PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Your pre-Alty team
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your pre-Alty team  (Read 7735 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Your pre-Alty team
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:23:06 PM »

I first watched Alty when I was about 6 but have been a regular and "proper" Alty fan ever since the age of 9. Prior to that I "supported" City (ie. had the kit and wanted them to win but never went to any games).

Who was your pre-Alty team?

Come on Alty!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Your pre-Alty team
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »

Back in the early 60's... I remember the likes of Tommy Banks, Freddie Taberner, Bobby Allen George Greenhall  Derek Halliwell Frankie Peters,  Felix Riley, Les Campbell, John Higgins, Bobby English, Paddy Mulvey, Clive Colbridge and Ray Perry to name but a few. Freddie Pye was the manager.  Happy Days.

VofD

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »

HAMILTON ACCIES, BRENTFORD, QPR and then ALTY since 1984.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »

I used to "support" United and then Liverpool for some reason.

Then I had my first taste of non league when I followed Barnet when they played away games in the north during their conference years. A mate's dad who supported them used to take us. Could have been about 2004/2005? Remember going on brilliant trips to places like Carlisle and Burton. I suppose that's how I got in to Alty a few years later when I think about it.

Currently I also have soft spots for Stoke City, GAP Connah's Quay, Slovenia and Trafford.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

mikealty

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »

I was a City fan for 13 years, came to Alty for the game against Tamworth last season and I've been to every game i can since!  :) they say it's unfaithful to ditch a team but I honestly can't stand foreign owners and the Premier League. This is real football and I'm here for life, 100% Alty.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »

Supported Liverpool because they won everything until 1986 and then supported Alty from 1987 since when the have won nothing*  ;D

* Apart from the monor cups which i fully enjoyed and the playoffs etc but you know what I mean and this bit ruins the gag.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:25:54 PM »

Supported Liverpool because they won everything until 1986 and then supported Alty from 1987 since when the have won nothing*  ;D

* Apart from the monor cups which i fully enjoyed and the playoffs etc but you know what I mean and this bit ruins the gag.

It was only the Birch brothers who won the Moaner Cups, not Alty as a club.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

roytonmike

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »

My Dad was born in Moss Side and raised on the Wilbraham Estate, just off Platt Lane. That might explain a boyhood attraction to City on my part. I was introduced to Moss Lane in about 1967 - a schoolboy representative match of some kind, I think - and started attending Alty in the first season of the Northern Premier League (1968). 43 years on I'm still insane ...

dunhamalty

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »

My pre alty team were united. My dad took me to Northwich away about 4 years ago when Little missed a penalty! Ever since that game United have been  a distant memory.

I do dream of the day we get United at Old Trafford in the FA cup!

whopper

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »

Used to be a Liverpool fan untill I came along to watch alty train on a school night when I was 13, when they let me and my mate play in the goal at one end, we got to know the players and they were great,

I still enjoy the look on peoples faces when I say alty is my team, it like "oh right then"

York Alty

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »

Apologies for going off topic a wee bit but there are two people in the village who think i support accrington bloody stanley.  I get emails with articles, photos etc and asked how 'accrington got on'.  aggghgghhhh.

one of them is a sheff utd fan so he should bloomin' well know better.

no matter how many times I explain...

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »

I did it "the other way round". After watching Alty from 1953-6 (and they weren't very good I'm afraid) I fell for the charms of the Busby Babes, and watched them for a couple of years. I had a brief flirtation with County, and then watched both United and Alty until I moved to the West Midlands in 1970.

There was a most enjoyable exile with Aston Villa until I came home in 1973 - I had some good times at Villa Park where they had a very entertaining side based around Bruce Rioch and Chico Hamilton. Went to Wembley with them for the (unlucky) League Cup Final defeat by Spurs in 1971.

But once I was home, it was Moss Lane to the exclusion of all others.

bumble

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »

United....

Properly started going to Alty with my dad/brother 2006-7 season occasionally

wasnt untill 08-09 i went every week

Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »

As a kid it was United first then Alty until I first moved away from the area at 19. It was then that I missed the town and the club and only towards my late 2s, when I first got a car, that I was able to act on my feelings and get to Moss Lane.

I now feel the biggest angst of being an exile in rarely being able to see our beloved team.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 09:09:50 PM »

Back in the early 60's... I remember the likes of Tommy Banks, Freddie Taberner, Bobby Allen George Greenhall  Derek Halliwell Frankie Peters,  Felix Riley, Les Campbell, John Higgins, Bobby English, Paddy Mulvey, Clive Colbridge and Ray Perry to name but a few. Freddie Pye was the manager.  Happy Days.

I'm reading into this, Ray, that your pre-Alty team was......err.........Alty ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Your pre-Alty team