Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Best and Worst Alty Journeys of all time!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Best and Worst Alty Journeys of all time!!!  (Read 13538 times)

Altyant

Re: The Best and Worst Alty Journeys of all time!!!
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »

Best ones: Darlington away in the relegation season, purely for the surreal experience of the Northern Echo Arena, Grimsby that same season, the 1-0 win away at Wrexham, Kendal away in an FA qualifier - the game its self was abysmal, but the bacon butties at the ground were so nice, I had something like 5 of them!!

Worst: Cambridge away in the relegation season - temperature must have been about -16, I'd been really ill the day before and we got tonked 4-0, Mansfield away in the FA qualifier, FCUM away last season along with Staley away that season

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »

Best ones: Darlington away in the relegation season, purely for the surreal experience of the Northern Echo Arena, Grimsby that same season, the 1-0 win away at Wrexham, Kendal away in an FA qualifier - the game its self was abysmal, but the bacon butties at the ground were so nice, I had something like 5 of them!!

Worst: Cambridge away in the relegation season - temperature must have been about -16, I'd been really ill the day before and we got tonked 4-0, Mansfield away in the FA qualifier, FCUM away last season along with Staley away that season

It was the coldest game I have ever been too, we were awful and sitting there cold was painful.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2012, 08:15:51 AM »

Worst:  Shildon away FA cup 2012.  After a defeat like that I don't think I've ever been on a more misserable coach. 

Best: Shildon away FA cup 2012.  A thrilling 7-1 win banished the fa cup whoo do.  Maybe this is the year the fa cup gets back on track.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

bumble

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »

Forest green rovers was pretty awful both times

3-1 up at HT to lose 4-3

But 1-0 defeat was wprse - im sure we had a second 45 minute stop at the services and a depresssing coach home (the atmosphere was class that day though...)

arnald

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »

Worst:  Shildon away FA cup 2012.  After a defeat like that I don't think I've ever been on a more misserable coach. 

Best: Shildon away FA cup 2012.  A thrilling 7-1 win banished the fa cup whoo do.  Maybe this is the year the fa cup gets back on track.
i think you have that one coverd toffy

nidgo

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2012, 09:25:18 AM »

Barrow away in the 80s  on a cold wet wednesday evening in the F.A. CUP relay,in the days of John Timmons and Jeff Johnson as manager,

the best must be Runcorn away Trophy semi final second leg 1978 or At Chesterfield in league cup final against Gainsborough under the brilliant Bernard Taylor.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »

Hmmm, probably need to take a bit of time to think about this but the worst that spring to mind are the last game of first relegation season away at Rushden 1997 and away at Salisbury on a Tuesday night where we lost 1-4 although at least pre game at Salisbury was ok.

At Rushden it was a case of this is going to be sh*t, this is sh*t, that was sh*t.

If we're taking the thread title then actually Salisbury was ok as a journey. Rushden definatley wasn't.

The best, Probably anything from the 1994/95 season with the minibus crew. x

It didn't help with Macc winning the title at Kettering the same day.....awful journey home

I didn't have a lot of time before so can now expand on my answer a little.

Best away days are numerous.  Loved my early train journeys to Northwich with the lads in the late eighties (how odd does that sound) and my first proper away to Wycombe in August of 1990 with Jimmy and Big Van Vader.

Its hard to think of some of the highlight as there have been a few despite my arrival in 1987 after the trophy win coinciding with the end of the glory years!

I loved the Unibond Cup win at Chesterfield, yeah it wasn't the FA trophy but it was a trophy and we'd won it!

Many of my best nights have come stood with the hardcore, 30 or 40 lunatics who have risked jobs and relationships to travel to some stupid place on a Tuesday.  Dover on a Tuesday, on a minibus?  Ludicrous.

Nuneaton, Kettering and Eastbourne obviously as we just didn't win those games as well.  The feeling I had at half time against Gainsborough the other Tuesday was pretty damn good as well for modern times.

As for the worst...well its been said but only at Alty and I mean only at Alty would the fixtures make us get relegated at Rushden and Macc promoted five miles away.  I'd have loved to have been the other way round but seeing coaches of macc fans banging on the windows of their coaches on the M6 when you still had  little tear in the eye was dreadful.

They didn't seem as loud at the services with no glass in between them but thats another story  :D

Mention for Ev in Socrates story, his plea of "I like Chelsea, I've got them on me coupon" failed to stop him getting smacked. 

I didn't enjoy getting pulled backwards off my stool by my hair at Preston by a man with a swallow tatooed on his neck.  Was it Wayno who got left on the fruit machine and missed it all?

Looking back, we stormed the main Preston Boozer next to the station, they weren't to know we just wanted a pint and bag of nuts.

Oh and any midweek defeat at Gateshead....

I was happily filling the fruit machine when I was informed that I was the only Alty fan left in the pub and I should leave forthwith I collected my cash and walked it didnt help that I was decked in full read and white !
ParkINson's red and white army

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »

Best would prob be stoke city great day and night however all the games before we're amazing in the play offs tbh

Worst? Difficult to say but one sticks in my mind it was an away game I think a cup game ? A lot of beer was drank on the coach and there was no toilet the driver would not stop again it was down south somewhere

People starting pissing in the empty cans needless to say the cans started to fall over and urine started to flow down the centre gantry of the coach as it stopped the sea of piss moved forward then back etc etc

It got worse as then someone on the coach stole some money out of a bag I recall and banned for life of the coaches

Another would be getting flattened at southport when I ran on when carmody scored a. 25 yard screamer to make it 2  1 the players picked me up off the pitch ha ha

Far to many more to recall northwich and Macc were the worst

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »

Oh and when sean beat me up on the coach after we won the cup ha ha class

ScoreDaws

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »

Best- play off v Eastbourne at the Britannia stadium
Worst- every time we lose away!!

whopper

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »

Im trying to remember a defeat 5-2 at macclesfield in the 90's remember it was awefull :(

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »

Macc 1 Alty 6 (1968)

Best: The match itself and the majority of the journey home
Worst; Moss Rose to the Macc Bus station avoiding a hiding several times by the skin of our teeth!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

AltyFanInNottm

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2012, 09:51:47 PM »

Worst coach trip was Frickley Athletic away in the FA Cup in the early/mid 80s. Although we won, it was scary as feck, and the coach in front got bricked. Loads of eyes staring round corners, on the way out of there, like a multitude of Gollums.

Best was the FA trophy final win over the corn in 86.

Also sh*t was Solihull away and Cambridge utd in sub zero temperatures. 50 fans facing the wind in a 2,000 seater stand. Brrr.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 09:58:21 PM »

Worst coach trip was Frickley Athletic away in the FA Cup in the early/mid 80s. Although we won, it was scary as feck, and the coach in front got bricked. Loads of eyes staring round corners, on the way out of there, like a multitude of Gollums.

Best was the FA trophy final win over the corn in 86.

Also sh*t was Solihull away and Cambridge utd in sub zero temperatures. 50 fans facing the wind in a 2,000 seater stand. Brrr.

Wasn't that in the height out of the miner's strike?  The dispute exposed deep divisions in British society and caused considerable bitterness but lets not go there  ;)

Jimmy

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2012, 10:12:15 PM »

Indeed though we drew no score and won replay we didn't win on day.

quote]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Best and Worst Alty Journeys of all time!!!