PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team for Corby
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Team for Corby  (Read 16067 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Team for Corby
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »

I suppose that it all boils down to that old conundrum: would you prefer to win 3-0 or 5-2?

We've made great strides over the last eight unbeaten matches.

Two clean sheets away from Moss Lane; two FA Cup victories; the team seems to have evolved into a much more resolute unit and yet we have still maintained our attacking threat.

Now, if we can also add going on to win a game when the opposition have been ahead to our repertoire, I might just be convinced that a play-off position is well within our range!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2012, 11:49:40 PM »

Well, we didn't make the 100 goals last year, we've given ourselves another shot at it this year.
With the strikers we have, surely it's on the cards, especially as we now know that when we attack we have a capable defence behind us. The tide is turning, teams above us aren't invincible, roll on the next game!!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2012, 12:49:15 AM »

A few other random points (not about the match).

1. Match programme was crap and overpriced at £2.50-it didn't even have their league results and fixtures this season in there-surely that's a must!
2. Nice little set up but essentially their ground has two sides. No teracing or roof behind one goal and the pop side backs onto their old main stand (their old ground being next door literally-random).A classic new ground, slightly souless out of town feel to it, I hope we never move away from the town centre to Broadheath or something. Only a tenner to get in though-very cheap that.
3. Good scoff from cheery middle aged Scotch ladies. I passed on the Irn Bru though.
4. Real end of the line feel to the town. Bugger all there, think we spotted one pub in the two mile cab ride from the station to the ground (along with the Rangers supporters club, obviously). Not ever going to be troubling the scorers in the top away day category. Just like their dearly departed neighbours Rushden and Kettering. It's a bleak part of the world is Northants.

PeterJ

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2012, 01:01:34 AM »

Second game of the season for me and what a game. Alty were magnificent and were solid at the back and purring going forward. Boston should worry!

taxi Phil

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2012, 06:14:58 AM »

A few other random points (not about the match).

1. Match programme was crap and overpriced at £2.50-it didn't even have their league results and fixtures this season in there-surely that's a must!
2. Nice little set up but essentially their ground has two sides. No teracing or roof behind one goal and the pop side backs onto their old main stand (their old ground being next door literally-random).A classic new ground, slightly souless out of town feel to it, I hope we never move away from the town centre to Broadheath or something. Only a tenner to get in though-very cheap that.
3. Good scoff from cheery middle aged Scotch ladies. I passed on the Irn Bru though.
4. Real end of the line feel to the town. Bugger all there, think we spotted one pub in the two mile cab ride from the station to the ground (along with the Rangers supporters club, obviously). Not ever going to be troubling the scorers in the top away day category. Just like their dearly departed neighbours Rushden and Kettering. It's a bleak part of the world is Northants.
I also noticed that the pen pictures of our squad in that programme missed out a number of key players - notably Coburn and Densmore !

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 08:02:23 AM »

Here are some Corby fans comments posted elsewhere on Alty yesterday,....

"Alty on todays showing are the best side we have played this season Watmore was excellent, but they didnt have a poor player on the park."

"Yeah i have to echo what Dave has said. We weren't up to much but that was one of the most impressive first half displays i've seen. Reeves is top top class and that wee number 7 was amazing. I was seriously contemplating losing by double figures and if alty didn't take their foot off the gas completely in the second half i think it would have been, so thanks for that!  Well done alty, and as perverse as it is i actually enjoyed watching your first half demolition of us. The movement, passing and interaction of the front line was scarey. Sometimes you have to just sit back, take your beating like a man, and move on smile"

"100% agree with you A09. Alty are a class side, really enjoyed the match today. I will never complain if the better side won and they did. Corby upped the game in the 2nd half and deserved the 2 goals."

Makes good reading doesn't it,...however, we need to do this again next Saturday and it wont be easy at Buston. ;)

Jezza

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2012, 08:16:32 AM »

from that report the following two sentences stood out for me;

Their movement, desire and finishing was first class while Corby were, at best, lacklustre and a far cry from the performances of recent weeks.

