Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Best and Worst Alty Journeys of all time!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Best and Worst Alty Journeys of all time!!!  (Read 13546 times)

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
Re: The Best and Worst Alty Journeys of all time!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 12:01:55 AM »

I'd have loved to have been the other way round but seeing coaches of macc fans banging on the windows of their coaches on the M6 when you still had  little tear in the eye was dreadful.

devastating
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:04:33 AM by GolfRoader »

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 12:10:39 AM »

I'd have loved to have been the other way round but seeing coaches of macc fans banging on the windows of their coaches on the M6 when you still had  little tear in the eye was dreadful.

devastating

devastating?

Doesn't even come near  :(

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:01 AM »

I am struggling to think of a better coach trip home than the one after beating Eastbourne at Stoke. Long enough to enjoy the moment and short enough that we were able to enjoy it to the full in the Noel White Suite that night.

Come on Alty!

RocketDan

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 01:07:28 AM »

Not sure what my worst Alty coach trip was - but driving back from Forest Green the other season when we were staring relegation in the face was a massive sh*tter. I can't even begin to imagine how the guys who do 12 hour round coach trips to eastbourne and the like feel, especially when we lost 6-0

As for best coach journeys: Barrow a couple of years ago after we won 3-0 springs to mind. Robbie Lawton came on the coach and shouter something like 'come on lads'. I Also, remember it being quite joyous on the way back from Kettering two years ago after a 3-3 draw, coming back from a goal down every time.

The train back from Halifax is always eventful too, although that could be a different thread entirely.....

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »

As for best coach journeys: Barrow a couple of years ago after we won 3-0 springs to mind

One of the best displays away from home from our last stint in the Conference.  Soaked up any pressure but clinical at the other end.   

Getting home from Farsley Celtic the other year in the rain wasn't much fun

Kingys Beard

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »

Worst:  Boston after that exceptionally ugly experience in the FA Trophy semi-final defeat circa 1985.  Also a COLD return from Mossley about 1979 after the supporters' coach got bricked.

Best: Runcorn following the FAT semi, April 8th (?) 1978.  Distilled euphoria!! ;D

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »

Worst:  Boston after that exceptionally ugly experience in the FA Trophy semi-final defeat circa 1985.  Also a COLD return from Mossley about 1979 after the supporters' coach got bricked.

Didn't attend that game myself, knew a few who did.  Gutted.

As said before Weymouth in the Trophy was a grand day out.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »

Best: Cheshire Senior Cup 2 nil victory over Crewe in 2005. The afternoon was spend in the pub at Cuddington. Plus more alcohol at Northwich. Going back on team coach to celebrate at Moss Lane. Geoff Goodwin buying everyone a drink. drinking champagne from the Cheshire Senior Cup. Ended at someone's house watching an Oasis documentary. Got back to Chester at 10am. I think I went straight to work.
Worst: Tamworth away in the FA Cup 4th qualifying round.
They really should be beating teams like us

ForeverAlty

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »

My best was Eastbourne at Stoke, great day for obvious reasons.

Worst was also Eastbourne, away, lost 0 - 5. Highlight was when Lawton came over to the fans to apoligise for the sh*t game.

joe

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »

Hmmm, probably need to take a bit of time to think about this but the worst that spring to mind are the last game of first relegation season away at Rushden 1997 and away at Salisbury on a Tuesday night where we lost 1-4 although at least pre game at Salisbury was ok.

At Rushden it was a case of this is going to be sh*t, this is sh*t, that was sh*t.

If we're taking the thread title then actually Salisbury was ok as a journey. Rushden definatley wasn't.

The best, Probably anything from the 1994/95 season with the minibus crew. x

It didn't help with Macc winning the title at Kettering the same day.....awful journey home

I didn't have a lot of time before so can now expand on my answer a little.

Best away days are numerous.  Loved my early train journeys to Northwich with the lads in the late eighties (how odd does that sound) and my first proper away to Wycombe in August of 1990 with Jimmy and Big Van Vader.

Its hard to think of some of the highlight as there have been a few despite my arrival in 1987 after the trophy win coinciding with the end of the glory years!

I loved the Unibond Cup win at Chesterfield, yeah it wasn't the FA trophy but it was a trophy and we'd won it!

Many of my best nights have come stood with the hardcore, 30 or 40 lunatics who have risked jobs and relationships to travel to some stupid place on a Tuesday.  Dover on a Tuesday, on a minibus?  Ludicrous.

Nuneaton, Kettering and Eastbourne obviously as we just didn't win those games as well.  The feeling I had at half time against Gainsborough the other Tuesday was pretty damn good as well for modern times.

As for the worst...well its been said but only at Alty and I mean only at Alty would the fixtures make us get relegated at Rushden and Macc promoted five miles away.  I'd have loved to have been the other way round but seeing coaches of macc fans banging on the windows of their coaches on the M6 when you still had  little tear in the eye was dreadful.

They didn't seem as loud at the services with no glass in between them but thats another story  :D

Mention for Ev in Socrates story, his plea of "I like Chelsea, I've got them on me coupon" failed to stop him getting smacked. 

I didn't enjoy getting pulled backwards off my stool by my hair at Preston by a man with a swallow tatooed on his neck.  Was it Wayno who got left on the fruit machine and missed it all?

Looking back, we stormed the main Preston Boozer next to the station, they weren't to know we just wanted a pint and bag of nuts.

Oh and any midweek defeat at Gateshead....

Especially if you're on your own in a clapped out maestro!!

