PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Winter break the future???
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Winter break the future???  (Read 10059 times)

taxi Phil

Re: Winter break the future???
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »

Football isnt a sport to be played in winter conditions without undersoil heating.
Although it was managed perfectly well for over 80 years before such luxuries existed.

York Alty

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »

nonsense debate - this is a crazy plan. utterly preposterous.  stop this silly talk before some idiot at the FA think "oooh that's a good idea"
why? would the world end?

No of course the world wouldn't end.  What would end are the wonderful cold, bright and dry winter days when it's cracking to get out of the house, get to a game and watch the Alty Heroes. 

We can swap that for a rain sodden, chilly February evening.  Why would anybody do that? Would you do that?

As soon as you find somebody who can accurately predict the weather, six - nine months ahead (so we know when to have this break) for this temperate island you come back and tell me.  Until then this topic is a dead dog.

Jenga

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 01:02:24 AM »

trololololol

whopper

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 02:18:52 AM »

Football isnt a sport to be played in winter conditions without undersoil heating.
Although it was managed perfectly well for over 80 years before such luxuries existed.
indeed. before crowd health and safety etc, traditionalists wont like it even though they will see more football and be able to plan to go to a game that isnt backlogged.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 07:31:43 AM »

They should only be playing on Boxing Day and New Years Day during the Christmas break with the Saturdays, when BD and NYD fall on a midweek date, used if the game is called off on these dates. I mean why do we have to go to Histon on the 28th December?
They really should be beating teams like us

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »

Obviously Ridgeway Rocket is a " new" football supporter ? lets play on plastic grass, under a roof with the heating on etc  ::) as said most of europe knows what tomorrows weather will be, for us it's allways a lottery.
Although with bundersleiga admission prices every staduim here would be full !

whopper

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »

Obviously Ridgeway Rocket is a " new" football supporter ? lets play on plastic grass, under a roof with the heating on etc  ::) as said most of europe knows what tomorrows weather will be, for us it's allways a lottery.
Although with bundersleiga admission prices every staduim here would be full !
im anything but a new supporter BDR, as cestrian just said why do we play histon on 28th december? Its obvios if played in may more people would attend.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »

I dare say the same 70 people who always make the trip to Histon would go irrespective of the date when it's played....
Come on Alty!

whopper

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »

I dare say the same 70 people who always make the trip to Histon would go irrespective of the date when it's played....
but the whole crowd still be a lot more if played on a better date.

whopper

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »

bighairedmike

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »

but the whole crowd still be a lot more if played on a better date.

Better date and winter break are two separate things. It baffles me why we are going to Histon (one of the farthest journerys in our league campaign) between Christmas and new year yet are playing Droylesden in may. That seems like a daft idea and will have an effect on the crowds due to the expense at that time of year. If we played in May against Histon I would suggest there may be a lower crowd than in December due to what looks like an impending relegation for histon meaning less people would turn up.

York Alty

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »

Better planning of fixtures is something I agree with 100%.  A winter break is NOT better planning of fixtures.

whopper

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 12:24:34 AM »

Well to be honest the attendance figures speak volumes, its not working, empty stands mean more club debts.

York Alty

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 12:43:33 AM »

Well to be honest the attendance figures speak volumes, its not working, empty stands mean more club debts.

So you move fixture to the summer when people are more likely to be away?  You scrap the boxing day fixtures that if planned correctly can attract bumper gates?

I am no traditionalist believe me, but footy is a WINTER game.  Start fannying around with that and you'll be changing the character of the game.  As I said before when you can predict the weather 6 - 9 months ahead you come back and tell me and the Met Office all about it yeah.  cheers.

whopper

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 01:03:32 AM »

So you move fixture to the summer when people are more likely to be away?  You scrap the boxing day fixtures that if planned correctly can attract bumper gates?

I am no traditionalist believe me, but footy is a WINTER game.  Start fannying around with that and you'll be changing the character of the game.  As I said before when you can predict the weather 6 - 9 months ahead you come back and tell me and the Met Office all about it yeah.  cheers.
come on people go away in the winter to thats not relevant, i know it would be hard to implecate a full scale fixture change at first it may be gradual, and games of football cant be played in frosty wintery conditions without undersoil heating so like i said its not really a winter sport at our level is it?

And at the end of the day this is something that they are looking at changing so its not just me.

Empty seats all around old trafford u cant tell me that would happen in may.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:09:16 AM by Ridgeway Rocket »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Winter break the future???