Right OK then, i'm not a regular poster, often read but keep my distance from the whole forum thing. Just to add to other postings re; tonights game,  thought  it was a poor result tonight  v Corby, plenty of decent chances in the first half, but 2nd was poor, espicially after the subs we were lucky to claim a point if not for Coburn's heroics.

Back to my topic title though...  i'm just a little bemused as to why last night's AGM is yet to be mentioned on here yet? Is everybody just accepting that ending 2010/11 with a loss of £62,000 is simply due to loan players, a pitch cover and a new lawn mower?

Of course i (and i think most of us)  know the real answer to this query, but why is the club not just honestly admitting that we had to pay the previous manager (GH) compensation, talking to most fans it seems to be such a well known (fact?) that he was given a good compensation package? (As to be fair, are most managers when they leave a job). So why is this not transparent?

Are we really to expect that Young, Connors, Piergianni et al were that expensive last season to leave such a deficit? Blimey had we spent so much, how did we not stay up?  Do pitch covers, lawn mowers really cost that much?

I just feel (and to be fair i'm not a shareholder, would love to see the minutes and actual account figures) that we are being spun a bit of a yarn here.

taxi Phil

Re: 90th annual AGM
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:19:46 AM »

If Carlsberg made lawnmowers.......

RocketDan

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:31:03 AM »

I thought the money Heathcote got paid was essentially the covered by the donation from Carol Nash, neither of wouldn't have been budgeted for, so in effect cancelling each other out.

Considering our track record of accurate budgeting and ability to balance our regular income and expenditure, this abnormally large deficit would suggest GH was paid out somewhere in the region of £50-£60k, which i find hard to imagine the board would have done, even under the the circumstances of our disastrous start to last season. In all honesty, the figure I had approximated/heard down the grapevine was more in the region of £30k.

£62,000 is a substantial loss for the year and I can't see us breaking even this forthcoming year due to our continual failure to qualify for the 1st round of the FA cup.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:32:05 AM »

Beez,

As an Altrincham FC shareholder, I was present at the club's AGM on Monday, 5th December 2011.

Our present Chairman, Grahame Rowley, prefaced the meeting with an introductory address in relation to the near £62k loss for last season, as mentioned in John Laidlar's abridged report on the Alty website.

During this account of the reasons for the deficit, he referenced such expenses as the outlay on loan players but, significantly, also mentioned "ex gratia payments" and "contractual obligations" as being contributory factors to the extremely disappointing financial results.

Strangely, these details appear to have been omitted from the customarily reliable and accurate John Laidlar's synopsis of the meeting.

I may be going out on a limb....but I suspect that these expenses played somewhat more of an influential role in our first loss for several seasons than the cost of some new pitch covers and a new lawnmower.

I presume that Mister Heathcote was entitled to some form of compensation package on his departure and that such a payment inevitably inflicted a burden upon our budget for last season.

Quite why the club appears to be glossing over this aspect somewhat bewilders me, to be honest.

Hope that helps in relation to your query?!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:38:46 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »

As a club that's broken even for the last however many years, it's disappointing.If the former manager was given a decent compensation package, it should be transparent,not exact figures in the public domain. But an acknowledgement that this was one of a number of  reasons losses were so high.Payoffs for managers are common practise, I cannot understand why it wouldn't be mentioned as one of the reasons for disappointing figures.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:51:33 AM »

The  actual figures are irrelevant, and speculating them on here achieves little. If somebody has their contract paid up then fair enough, they are entitled to it. It's the airbrushing and glossing over I find a bit sad.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »

The  actual figures are irrelevant, and speculating them on here achieves little. If somebody has their contract paid up then fair enough, they are entitled to it. It's the airbrushing and glossing over I find a bit sad.

This.

seasonticket

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »

JL could not possibly go through the whole AGM verbatim. It is common knowledge that sacking a manager incurs a cost to the club. Therefore JL was only pointing out  causes of the loss that were perhaps not as easily recognised.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »

JL could not possibly go through the whole AGM verbatim. It is common knowledge that sacking a manager incurs a cost to the club. Therefore JL was only pointing out  causes of the loss that were perhaps not as easily recognised.

I certainly don't expect John Laidlar to produce a verbatim account of the AGM but ignoring the Chairman's references to "ex gratia payments" and "contractual obligations" in his synopsis simply bewilders me.

Such omissions only serve to paint the Board in a poor light, in my view.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Beez

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »

Bob, you are absolutely correct with your post, agree wholeheartedly.

SRT

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »

I agree that the Board should be transparent! As for compensation to GH if he had a contract that covered this it is right that the club met it's obligation. He was a good servant of the club for many years.

Jezza

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »

My understanding of the projected financial position was that the carol nash would meet the 'cote's contractual obligations thus cancelling out any ex gratia payments as previously suggested..... and that we had knowingly and purposely overspent by £30k on the likes of greg young etc in a bid to stay up..... a figure that would be deducted from this years budget meaning we'd be on an even keel for next season with apparently an extra £30k to budget with.

I'd just like to know what the projected situation will be at the end of this season or do we have to go another season paying for the lawn mower?....coz I'd planned my life around having £30k extra + Michael Twiss' wages and have already told everyone we'd pi$$ this tinpot league next season...
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 90th annual AGM