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »

Ecky's maestro  ;)

Could we have that story again?

joe

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »

WORST : thursday night down to woking  4-0 arse whooping before they went to wembly and larence batty in net 2nd biggest cock of a goal keeper of all time

Most Bizzare : dagenham away , leaving messer newhall on m25 and he getting to the ground before us

Best :  Bromsgrove away one sunny september afternoon great win 3-0 great beer and all that went that day a great bunch of lads

I notice you and Boss Hogg are keeping very quiet about a certain away match at Welling.................... ;)

That Welling game wasn't the worst away day i've had even though we ended up in the wrong place! For anyone that doesn't know the story then basically i was an inexperienced driver back in 1992 and myself,Hash,Shakey and Ev piled into my old Renault 20 and set off for the match. What i didn't realise was that Welling didn't play in Welwyn Garden City and to make matters worse the faithful old Renault gave up the ghost as soon as we arrived so we had to spend the next 6 hours stopping a drunken Shaky starting fights with groups of local youths outside McDonalds while waiting for Hash's Dad to kindly come and recover us! When he did arrive and couldn't fix the car the idea to bring his mate with him turned out not to be the best idea in the world as the 4 of us had to squash in the back of his Ford Orion all the way home after leaving the stricken Renault behind!

Worst away day for me was Rushden the first year we went down. Meeting Macc on the services was just too much for the emotions!

Been too many to nominate the best away day but special mentions for Weymouth in the trophy,Guiseley and the hen hut the last game of the promotion season and the Eastbourne play off final.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »

The nil nil at Hereford was a good one, we parked the bus for that one  ;)

markecky

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 09:30:46 PM »

Ecky's maestro  ;)

Could we have that story again?

Its get an airing once every two years..originally posted ten years ago on the old forum:

Its the Bob Lord trophy circa 93-94(?), Gateshead v Alty. Always the worst cup in the days before we knew the presidents cup etc. We are 3-1 down from the first leg and always get beat at Gateshead, basically if I had a house I would have put it on us losing again.

My boss won't let me leave until 5 o'clock, but undeterred I jump in the Maestro (B124 UNE)on me own and head off as fast as I can. Absolutely flying towards the A1, weaving like the red arrows and when on it I just put my foot to the floor. The car would do 94 if you put both feet on the accelerator although the shake from the steering wheel make your teeth knock together but on I went.

Didnt have a clue where i was going but headed for Gateshead and had an atlas and some programme directions. As I approached the town (still doing 94) I was map reading with it on my knee whilst driving (it may have been me who invented Police, camera, action and the quote of "look at this idiot map reading at 90 in a built up area"). Only slowing for speed cameras I headed for the international stadium. I arived to find the car park full due to a big event at the sports centre bit of the ground, so dumped the car in the middle of the car park and ran in. Still in messy painted up work gear I ran to the top of the steps and, as if he had been waiting for me, the ref blew the whistle and the game started. It was as bad as expected and we lost 3-1 (agg 6-2). The game seemed to last ten minutes and before I knew it I was back in the car and ready to go home again. I remember standing with Andy A both in our own cars on our own laughing at how much petrol we had used and how it might be an idea to communcate next time.

Setting off back and coming down the M62 (I think) fog started to roll in off the fields next to the motorway and I could not see a thing. I remember thinking that this is what suicidal people must feel like.

As I attempted to drive the radio was getting quieter (no FM on it, just MW/LW with big preset button on the front and only fast forward on the tape) so I kept turning it up and I was getting more and more tired. Then the lights started to dim on the dashboard and the radio went off. Now I know nothing about cars at all you see. So I carried on and really just wanted to get home and never wake up again.

Made it to Washway Road and by now everything has gone off, no dashboard lights, heater, radio nothing. I only realise by the fact that everyone is flashing me that I have done the last 60 miles without lights. So as 50 people tell me to put my lights on and I try and tell them they don't work but i'm not arsed, I plod on down Washway Road. There is a terrible knocking sound from the engine as well that i had been masking by having Atlantic 252 on very loud.

I have had to slow down so its about 1 o'clock now and I'm just trying to make it home without passing any old bill and I get as far as Barrington Road lights and just pray that there are not any coppers in sight. As I fly through the lights the first car is obviously the police. I try and belt it round the corner past the George and Dragon but before long the blue lights are flashing and he pulls me over into that little road next to the Cresta. Trying to act surprised when he said I had no lights on, I went the front of the car and scratched my head. When I opened the bonnet I realised that the fan belt had melted.

As the copper and his mate had a good laugh at the Maestro, and refused to believe it was MOT'd, I just sat there wondering whether I was officially mad. After issuing my producer, they left. I thought sod it, I'm still driving home not realising that when I turned the key there was no ignition and I was stranded. Five minutes later they came back and said I couldnt leave the car there as it was on double yellow lines!! As I lost it and said I wouldnt have been there if they hadn't stopped me they went off laughing. I kicked the car and called me Dad who reminded me I was in the RAC and asked why i had woke him up at half two when they worked 24 hours a day.

RAC took an hour, home at 4, up at seven and its one of the few times I have thought that watching City/United must be easier than this.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »

I was actually at that game Ecky (no sh*t), seem to remember about 15-20 of us of had made the trip up there with no supporters coach going (could be wrong on that).  Plenty of space in that huge Main Stand that night.

I can't recall the score but it was dark and miserable but I know we got knocked out of the cup.  I got a lift off a family with a couple of tinnies for comfort, unlike you  ;)

It was one of those games when you thought lets go for it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:51:25 PM by Knutsford Alty »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Best and Worst Alty Journeys of all time!!!