PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 England euro 2012 thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: England euro 2012 thread  (Read 47496 times)

Jezza

Re: England euro 2012 thread
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »

Many are raving about Terry's goal line (!) clearance, but he was (AGAIN) caught out of position in the build up.

so out of position and didn't get there in time actually!!!

thegazelle

« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »

i am no  football technician and am surprised we have got out of the group , i may well be missing something that is beyond my footballing brain but we have gone further than i thought we would maybe if we had a small re think....

Milner works hard but has no end product going forward  put in Walcot instead gives us alot more pace

Young looks light weight and loses the ball too much  give the ox a run

just a thought that gives a lot more going forward which i think we will need against the pizza munching spaghetti bolognaise denying cowards

Butty

« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2012, 09:17:40 PM »

i am no  football technician and am surprised we have got out of the group , i may well be missing something that is beyond my footballing brain but we have gone further than i thought we would maybe if we had a small re think....

Milner works hard but has no end product going forward  put in Walcot instead gives us alot more pace

Young looks light weight and loses the ball too much  give the ox a run

just a thought that gives a lot more going forward which i think we will need against the pizza munching spaghetti bolognaise denying cowards

Did I watch a different game than you when we played France? The Ox has one of the worst toches I've ever seen for such a massive star as he's billed out to be, last night Young brought down everything that was sprayed to him

joe

« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2012, 08:42:33 AM »

The best ending England could've hoped for IMO. Battled bravely against a far superior side and losing on pens is no disgrace and it has saved us from the Germans ripping us a new arsehole!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2012, 10:25:43 AM »

The best ending England could've hoped for IMO. Battled bravely against a far superior side and losing on pens is no disgrace and it has saved us from the Germans ripping us a new arsehole!
110 percent agree
ParkINson's red and white army

taxi Phil

« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »

Aside from the fact that it cost me over £80 on my HT/FT bet, I'd have been happier if we'd had a BSN referee's asssistant. The offside goal would have stood, I wouldn't have wasted an hour of my life, we could have spent the two years up to the World Cup whingeing that we'd been the victims of a terrible injustice, and we wouldn't be a total laughing stock because half of our nominated penalty takers YET AGAIN couldn't get the basics right  >:(
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:48:59 PM by taxi Phil »

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2012, 02:20:37 PM »

We are what we are I'm afraid, and that is "average"

markecky

« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »

A good summary.  I'm just glad we gave it a good go and there was no controversial exit.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »

I also feel that winning our group was an achievement in itself. Would have been lovely to go further but it was never really on the cards. I like Roy Hodgson and think he is capable of taking us further if he's given the chance.

What I'd like to see happen now is Hodgson start to bring the next generation through and dispense with some of the old guard. If only more young English players were playing top flight football week in, week out....
Come on Alty!

Robin Reliant

« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2012, 04:26:01 PM »

I also feel that winning our group was an achievement in itself. Would have been lovely to go further but it was never really on the cards. I like Roy Hodgson and think he is capable of taking us further if he's given the chance.

What I'd like to see happen now is Hodgson start to bring the next generation through and dispense with some of the old guard. If only more young English players were playing top flight football week in, week out....

[/quote]
Aside from the fact that it cost me over £80 on my HT/FT bet, I'd have been happier if we'd had a BSN referee's asssistant. The offside goal would have stood, I wouldn't have wasted an hour of my life, we could have spent the two years up to the World Cup whingeing that we'd been the victims of a terrible injustice, and we wouldn't be a total laughing stock because half of our nominated penalty takers YET AGAIN couldn't get the basics right  >:(

Agree with both the above. we were average,Terry was terrible, and Rooney was all but invisible.

Jezza

« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »

all the ravings about how tight we were defensively is IMO rubbish....we conceded twice to the swedes, looked rocky V ukraine and were ripped apart repeatedly by italy and were lucky not to get hit for 6.

Terry may have thrown his body about in admirable fashion but looked very vulnerable to a simple ball over the top.

Wayne Rooney was not fit and I don't think he is a world class player ever capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck like ronaldo (much as I hate him)....the world must be scratching their heads at our idolisation of a player who has never produced what he promised...mainly because I believe he is a smoker and has lost the yard of pace to go with his robust strength.

The new batch of player coming through do not look that promising.....we will probably have a very tough defence with richards, cahill, lescott, hart and probably ashley cole....johnson I thought has come on in leaps and bounds.

We have a bit of pace but not much quality up front, the midfield engine is on it's last legs and need replacing so rebuilding this side to make it better will be a tough call.

The main problem is that our english premier league cultivates foreign talent while stifling english talent...we are probably stuck with needing negative hard to beat tactics getting us to the next world cup and hodgson has done a good job wmaking the best of what he has available...although there were some gaps in his squad selection

Butty

« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »

Don't know if I was watching a different game, but most of the time Terry was at right back covering Johnson going forward and the balls went over Lescott's head? I was also impressed with Carroll when he came on, won almost every ball in the air for us- more than Welbeck managed

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »

all the ravings about how tight we were defensively is IMO rubbish....we conceded twice to the swedes, looked rocky V ukraine and were ripped apart repeatedly by italy and were lucky not to get hit for 6.

Terry may have thrown his body about in admirable fashion but looked very vulnerable to a simple ball over the top.

Wayne Rooney was not fit and I don't think he is a world class player ever capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck like ronaldo (much as I hate him)....the world must be scratching their heads at our idolisation of a player who has never produced what he promised...mainly because I believe he is a smoker and has lost the yard of pace to go with his robust strength.

The new batch of player coming through do not look that promising.....we will probably have a very tough defence with richards, cahill, lescott, hart and probably ashley cole....johnson I thought has come on in leaps and bounds.

We have a bit of pace but not much quality up front, the midfield engine is on it's last legs and need replacing so rebuilding this side to make it better will be a tough call.

The main problem is that our english premier league cultivates foreign talent while stifling english talent...we are probably stuck with needing negative hard to beat tactics getting us to the next world cup and hodgson has done a good job wmaking the best of what he has available...although there were some gaps in his squad selection

I'll stick my neck out and say the Premier League is part of the problem.  Not a single member of England's squad plays overseas. The Premier League is a physical, high speed drama fest build around TV and a worldwide market.  The Spanish and Italian leagues are, for me, slower tempo and more skillful.  The German league plays less games and breaks for six weeks, and their domestic structure is better geared towards the national team.

Our players looked knackered last night and the gulf in skill, passing and technique was damning.  The Irish depend heavily on English clubs too and were awful at times.  Our clubs do well in the Champions League but it runs all season and the foreign players in my view strengthen the teams. 

Hardly scientific I know, but there are 34 Spanish based players in Euro 2012, and 28 are still there.  45 players based in Germany, 19 left.  11 play in Portugal and all are still out there.  31 Italian based players,23 left.  77 English based players, only 9 left.  39 went out in the first round.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 England euro 2012 thread