PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Slightly Off Topic but Great News IMHO
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slightly Off Topic but Great News IMHO  (Read 7865 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I think it worthy of mention

Altrincham's own Anthony Taylor has been appointed to Referee the FA Trophy Final this year.

This is a huge (and IMHO well deserved) honour

Robin Reliant

Re: Slightly Off Topic but Great News IMHO
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »

Not in the wrong place as far as I am concerned.

A huge honour....many congratulations.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »

Great news for the lad, well done.

York Alty

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »

Question for ATS and others...

Where does this stand in the expected career progress of a premier league referee? 
Is it a reward for doing well, or could it be construed as a kick in the pants - you're doing non-league, at Wembley, but non-league...a sort of backhanded compliment.

Honest question.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »

He's done really well and it is a truly great honour for him to officiate at Wembley Stadium.

Another question:

Is Anthony likely to be considered for European club games or internationals? Is that another giant leap from where he is now or would that be the next stage of his progression? It would be great to see him officiating in the Champions League or at a World Cup.

Come on Alty!

Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »

Congratulations - its a high profile game (even if non league).

I notice he's done some high profile matches recently including (if memory serves) games involving Man U and Liverpool - hopefully a sign of future success.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:29 PM »

The next step for Ant will be for him to get on FIFA which, hopefully he will achieve. If successful he will then be eligible to Referee European ties and some Internationals

In terms of where it stands, this is his second national competition final - He has also refereed the Vase Final, also at Wembley.So it is a sign of him doing well IMHO

He has indeed had some of what people might call 'better' appointments recently (Two FA Cup Replays, Fourth Official at Wembley last Sunday and games so far involving Man Urd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »

I think he was 4th official in the Carling Cup Final as well.
Come on Alty!

John Crewe

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »

The next step for Ant will be for him to get on FIFA which, hopefully he will achieve. If successful he will then be eligible to Referee European ties and some Internationals

In terms of where it stands, this is his second national competition final - He has also refereed the Vase Final, also at Wembley.So it is a sign of him doing well IMHO

He has indeed had some of what people might call 'better' appointments recently (Two FA Cup Replays, Fourth Official at Wembley last Sunday and games so far involving Man Urd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal)
so the FA Trophy is hardly a big deal for him........maybe a step back?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »

John,

It is the second most senior FA Final Appointment in the country. The only 'bigger' one is the FA Cup Final.

Before you mention the Carling Cup please read carefully - I have said FA appointment.

Hence it is far from being a step back

York Alty

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »

right, now I've been educated I'm going to sat this is fantastic news. 

Any Altyite making a name for themselves in such a constructive way gets my full support.

Will we see "Altrincham" in the FA Trophy Final programme again after so many years?

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:54:37 PM »

John,

It is the second most senior FA Final Appointment in the country. The only 'bigger' one is the FA Cup Final.

Before you mention the Carling Cup please read carefully - I have said FA appointment.

Reminds me how excited the English media got when English officials were chosen for the World Cup Final - then ruined the most important of football matches.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »

right, now I've been educated I'm going to sat this is fantastic news. 

Any Altyite making a name for themselves in such a constructive way gets my full support.

Will we see "Altrincham" in the FA Trophy Final programme again after so many years?

Sadly not,

It will say Cheshire which is Ant's parent County

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 10:07:22 PM »

John,

Reminds me how excited the English media got when English officials were chosen for the World Cup Final - then ruined the most important of football matches.

Might I contend that the game was actually ruined (to use your term) by the players rather than the officials?

Beez

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »

Just as a slight aside, i've always thought it a bit unfair that the trophy final is officiated by top flight officials. As non league's showpiece game i reckon that the a conference referee should get the gig. That said if that happened, you'd end up with some tool like Ross Joyce.

Fair play to the lad though, he's done well for himself.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:16:04 PM by Beez »
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team