PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reeves Daily Mail article
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Reeves Daily Mail article  (Read 39128 times)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Reeves Daily Mail article
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »

Solution: he signs a contract with Alty allowing him to move for free to a league club as long as there is a sell on clause. Does that work?

WHY!!!!!

Just a thought!

And what would Reeves gain from doing that?

Jezza

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »

Hi Damian, listen, you've worked hard for us and we'd like you to stay and can give you a contract now that guarantees you and your family securityfor the next year in the unlikely event that no-one else offers you acceptable terms or you get hit by a bus tomorrow...now, we wont stop you leaving for another club if one comes in and we wont ask for a fee and we'll put that into your contract...all we will ask the club you want to go to is that they agree to a sell on fee if that club should ever sell you on....

Oh yeah....no way any player in the world would agree to that......and no club is going to sign damian under such unreasonable terms...

would morecambe have been put off taking jack redshaw for nothing if we'd insisted on claiming 10% of any fee they got if they ever sold him on?....

...sorry is it me????? must be losing my marbles coz it makes sense to me... clearly we should just give up now and let the lad go for nothing....

maybe damian would gain nothing....apart from the security of a contract under his belt....but it would cost him nothing and would be a nice way of him of him doing the club that has given him his chance to shine a favour....

markecky

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »

Hi Damian, listen, you've worked hard for us and we'd like you to stay and can give you a contract now that guarantees you and your family securityfor the next year in the unlikely event that no-one else offers you acceptable terms or you get hit by a bus tomorrow...now, we wont stop you leaving for another club if one comes in and we wont ask for a fee and we'll put that into your contract...all we will ask the club you want to go to is that they agree to a sell on fee if that club should ever sell you on....

Oh yeah....no way any player in the world would agree to that......and no club is going to sign damian under such unreasonable terms...

would morecambe have been put off taking jack redshaw for nothing if we'd insisted on claiming 10% of any fee they got if they ever sold him on?....

...sorry is it me????? must be losing my marbles coz it makes sense to me... clearly we should just give up now and let the lad go for nothing....

maybe damian would gain nothing....apart from the security of a contract under his belt....but it would cost him nothing and would be a nice way of him of him doing the club that has given him his chance to shine a favour....

Do you think that Englands top scorer is worried about the security of a contract!

He owes us nothing and will sign nothing, especially not a contract that just been dreamed up on the forum.

Butty

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »

Do you think that Englands top scorer is worried about the security of a contract!

He owes us nothing and will sign nothing, especially not a contract that just been dreamed up on the forum.

Bollocks to it, lets not discuss formations or our opinions of the quality of the players, because the manager isn't going to listen to anything dreamt up on the forum.
But in answer to eckys post before WHY NOT!!!!!!!!!!! What would he have to lose from that?

Hamilton

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:22 PM »

Bollocks to it, lets not discuss formations or our opinions of the quality of the players, because the manager isn't going to listen to anything dreamt up on the forum.
But in answer to eckys post before WHY NOT!!!!!!!!!!! What would he have to lose from that?

No harm in trying!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2012, 10:17:24 PM »

This thread has been very instructive as to which forum members can and cannot follow a logical argument.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

York Alty

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »

This thread has been very instructive as to which forum members can and cannot follow a logical argument.

lost me posts and posts ago.  Put me in the durr brain camp.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »

I think it's all about being realistic. Yes, by all means the club should do (and is doing) all it can to hold onto Damian Reeves. He is a fantastic striker who has achieved a tally of league goals in one season that we will most likely never see by another Alty striker in the next 50 years. Who in their right mind wouldn't move heaven and earth to try and retain his services?
        Now look at it from Damian's perspective: he stayed here last summer when more lucrative offers were on the table and showed loyalty to Altrincham Football Club at a time when jumping ship would have been the easiest thing in the world to do. He more than repaid us with repeated displays of finishing that have been the highlight of an ultimately disappointing season. As a result of his individual success he will now be courted by clubs far and wide looking to secure his services for next season and beyond. This is going to be his big chance.
         I understand why people are suggesting that we should try and get him to sign some sort of contract because it's only natural that we, as a club, want to try and offset the potential loss of our best playing asset in the summer by earning some kind of financial windfall in the future. However, we have to be realistic and accept that someone in Damian's position is highly unlikely to do that as life just doesn't work like that. The guy owes us nothing and as much as I would jump for joy if he signed on with us again I just think it won't happen, not in any shape or form.

Come on Alty!

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 12:49:57 AM »

By golly chip pan man you have summed it up rather nicely.........maybe others will now read this and start to 'get it.......I know many already have

BTW.......If you ask me I think we should get Reevesy to sign a contract so we get some money for him if / when he leaves  ::)
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 05:22:11 AM »

Has no-one thought of the option of physically forcing Damian to sign a contract?
We need to think outside the (penalty) box.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 06:29:29 AM »

How about putting it this way. There is absolutely no harm in offering a contract to a player who wants to leave and would have higher placed, better resourced clubs after him.

But the player would be nuts to sign it.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2012, 06:35:41 AM »

I think we should tell him that this new shopping centre that's being built has hundreds of units that need plastering, and that the owner is a football fanatic and will only allow an altrincham player to carry out the work.

Altyant

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »

I think it's all about being realistic. Yes, by all means the club should do (and is doing) all it can to hold onto Damian Reeves. He is a fantastic striker who has achieved a tally of league goals in one season that we will most likely never see by another Alty striker in the next 50 years. Who in their right mind wouldn't move heaven and earth to try and retain his services?
        Now look at it from Damian's perspective: he stayed here last summer when more lucrative offers were on the table and showed loyalty to Altrincham Football Club at a time when jumping ship would have been the easiest thing in the world to do. He more than repaid us with repeated displays of finishing that have been the highlight of an ultimately disappointing season. As a result of his individual success he will now be courted by clubs far and wide looking to secure his services for next season and beyond. This is going to be his big chance.
         I understand why people are suggesting that we should try and get him to sign some sort of contract because it's only natural that we, as a club, want to try and offset the potential loss of our best playing asset in the summer by earning some kind of financial windfall in the future. However, we have to be realistic and accept that someone in Damian's position is highly unlikely to do that as life just doesn't work like that. The guy owes us nothing and as much as I would jump for joy if he signed on with us again I just think it won't happen, not in any shape or form.

Top post

whopper

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2012, 10:54:19 PM »

Its a shame, but i have to say that even if we wouldve won the league, reeves would still go as he has to seek his best potential after giving us another shot, its a weird game football, this time last season nicky clee was our best player, now he can only just make the team out of position! basically anything could happen, he could even go to ascotland and play for ross county next season!

taxi Phil

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »

I shook Damien's hand before the game at Eastwood this afternoon, thanked him for giving me something special to remember in an otherwise disappointing season, and wished him well wherever he may be next season.

It's important he knows how much he's appreciated, and the reception the lads got at the end today is another good reminder.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reeves Daily Mail article