PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 who would you say......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: who would you say......  (Read 10458 times)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
Re: who would you say......
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 08:14:31 PM »

In 18 years of watching Alty,I've seen 6 managers (King,Taylor,Ward,Heathcote,McKenna and Sinnott). I don't know if I could pick a best and worst out of them, all have strengths and weaknesses.

As for Sinnott being up there/on his way as one of the worst, people seem to have short memories. Yes, the defense situation has been farcical this season, but at times this season I have seen us play some of our best football for many years. I'm not saying he will become an Alty legend,but I wouldn't say he is the worst manager this club has had.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

markecky

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »

Best has to be Tony Sanders that I know of.

Worst has to be Stan Allen - 13 consecutive defeats and I went to every one. Glad there was no forum then..

whopper

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »

In 18 years of watching Alty,I've seen 6 managers (King,Taylor,Ward,Heathcote,McKenna and Sinnott). I don't know if I could pick a best and worst out of them, all have strengths and weaknesses.

As for Sinnott being up there/on his way as one of the worst, people seem to have short memories. Yes, the defense situation has been farcical this season, but at times this season I have seen us play some of our best football for many years. I'm not saying he will become an Alty legend,but I wouldn't say he is the worst manager this club has had.
fair enough nasha, cant really say sinnott untill the end of the 2 year plan  ;D

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »

Based on my 20 years Heathcote (yes really, a good assistant especially) and the worst Kilkline who just couldn't be arsed. As for Mark Ward he got it wrong playing football in a swamp.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »

Brian Kilcline was joint coach with Nigel Gleghorn for the brief time he was with us. He was never our manager or assistant manager.
Come on Alty!

taxi Phil

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »

Although Tommy Docherty appeared to be a poor manager in his time here, it shouldn't be forgotten that he was reponsible for the sell-on clause in the Paul Edwards transfer that made the club a lot of money.

mikealty

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »

best - Pye/Sanders

worst - Sinnott/Williams
To say that Sinnott is one of our worst ever managers after this long is completely ridiculous

John Crewe

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 09:13:05 PM »

best - Pye/Sanders

worst - Sinnott/Williams
To say that Sinnott is one of our worst ever managers after this long is completely ridiculous
Ok Mike just my thinking

But as you disagree would you care to enlighten me, who was worse in your opinion?

Ascot Alty

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 10:02:07 PM »

Nasha, Kilcline and Gleghorn were so bad you've wiped them from memory!

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »

As mentioned before Kilcline and Gleghorn were never managers. They were fist team coaches under Bernard Taylor.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »

Although Tommy Docherty appeared to be a poor manager in his time here, it shouldn't be forgotten that he was reponsible for the sell-on clause in the Paul Edwards transfer that made the club a lot of money.

Actually Phil it was the Secretary of Crewe who asked us whether we'd forgotten the sell on clause. Mr Docherty was reportedly on a speaking engagement on Scotland at the time

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »

I agree that our defence has been a disgrace this season BUT our forward line has been absolutely brilliant, and we have played some fantastic football.

Sinnott can rightly be called for being unable to find non-calamity defenders, but the signings of James Lawrie and Jack Redshaw were first class.

Sinnott worst manager? Ridiculous. On the whole I have enjoyed this season and how anyone can say it has been worse than those dark days of the Unibond I'll never understand.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »

Maybe not our best manager, but I always felt Gerry Quinn's contribution (especially in his first season) was a little underrated. He not only got us to the FA Cup second round but the team he assembled contained a good few players who served the club well over many seasons.
Come on Alty!

AltySi

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:10 PM »

best - Pye/Sanders

worst - Sinnott/Williams

Totally agree, ridiculous comments.

whopper

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 01:11:29 PM »

He may end up being the best/worst no one can say which untill he has finished or got us promoted or wona cup game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 who would you say......