General Category > Altrincham FC First Team

Re-run of Radio Robins Commentary on Droylsden game on New Year's Day

<< < (2/3) > >>

Robin Reliant:

--- Quote from: Hamilton on January 05, 2012, 01:06:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: (S)ALTY on January 05, 2012, 10:04:14 AM ---Is there any truth in the rumour that Brian Flynn's next Radio Robins commentary match will be sponsored by 'Venos' ?  ;)

Now I am showing my age !    ???

--- End quote ---

If you really were showing your age you would know that Sir William Henry Veno, who brought the recipe for Venos from America in the early 1900s, was mayor of Altrincham 1923-24.

--- End quote ---

Sir William Henry Veno was born William Reynard Varney in 1866 in Castle Douglas. In August 1894, aged just 28 years, he moved to Canada and registered his company Veno's. Whilst there he invented Veno's Lightening Cough Cure and Germolene among many others, and these famous brands are still known and used to this day.
He met Mary Pearson whilst abroad and they married and moved back to live in England, where William set up his company, Veno Drug Company Limited, in Manchester on Chester Road. (Though this building was in existence in June 1922 when permission was given for an extension, it seems to no longer exist).
William was knighted 15th June 1920 and became the Mayor of Altrincham.
Following a scare regarding a growth on his lip which was believed to be cancerous, he offered tens of thousands of pounds for anyone who could find a cure for cancer.
The Veno Drug Company was bought in 1925 by Beechams. Sadly, in 1933, Sir William was found shot dead in the grounds of his house. A verdict of suicide was given.

Brilliant this internet isn't it?    ;)          Bet you wish my connection was down again  ;D ;D

Hamilton:

--- Quote from: Robin Reliant on January 05, 2012, 04:58:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: (S)ALTY on January 05, 2012, 10:04:14 AM ---Is there any truth in the rumour that Brian Flynn's next Radio Robins commentary match will be sponsored by 'Venos' ?  ;)

--- End quote ---

If you really were showing your age you would know that Sir William Henry Veno, who brought the recipe for Venos from America in the early 1900s, was mayor of Altrincham 1923-24.

--- End quote ---

Sir William Henry Veno was born William Reynard Varney in 1866 in Castle Douglas. In August 1894, aged just 28 years, he moved to Canada and registered his company Veno's. Whilst there he invented Veno's Lightening Cough Cure and Germolene among many others, and these famous brands are still known and used to this day.
He met Mary Pearson whilst abroad and they married and moved back to live in England, where William set up his company, Veno Drug Company Limited, in Manchester on Chester Road. (Though this building was in existence in June 1922 when permission was given for an extension, it seems to no longer exist).
Following a scare regarding a growth on his lip which was believed to be cancerous, he offered tens of thousands of pounds for anyone who could find a cure for cancer.
The Veno Drug Company was bought in 1925 by Beechams. Sadly, in 1933, Sir William was found shot dead in the grounds of his house. A verdict of suicide was given.

--- End quote ---
Its part of my sales patter when people are looking for cold remedies!

Robin Reliant:

--- Quote from: Hamilton on January 05, 2012, 10:45:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: Robin Reliant on January 05, 2012, 04:58:09 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Its part of my sales patter when people are looking for cold remedies!

--- End quote ---

Theres no answer to that!   ;D ;D

(S)ALTY:
WOW ! Little did I know that a an off the cuff comment about Venos Cough mixture would ellicit such a response.

And Mayor of Altrincham at that ?

I hope that comes up in the quiz I'm off to tonight.

I think Radio Robins should give a free bottle away in the commentary tomorrow.

I can see a bottle of Venos now replacing the legendary Mansfield Town Stationery Set as the must have item for 2012 ! 

I'm off down the chemist's right now !

Brian Flynn:

--- Quote from: TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe on January 04, 2012, 04:10:09 PM ---

Let's be honest, the highlight was Flynny's coughing fit at half-time....!

--- End quote ---

I have failed my fitness test & will have to sit out the Colwyn Bay game :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version