PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Roy Rees RIP
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roy Rees RIP  (Read 11885 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Roy Rees RIP
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:48:25 PM »

Very sad news to see him pass.

Took us to Goodison, relit the Freddie Pye torch, and laid the path for Tony Sanders.

Peter Eales, Stan Allen, JohnOwens, John Davison, Gerry Casey, Ivan Crossley, !
Mickey Brooke, John Hughes, lennie Dickenson, andy Windsor, phil smith, Roy hughes were all brought to the club by Roy

Graham heathcote was given his break, Ian Morris was brought back...

Alty would not have the reputation for greatness without Roy Rees.

Rest in Peace and thank you

Hamilton

Re: Roy Rees RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:51:53 PM »

Very sad news. RIP and condolences to his family.

York Alty

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »

I know so little about him either my ignorance or an overlooked servant to the club.

A life well lived.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »

Took us to Goodison, relit the Freddie Pye torch, and laid the path for Tony Sanders.

Mickey Brooke, John Hughes, lennie Dickenson, andy Windsor, phil smith, Roy hughes were all brought to the club by Roy

Bill,

May I add the great Joe Pritchard to your roll call of Roy Rees' fine signings for Altrincham FC?

One of my earliest Moss Lane heroes - the club's leading goalscorer (whilst playing in midfield) in the 1973/74 NPL season.

Very sad to hear this news.

Roy Rees' Alty sides treated me to some tremendous entertainment and marvellous memories during his tenure at Moss Lane and his team would have won the 1973/74 NPL title but for a horrendous fixture backlog comprising 12 matches during the month of April 1974.

He laid some great foundations for the halcyon years of success that would grace Altrincham FC between 1978 and 1982.

RIP and thanks for the memories.

It would be splendid and fitting if the club were to honour him by having a minute's applause in tribute to him before the Boxing Day fixture against Droylsden.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 11:41:58 PM »

Oh joey Pritchard.  And I forgot Alan Wolfe and Bobby Todd from the previous season.

He made Stan Allen a non league legend - amateur cup winners medal with skem (beat dagenham 4-1) and trophy winner vs leather head.  First player to win both

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 01:11:54 AM »

Roy Rees was instrumental in building the foundations of our reputation we still enjoy today. Those 3 seasons from 72 to 75 saw us established as a real force in the NPL as opposed to underachievers given our success in the Cheshire League. RIP a true Alty legend.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 05:49:49 AM »

We tend to remember all the achievements made by the club under Tony Sanders - but without Roy, we wouldn't have had Tony.

He truly laid the foundations of the greatest days in the history of this club, and was a football visionary of the highest order.

RIP Roy - it was a privilege to be along for the ride.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 04:53:52 PM »

Bill,

May I add the great Joe Pritchard to your roll call of Roy Rees' fine signings for Altrincham FC?

One of my earliest Moss Lane heroes - the club's leading goalscorer (whilst playing in midfield) in the 1973/74 NPL season.

Very sad to hear this news.

Roy Rees' Alty sides treated me to some tremendous entertainment and marvellous memories during his tenure at Moss Lane and his team would have won the 1973/74 NPL title but for a horrendous fixture backlog comprising 12 matches during the month of April 1974.

He laid some great foundations for the halcyon years of success that would grace Altrincham FC between 1978 and 1982.

RIP and thanks for the memories.

It would be splendid and fitting if the club were to honour him by having a minute's applause in tribute to him before the Boxing Day fixture against Droylsden.

YES YES YES!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 06:10:34 PM »

And here are some of Roy Rees' players (including a certain G Heathcote), as portrayed in an Altrincham Guardian special supplement previewing the Robins' FA Cup Third Round tie against Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday, 4th January 1975:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:12:20 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »

I started in 1971, but I don't recall who was the boss then, I was only 9, but I remember RR and the team he gradually built. If I recall when I started watching in 71-72 we had a few old Macc has-beens, had just lost Jackie Swindells and were average...well so my dad said anyway, all I remember is beating Ellesmere PT 4-2 and an old bloke giving me a Blue Ribbon biscuit.

It was my first football experience, I knew little but I did learn quickly and when Roy arrived he brought in some players who made me want to be like them. Joe Pritchard was an early hero, Alan Wolfe could hit a ball like Charlton, Andy Windsor's speed,  Lennie Dickenson was my Johnny Giles,  later of course the never to be forgotten John Hughes plus all the other players already mentioned.

You were the foundation Roy, and you probably were why this old sod is still hooked when I could have got very bored as a 10 year old. Rest in Peace and thank you.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »

I started in 1971, but I don't recall who was the boss then, I was only 9, but I remember RR and the team he gradually built. If I recall when I started watching in 71-72 we had a few old Macc has-beens, had just lost Jackie Swindells and were average...well so my dad said anyway, all I remember is beating Ellesmere PT 4-2 and an old bloke giving me a Blue Ribbon biscuit.

It was my first football experience, I knew little but I did learn quickly and when Roy arrived he brought in some players who made me want to be like them. Joe Pritchard was an early hero, Alan Wolfe could hit a ball like Charlton, Andy Windsor's speed,  Lennie Dickenson was my Johnny Giles,  later of course the never to be forgotten John Hughes plus all the other players already mentioned.

You were the foundation Roy, and you probably were why this old sod is still hooked when I could have got very bored as a 10 year old. Rest in Peace and thank you.
Well put Steve.  He was manager when I started going in 1973 and we seemed to be on the up.   Then  Les Rigby,then back on track with Tony Sanders.  RIP indeed.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »

Roy made the most important decision in our club's history.. bringing in Tony Sanders.

RIP Tony, the man who helped create the legends that dominated Non League football like no other team has or ever will do..

God bless you Roy

Nic

roytonmike

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »

Very sad news. An intelligent man; an excellent coach; he knew how to create a balanced team. This club owes Roy Rees an awful lot. I hope the club will indeed use the next home game to mark his passing in a fitting manner. May he rest in peace.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Roy Rees RIP