There was an improvement after the break as a mixture of the visitors taking their foot off the gas and the Steelmen finally turning up ensured it didn’t get any more embarrassing

markecky

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »

I have been critical of lee in the past but i believe in being fair and judge people on results

Therfore i will say again well done another great result long may it continue

It would be amazing to get into the 1st round proper and get some cash for the club

We're clearly going in the right direction now and are getting the results to prove it.

The next test will be when we do eventually lose one.  Hopefully this run will calm the hysteria that can follow and we don't let it derail everything.

One of the big pluses for me yesterday was (despite the fact he was brilliant as ever) yesterday wasn't just the Reevesie show, there was quality all over.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »

After conceding the first goal we didn't start a Gainsborough mare.

Although Corby are no Gainsborough.

Their second was against ten men after Watmore had been taken off.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2012, 11:51:15 AM »

The last 3 games tell us a lot about the development of the team. Stortford was a good result  - sure on another day it could have been 3 points but they're no mugs at home. Leek was a great performance teamwork wise if not the football, but on that pitch it was never going to be. Yesterday's first half reminded me of some of the performances in 90-91 - we were superb. Still room for improvement, it was a shame we couldn't keep a clean sheet and we should play the simple ball more often when holding on to a lead.

However, that's merely wanting the team to reach their potential not an out and out criticism. There was a period going into the final few minutes where we retained possession from our box to theirs and back again for at least a minute. With that level of confidence on the ball and our attacking threat we're definitely headed in the right direction. Massive test on Saturday and a great opportunity to earn a pay-day - come on Alty make it happen.

fuertes

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »

Another excellent result. I'm genuinely amazed that conceding a couple of goals when the game was already won has annoyed some people as much as it has, but hey, people have different ways of looking at things.

Eight unbeaten, on the verge of the playoffs with games in hand and in the final qualifying round of the cup (with a few grand pocketed already). Things look bright.

The 'Sinnott Out' brigade have gone a bit quiet, haven't they?  ;D

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »

Another excellent result. I'm genuinely amazed that conceding a couple of goals when the game was already won has annoyed some people as much as it has, but hey, people have different ways of looking at things.

Eight unbeaten, on the verge of the playoffs with games in hand and in the final qualifying round of the cup (with a few grand pocketed already). Things look bright.

tut tut it was the sinnout brigade please its all in the detail
ParkINson's red and white army

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2012, 08:20:13 AM »

Agree we should focus on the great result, the excellent performances going forward and not read too much into goals conceded when the result seemed safe.
I would also like to us start to be a bit tighter at the back too. Against the better teams it will be tighter and our excellent forwards could have a day off or an unlucky one. On those days a bit more solidity will count.
Oxford away is a case in point. We probably should have won away against a team doing well at the top of the league. Instead we conceded two poor goals and only got a point.
I'm more than happy with the manager and the 'score one more than the opposition' style would be fun to watch but I don't believe for a minute that is the plan. I'm sure the manger and players expect the team to be tighter at the back and concede fewer than they have so far.

Sinn' in.   :)

markecky

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »

Agree we should focus on the great result, the excellent performances going forward and not read too much into goals conceded when the result seemed safe.
I would also like to us start to be a bit tighter at the back too. Against the better teams it will be tighter and our excellent forwards could have a day off or an unlucky one. On those days a bit more solidity will count.
Oxford away is a case in point. We probably should have won away against a team doing well at the top of the league. Instead we conceded two poor goals and only got a point.
I'm more than happy with the manager and the 'score one more than the opposition' style would be fun to watch but I don't believe for a minute that is the plan. I'm sure the manger and players expect the team to be tighter at the back and concede fewer than they have so far.

Sinn' in.   :)

I think the back four has made progress from the Oxford game and is a very tight unit now.  Saturday goals weren't really avoidable (where as last season you could have looked a to a howler or no marking).

I also reckon they will continue to improve just like Moult and Rodgers.

We know what the forward line can do so these are excitng times I feel at the moment.

Just wish there was a video of Saturday so everyone could see how well we did going forward first half...it was comical watching Corby panicing.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Team for Corby