News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 furthest non league side in the fa cup?

Author Topic: furthest non league side in the fa cup?  (Read 18787 times)

whopper

« on: July 23, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »

Just having it out with a kidderminster fan as he reckons they have got the furthest out of any non league team meaning they are bigger giant killers than us apparently.   :-\

Im sure we have knocked out the most currently from none league but have we never made it to the 5th round?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: furthest non league side in the fa cup?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »

The furthest we got was the 4th round against York City in 1986 after we'd knocked out Birmingham City in the 3rd round.

Come on Alty!

whopper

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »

So we kill the most giants but dont get far in the cup basically

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »

Blyth Spartans have the record, and I THINK it was a 5th.Round replay against Wrexham. Without wanting to devalue a fine achievement, I don't think they actually beat a "big" club. Can't see that record being beaten in a hurry.

bumble

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »

Blyth Spartans have the record, and I THINK it was a 5th.Round replay against Wrexham. Without wanting to devalue a fine achievement, I don't think they actually beat a "big" club. Can't see that record being beaten in a hurry.

Crawly made the 5th round  whilst in non league

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »

Kidderminster beat a (championship) Birmingham City away from home I think. Which they'd probably, but wrongly, compare to our achievement.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 03:23:14 PM »

From the FA website:

"Since the war, no non-League club has got beyond the Fifth Round of The FA Cup.

The five clubs who have managed to reach that round are Colchester United (1948), Yeovil Town (1949), Blyth Spartans (1978), Telford United (1985) and Kidderminster Harriers (1994).

Spartans, now in the Conference North, hit the headlines as a Northern League side in the 1977-78 FA Cup. They accounted for Burscough (Cheshire County League) 1-0 at home, Chesterfield (Division Three) 1-0 at home, Enfield (Isthmian League) 1-0 at home, and Stoke City (Division Two) 3-2 away on the way to a Fifth Round meeting with Third Division Wrexham at the Racecourse Ground. A last-gasp equaliser by the Welshmen set up a replay at Newcastle United's St James's Park home nine days later.

The Sixth Round draw had thrown up "Wrexham or Blyth Spartans v Arsenal", but the non-Leaguers missed out on a dream tie, an amazing crowd of 42,000 watching them lose the replay 2-1.

Harriers took their place in The Cup's last 16 in the 1993-94 season after beating Kettering Town (Conference) 3-0 at home, Woking (Conference) 1-0 at home, Birmingham City (Division One) 2-1 away, and Preston North End (Third Division) 1-0 at home. The Conference side then faced West Ham United at Aggborough Stadium and were undone by a Lee Chapman goal."

However, weren't Tottenham Hotspur a Non League club when they won the FA Cup back in 1901?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

roytonmike

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »

Correct, Cult. Tottenham Hotspur won the Cup as a Southern League club in 1901, defeating Sheffield United 3-1 in a replay after a 2-2 draw.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »

Correct, Cult. Tottenham Hotspur won the Cup as a Southern League club in 1901, defeating Sheffield United 3-1 in a replay after a 2-2 draw.

Thanks, Mike.

Did Chas & Dave also release one of their horrendous FA Cup songs that year?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »

Thanks, Mike.

Did Chas & Dave also release one of their horrendous FA Cup songs that year?

Yes, Chas and I are guilty as charged.   ;)

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »

However, Blyth earned a replay, hence they went furthest. Never argue with a pedant  ;)

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »

From the FA website:
"Since the war, no non-League club has got beyond the Fifth Round of The FA Cup.
The five clubs who have managed to reach that round are Colchester United (1948), Yeovil Town (1949), Blyth Spartans (1978), Telford United (1985) and Kidderminster Harriers (1994).
Spartans, now in the Conference North, hit the headlines as a Northern League side in the 1977-78 FA Cup. They accounted for Burscough (Cheshire County League) 1-0 at home, Chesterfield (Division Three) 1-0 at home, Enfield (Isthmian League) 1-0 at home, and Stoke City (Division Two) 3-2 away on the way to a Fifth Round meeting with Third Division Wrexham at the Racecourse Ground. A last-gasp equaliser by the Welshmen set up a replay at Newcastle United's St James's Park home nine days later.

The Sixth Round draw had thrown up "Wrexham or Blyth Spartans v Arsenal", but the non-Leaguers missed out on a dream tie, an amazing crowd of 42,000 watching them lose the replay 2-1.

Harriers took their place in The Cup's last 16 in the 1993-94 season after beating Kettering Town (Conference) 3-0 at home, Woking (Conference) 1-0 at home, Birmingham City (Division One) 2-1 away, and Preston North End (Third Division) 1-0 at home. The Conference side then faced West Ham United at Aggborough Stadium and were undone by a Lee Chapman goal."
However, weren't Tottenham Hotspur a Non League club when they won the FA Cup back in 1901?

I was at that game at St James Park as I was studying at Newcastle Uni then. Blyth (and striker Alan Shoulder) were very unlucky not to win it.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »

I think Blyth were robbed in that cup-tie. I think something to do with a corner flag not being in place which got Wrexham out of jail(not for the first time). Blyth got their revenge(sort of) when they won the Debenhams Cup the season after beating Wrexham over 2 legs.
They really should be beating teams like us

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »

And of course the FA Cup was won by a non-league club in each of the 17 years from 1872 to 1888.  Southampton got to the final, as a Southern League club in 1900 and 1902.  The first non league club to beat a league club was Warwick County, who beat Stoke City 2-1 in 1888-89

RocketDan

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »

I reckon it would be Truro city - thats about 300 miles away....

Oh.........
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team