PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sexism in football
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sexism in football  (Read 5719 times)

RocketDan

Sexism in football
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »

Shouting and Heckling a referee or assistant official over a bad decision is almost a given, but to imply the reason the decision was made incorrect was due to the gender of the official is non-sensical and unacceptable.

From my opinion it was offside and that she made a mistake, but mistakes happen in football by all linesmen and at all levels - not just the women. Personally, I think all the linesmen/assistant referees we have had this season have been of a similar standard of mediocrity - be them old, young, black, white, gay, straight, male or female.

Some of the abuse thrown at the women running our side yesterday was totally uncalled for. Baring in mind, the offence people took to Dennis Birch recently, I wonder what peoples reactions would be if a fan claimed the assistant was unable to do their job on the basis of skin colour?

I'd also like to point out the club could have stopped this sorry affair by allowing the majority of vocal fans to stand where they normally do which is not directly infront of a linesman.

taxi Phil

Re: Sexism in football
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »

Shouting and Heckling a referee or assistant official over a bad decision is almost a given, but to imply the reason the decision was made incorrect was due to the gender of the official is non-sensical and unacceptable.

From my opinion it was offside and that she made a mistake, but mistakes happen in football by all linesmen and at all levels - not just the women. Personally, I think all the linesmen/assistant referees we have had this season have been of a similar standard of mediocrity - be them old, young, black, white, gay, straight, male or female.

Some of the abuse thrown at the women running our side yesterday was totally uncalled for. Baring in mind, the offence people took to Dennis Birch recently, I wonder what peoples reactions would be if a fan claimed the assistant was unable to do their job on the basis of skin colour?

I'd also like to point out the club could have stopped this sorry affair by allowing the majority of vocal fans to stand where they normally do which is not directly infront of a linesman.
This.

John Crewe

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »

well said

Alty Rock God

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »

Indeed.  I wonder how many of the people shouting sexist abuse (which wasn't funny, just embarrassing) thought it was right to eject Dennis Birch for his comments?  In my opinion, yesterday's comments were just as bad, and the abuse-givers should also have been ejected.  I also thought that the offside decision for the goal was correct, with the striker being in-line, not offside!  So there...

ALTYGAL

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »

well said, I always thought we had good, honest, decent fans ( the majority are ) but sometimes one or two both in the ground and on the forum really let our club down.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »

well said, I always thought we had good, honest, decent fans ( the majority are ) but sometimes one or two both in the ground and on the forum really let our club down.

I'm looking at you fatdog!

But seriously, it's not on at all, you wouldn't be laughing if it was your wife or daughter getting that kind of abuse, would you? Have a bit of respect.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

The Teasing Squad

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »

Stop teasing jamie

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »

I welcome female assistants and even refs at our level...as long as it doesn't affect the housework and their husbands don't mind....it adds interest to the game for me and good for them I say. In my experience I have never seen a consistently dreadful female official and the men have built up a pretty decent reputation as being truelly dreadful.

But if they want to officiate in front of what is almost certainly going to be a large bunch of men they are going to have to be able to take the stick that the male refs get...if they want equality then they should actually demand they are treated equally.

They are a different sex, that's why i love them, that is the reality and i live in the real world....but I'd like to think any comments passed about the official's sex are done in a gentlemanly well meant humorous way.....if that isn't too patronising on the fairer sex.

I do seem to remember an indian ref who took out his notebook to book a player, licked his pencil and the crowd started belting out orders for vindaloo and madras.....racist? almost certainly but it was genuinely meant in good humour and i remember the ref laughing his head off and seeing the funny side....

I'd think the ladies who take up officiating are made of stern stuff, fully prepared for a bit of stick  and do not wish to be patronised.....and I'd love to see more of the ladies as long as they are the best man for the job.

The last time i saw a female assistant at moss lane she came to the net to examine the nets and was welcomed with applause....followed by wolf whistles....she also smiled and seemed to appreciate both...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:53:23 PM by Jezza »

thegazelle

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 10:48:36 PM »

i think we should embrass women as linespersons and afterall it is 2012 , especially if they are topless

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »

i think we should embrass women as linespersons and afterall it is 2012 , especially if they are topless

Had to read that a few times as I thought it said "embarrass" as opposed to embrace  :D
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »

Or the ref could have put the assistants on the left-wings.
They really should be beating teams like us

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:47:57 PM »

Interesting postulation Ian, particularly from an official with experience of operating with assistants and familiar with the difficulties of running a different diagonal. 

John Crewe

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 11:51:30 PM »

Interesting postulation Ian, particularly from an official with experience of operating with assistants and familiar with the difficulties of running a different diagonal. 

I agree with you ATS for once

it was onside

Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 12:43:31 AM »

So wrong to be overtly sexist re a wrong decision - especially as the vid shows the player looked onside.

Lets give the young lady the credit and respect she deserves - the tottie did good!  ;)

thegazelle

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 08:08:14 AM »

Had to read that a few times as I thought it said "embarrass" as opposed to embrace  :D
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sexism in football