PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan Protection
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Duncan Protection  (Read 22537 times)

Jenga

Duncan Protection
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »

I stated in the previous thread that we do not know what goes on behind the scenes and there may be a perfect reason why Duncan didnt start against Gainsborough.

All I can say is I agree with Mr Sinnott and his reasons seem sound to me.

Again perhaps we should trust our management in these things rather than jump down his throat.

Now that LS has voiced his opinion and reasons I wonder what peoples opinions are now?

Hamilton

Re: Duncan Protection
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »

I've not made a judgement on this up to now, though I love to see Duncan's skills on the pitch.

However, Lee is a man of years experience in football, will have worked with some decent managers and seen young talented players like Duncan before, so I find his judgement reasoned and sensible.

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »

His reasons for not starting Duncan sounded perfectly reasonable.

Surprise surprise, a football manager with years of experience in the game on the playing and coaching side isn't crazy after all. Who'd a thunk it?

whopper

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »

For me he's wrong and making excuses, if your good enough your old enough and if he wants to take him off after 60 minutes each game to keep him fit and protect him then fine,

There's 18 year old's playing 3 games a week at the top level regularly and we will be lucky to play 1 a week until February, I expect to see him start next game.

fuertes

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:17:59 PM »

For me he's wrong and making excuses, if your good enough your old enough and if he wants to take him off after 60 minutes each game to keep him fit and protect him then fine,

There's 18 year old's playing 3 games a week at the top level regularly and we will be lucky to play 1 a week until February, I expect to see him start next game.

So you think Sinnott doesn't rate Duncan Watmore and left him out against Gainsborough because he didn't think he was good enough to make an impact?

whopper

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »

So you think Sinnott doesn't rate Duncan Watmore and left him out against Gainsborough because he didn't think he was good enough to make an impact?
I dont think that no, but i think he made a mistake in not starting him when he could quite easily start him then take him off later, seems right to me.

whopper

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »

also if duncan was at a pro club (which i can imagine him being at very soon) if the situation was what lee is suggesting then they would loan him out to gain experience and play more regularly at this level anyway!!

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 03:39:41 PM »

Has anyone considered Duncan's own view on this subject ?

whopper

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 03:58:21 PM »

Has anyone considered Duncan's own view on this subject ?
and that is?

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »

My opinion is that he should still play if fit! Never harmed other young players! Sinnott is the same age; 18, so he will have to be looked after too! Its an excuse to me! More chance of getting injured having 15-20 mins chasing a result as he won't be fully warmed up expecting to make an instant impact in a high temp game!

whopper

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »

last season it was all about why start twiss? this season it is why not watmore, only at alty  ::)

fuertes

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »

My opinion is that he should still play if fit! Never harmed other young players! Sinnott is the same age; 18, so he will have to be looked after too! Its an excuse to me! More chance of getting injured having 15-20 mins chasing a result as he won't be fully warmed up expecting to make an instant impact in a high temp game!

That's quite simply false.

And it really depends on the individual, doesn't it? Someone like Wayne Rooney was basically a fully-grown man by the time he was 16. Whereas Duncan is obviously still growing taller and filling out, which has implications for his fitness.

RocketDan

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »

If your good enough your old enough! Lets not forget Lee Sinnott was only 18 when he played for Watford in the 1984 FA Cup final. I wonder how Lee would have felt if Graham Taylor had decided to rest him in that game for fear of ruining his development.

JDN

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »

I stated in the previous thread that we do not know what goes on behind the scenes and there may be a perfect reason why Duncan didnt start against Gainsborough.

All I can say is I agree with Mr Sinnott and his reasons seem sound to me.

Again perhaps we should trust our management in these things rather than jump down his throat.

Now that LS has voiced his opinion and reasons I wonder what peoples opinions are now?
It's the same old bollocks Sinnott excuses

Stop this farce now

JDN

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »

His reasons for not starting Duncan sounded perfectly reasonable.

Surprise surprise, a football manager with years of experience in the game on the playing and coaching side isn't crazy after all. Who'd a thunk it?
out of touch Banbury
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan Protection