PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Roy Rees RIP
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Roy Rees RIP  (Read 11888 times)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Roy Rees RIP
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »

Very sad news to see him pass.

Took us to Goodison, relit the Freddie Pye torch, and laid the path for Tony Sanders.

Peter Eales, Stan Allen, JohnOwens, John Davison, Gerry Casey, Ivan Crossley, !
Mickey Brooke, John Hughes, lennie Dickenson, andy Windsor, phil smith, Roy hughes were all brought to the club by Roy

Graham heathcote was given his break, Ian Morris was brought back...

Alty would not have the reputation for greatness without Roy Rees.

Rest in Peace and thank you

Bill,

May I add the great Joe Pritchard to your roll call of Roy Rees' fine signings for Altrincham FC?

One of my earliest Moss Lane heroes - the club's leading goalscorer (whilst playing in midfield) in the 1973/74 NPL season.

Very sad to hear this news.

Roy Rees' Alty sides treated me to some tremendous entertainment and marvellous memories during his tenure at Moss Lane and his team would have won the 1973/74 NPL title but for a horrendous fixture backlog comprising 12 matches during the month of April 1974.

He laid some great foundations for the halcyon years of success that would grace Altrincham FC between 1978 and 1982.

RIP and thanks for the memories.

It would be splendid and fitting if the club were to honour him by having a minute's applause in tribute to him before the Boxing Day fixture against Droylsden.

Totally agree with you Cult. I got to know him personally while he was Alty boss. Yes he put us back on the Map and started the great years of the 1970's. Sadly many fans blamed him for us not winning the title the season he left us, when he gave advanced notice of his intended departure when we thought we had the NPL title in the bag. Above his achievements I will always remember him as a VERY NICE MAN.R.I.P. He definately was the inspiration behind Tony Sanders becoming a great manager.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:53:59 AM by RedhillAlty »

anglo alty

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »

rip roy and condolences to yourr family i will never forget goodison and john hughes giving us the lead you lit th blue touch paper for alty's rise to the top

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 09:20:32 PM »

Just adding my condolences, Roy was the Alty manager when I first started watching the Alty - V Buxton at home - 06th Oct 74 - won 5-1.

Thanks for all that and my earliest memories. Remember a Lennie Dickinson sliding tackle which almost put him studs first into our dugout, nearly nailing Roy Rees in the process. And also Stan Allen nobling an ethnic winger on first the right side and then the left side of the pitch, and holding up his hands to claim mistimed tackles to the referee.

Great man, and sorry to hear the news.

Steve from Sale.

markecky

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 11:34:39 PM »

Just to add my two penneth, RIP Roy and thoughts with his family.

Not old enough to see him manage but its clear from what the wise old guard on here say that he was a big part of Alty history.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 07:35:26 PM »

Very sad news. An intelligent man; an excellent coach; he knew how to create a balanced team. This club owes Roy Rees an awful lot. I hope the club will indeed use the next home game to mark his passing in a fitting manner. May he rest in peace.

A tougher task than many people realise. RIP Roy Rees and many thanks.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 06:33:01 AM »

I remember being stood in the Stretford Paddock with Roy Rees and a couple of his friends watching a League Cup tie between United and Burnley in the early 70's. Big Jim Holton was United's Centre Half and had a reputation for being a big hard Jock. I asked Roy Rees if he thought Jim was as hard as Gerry Casey, Alty's Centre half at the time. His reply was "NO, and Gerry is a better Centre Half!" His first point was obvious as Gerry was much tougher than the so called hard men of the 70' including Johnny King and the likes of Bremner, Hunter, Chooper Harris, Tommy Smith ect. Roy's second point showed what Roy knew about footballers as Gerry was a very classy Centre Half and in my opinion could have made it to the top and a lot further than Tranmere had he been given the chance. I didnt realise that he did so much for Soccer in the USA. Thanks for the memories and R.I.P Roy.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »

I remember being stood in the Stretford Paddock with Roy Rees and a couple of his friends watching a League Cup tie between United and Burnley in the early 70's. Big Jim Holton was United's Centre Half and had a reputation for being a big hard Jock. I asked Roy Rees if he thought Jim was as hard as Gerry Casey, Alty's Centre half at the time. His reply was "NO, and Gerry is a better Centre Half!" His first point was obvious as Gerry was much tougher than the so called hard men of the 70' including Johnny King and the likes of Bremner, Hunter, Chooper Harris, Tommy Smith ect. Roy's second point showed what Roy knew about footballers as Gerry was a very classy Centre Half and in my opinion could have made it to the top and a lot further than Tranmere had he been given the chance. I didnt realise that he did so much for Soccer in the USA. Thanks for the memories and R.I.P Roy.

Even Kingy has cited Gerry Casey as the hardest man he ever encountered in football.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 11:57:47 PM »

Just before my real supporting days began, but have vague memories and from everything I've read and heard from others a true legend indeed. A sad loss and no age these days.

Commiserations to friends and family.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Jezza

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »

Just to add my condolensces to the family.....the everton season was my first season as a 5year old trainee alty fan for life but i can well remember goodison park and old trafford.....RIP Roy and thanks for those very early memories that got me hooked on alty.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 09:56:34 AM »

Even Kingy has cited Gerry Casey as the hardest man he ever encountered in football.

"Six foot two,Eyes of Blue, Gerry Casey's after you, na na na na ...." etc
Still one of my favourite ever chants.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Roy Rees RIP