PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The official pubs we've loved and lost thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The official pubs we've loved and lost thread  (Read 37714 times)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The official pubs we've loved and lost thread
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »

the Pop Inn had been there ages but the change came when "greedy" Bob took over with his wife Jane, eventually renaming it Streets Ahead. I always felt their change in direction and subsequent success was down to me and my mates going in every day on our way to get the 263/4 home and asking for increasingly obscure singles.
If you read any of the Rough Trade histories they get a few mentions as they became the nortwest hub for the RT distribution network and as such really important in that postpunk era.
Also of course they were responsible for promoting the legendary gigs at the Bowdon Vale Club, Joy Division, the Fall, Scritti Politti etc etc

look at that line up! every now and then I tell a factory/joy division obsessive I was there and watch them froth at the mouth

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »

Had my first pint in the Downs(it was opposite work,best chippy used to be Peter Street.Used to like the Wilsons mild in the pub by George Masons,but cannot remember its name now.
Harold

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »

the Pop Inn had been there ages but the change came when "greedy" Bob took over with his wife Jane, eventually renaming it Streets Ahead. I always felt their change in direction and subsequent success was down to me and my mates going in every day on our way to get the 263/4 home and asking for increasingly obscure singles.
If you read any of the Rough Trade histories they get a few mentions as they became the nortwest hub for the RT distribution network and as such really important in that postpunk era.
Also of course they were responsible for promoting the legendary gigs at the Bowdon Vale Club, Joy Division, the Fall, Scritti Politti etc etc

look at that line up! every now and then I tell a factory/joy division obsessive I was there and watch them froth at the mouth

The Manager of Joy Davision, Rob Gretton use to live next door to my Aunt on Fouracres Road opposite Wythenshawe hospital. Sadly he passed away in the 90's at the relatively young age of 42 - he was a big City fan.

taxi Phil

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »

Had my first pint in the Downs(it was opposite work,best chippy used to be Peter Street.Used to like the Wilsons mild in the pub by George Masons,but cannot remember its name now.
The Faulkners Arms.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »

I'm reliably informed that the licensee of The Bricklayers and The Orange Tree has handed the keys back to Enterprise Inns. Enterprise have put a temporary manager in the Tree for now until a new leaseholder can be found. No news on the Brickies.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2012, 01:40:11 PM »

those lovely people from enterprise inns , britains second best pub closing company slightly behind punch taverns. thats yer rent and its 3 times more expensive than the wholesalers to buy yer beer . dont fall for it if your thinking about it?
british pubs will continue to die whilst people like these own the pubs

rant over......... sorry

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »

Thanks Phil it was indeed the faulkners arms
Harold

York Alty

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »

those lovely people from enterprise inns , britains second best pub closing company slightly behind punch taverns. thats yer rent and its 3 times more expensive than the wholesalers to buy yer beer . dont fall for it if your thinking about it?

rant over......... sorry

apot on.  smokers think its the smoking ban that's closing pubs.  it's not.  its the bent Pubco practices.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »

rant over......... sorry

Don't be sorry Peter, spot on, the pubco parasites are the reason our favourite boozers are vanishing so fast, the only thing we can do is support your local, and perhaps lobby your MP. The British pub and local is an endangered species.

thegazelle

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »

oh now you've got me started  
the smoking ban doesnt help but its fourth behind
 no 2cheap booze from the supermarkets
and no 3  the fact that my generation is the last generation to think going to the pub every night is normal , particularly to play that dying game darts , or doms or don or crib . you just dont see it any more. its been replaced by television in pubs  . televisions should only be switched on when there is football on . for fecks sake people watch all sorts of sh*t now. switch it off talk to each other, become friends, play games you have to think about .

RIP the british pub .

rant not over there is more to come

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »

Not convinced by the smoking ban argument, you can still go to the pub and nip outside for a fag, most pubs have made provision. For every smoker there should be someone who doesn't who can now go home without having to wash their clothes. Tricky one. I just ask everyone to support their local pub at least once a week or lose it. Please do.

thegazelle

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »

AS A BORN AGAIN NON SMOKER (apart from the last two weeks in goa which may not have been entirely tabacco related)  I have some sympathy but dont se e why you cant have a room where every one can smoke, if it is away from the non smoking room . ie not connected at all. if the bar persons says they are happy to work in that environment (obviously signs a form in triplicate to say so) then whats the problem if there are people smoking in there and you dont like it dont fecking go in there. or is that to simple for this nanny state.

the gazelle ..........ranting well tonight

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2012, 05:46:19 PM »

Apart from the attractions of Sky tv a home and cheap supermarket beer doesn't a big part of the problem go back to the breweries having to offload a large number of their pubs in the name of competition with the result being there's even less competition now because there's even less pubs?

Hugo

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2012, 05:58:10 PM »

oh now you've got me started  
the smoking ban doesnt help but its fourth behind
 no 2cheap booze from the supermarkets
and no 3  the fact that my generation is the last generation to think going to the pub every night is normal , particularly to play that dying game darts , or doms or don or crib . you just dont see it any more. its been replaced by television in pubs  . televisions should only be switched on when there is football on . for fecks sake people watch all sorts of sh*t now. switch it off talk to each other, become friends, play games you have to think about .

RIP the british pub .

rant not over there is more to come

Spot on.

Unfortunately talking to each other is a foreign concept to most people these days. There's nothing in this world more interesting than people and when they've had a couple of pints they usually get more interesting.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »

I remember the owner of the bar Orange Grove in El Rompido, Huelva in Sevilla ,saying it was cheaper to run a bar in Spain than it is to run a pub in England.
They really should be beating teams like us
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The official pubs we've loved and lost thread